Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Wow this is going great guns.

Does anyone think that a list of names in alphabet order would help people,that way people can go through the list & see if there are any names connected to them,or would it end up being too long??

Just a thought.
Have to have another read through when i have more time,happy hunting everyone!
kat
Message 101 of 4,080
Latest reply

Maybe we can tell our sucess stories.

Mine doesn't have too many details....his name is enough for anyone doing family history to groan.....you will know what I mean.

Here he is........John Brown.

Photobucket
Message 102 of 4,080
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
haha Flashie, you had better start at this end and work back. Birth and Death Certificates are a tad expensive but give you a lot of information, usually enough to go back the next generation.
Message 103 of 4,080
Latest reply

darkside - what a shame about the disposal of those items. Very sad.
It's interesting that some people, to some degree or other, are interested in their family history. Then others wouldn't even know or care where their own parents were born.
My brothers were very cheeky for many years, & used to take the micky out of Dad, they would say "Oh, the forebears, here we go again..." Now that we are all in our 30's & 40's, my brothers have a better appreciation for it all. Plus they have their own copy of the whole thing, courtesy of the years of work of my Dad & me.
Message 104 of 4,080
Latest reply

You're right Flashie, would be very difficult. My son-in-law is also a Brown (Matthew John) from Tasmania. Although his family actually did finally succeed in creating a Family Tree, whether it's totally accurate is anyone's guess, but he did find there was a touch of Aboriginal in his ancestors, so this probably helped a lot. :-x
Message 105 of 4,080
Latest reply

Ilicit.....my John Brown was a convict from England.....and he only had daughters who survived into adulthood.......a very sad story.
Message 106 of 4,080
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor
Flashie, I was researching the name John Campbell from Greenock in Scotland, with other family names Robert and William.
I was talking to a researcher in Greenock and she laughed when I mentioned the names I was looking for....apparently John, Robert or William covers about 90% of the male population of Greenock.
Message 107 of 4,080
Latest reply

I had one tree I was trying to research in Scotland and I was getting nowhere fast.....until someone told me in Scotland the name Jean/Jeanie is interchangable with Jane.

For goodness sakes why!

But I eventually found the person after being told that.
Message 108 of 4,080
Latest reply

I had one tree I was trying to research in Scotland and I was getting nowhere fast.....until someone told me in Scotland the name Jean/Jeanie is interchangable with Jane.

For goodness sakes why!

But I eventually found the person after being told that.

Probably : jeanette Jeanie Jean
Janet Jane

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 109 of 4,080
Latest reply

She was born as Jeanie....known as Jean...died as Jane.

Well I am all caught up now.....so if anyone wants me to look something up for them just message me.....and I will try to find them for you.
Message 110 of 4,080
Latest reply