Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Also does anyone know a good free UK site - I don't really want to fork out for ancestry.com just yet.

For information that doesn't require you to sign up. freereg......freebmd......freecen

If it is just to write up your tree on try genes reunited or tribal pages.
Message 91 of 4,080
Latest reply

This is a good site for information about convicts ......

http://foundersandsurvivors.org/
Message 92 of 4,080
Latest reply

I have been able to trace my mothers family back to an English lady called lily Lane she came out here in 1895 in a boat carrying convicts.

She was married to one of the officers but because he was involved in a lot of murders of convicts she divorced him on arrival and married another officer.

I would like to trace her ancestry back in England.

My fathers Family came here from Germany in 1855
A mother Father and 7 children but all died on the ship except one child who would later become my great great grandfather.

off shoots of his family still live in the same town in Germany.
Message 93 of 4,080
Latest reply

darkside - Hi Yourself.
Yes, Dad & I were doing this WELL before computers were common place at home, & the internet - CLEARLY NOT. So clearly, no access to databases or online anything. This is the 1980's & very early 1990's I'm talking about here.
Dad's Dad was a hoarder of paperwork ( a hoarder of all sorts of other stuff too), most of it was junk, but amazingly Pop kept a big tin trunk with all sorts of family stuff in it - personal papers, birth certs, photos, military records, school records, marriage info, even maps he marked up with where various family members had lived & when.
He had several books of stuff he has written over very many years, about family members too. That was a trove of info, as you could imagine. Hence the road trips I referred to, to churches & schools & tiny towns to piece things together.
Pop was known in the family as the deposit of all types of records, so as each family member died or there was no one else to keep the stuff, it all got sent to Pop.
Pop must have had a confidence that someone else would continue to keep these family records, & we all benefit from him doing so... The big tin trunk became unuseable, but the info in it, wow!

Oh lovetosew.. excuse me while I turn green.. sigh! I had an aunt like that, but have no access to her papers.. her son has them all and as far as I know he had ditched them :_|

Message 94 of 4,080
Latest reply

I have been able to trace my mothers family back to an English lady called lily Lane she came out here in 1895 in a boat carrying convicts.

She was married to one of the officers but because he was involved in a lot of murders of convicts she divorced him on arrival and married another officer.

I would like to trace her ancestry back in England.

My fathers Family came here from Germany in 1855
A mother Father and 7 children but all died on the ship except one child who would later become my great great grandfather.

off shoots of his family still live in the same town in Germany.

Margo you might be able to trace her through the convict ships logs... try the NSW State Library, they have a pretty comprehensive convict history, so they would also have officers and the names of ships and the dates.

That you have 1895 is great, here's the site

http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/services/family_history/

Message 95 of 4,080
Latest reply

There has been some great links on this thread, thanks very much!

When I did some research on hubbys and mine Scottish ancestors I found our respective clans had been warring .... not much has changed in six centuries!! lol ๐Ÿ™‚

If anyone else has any other good sites I'd appreciate them.
Card Biz ~ Stationery for all Occasions.
Message 96 of 4,080
Latest reply

Margo, I think I may have found your 'Lily' Lane.

http://www.easystreetretreat.com.au/australianroyalty/individual.php?pid=I64106&ged=purnellmccord.ged

If this is her, then her name was actually Lucy and although she came on a convict ship she was not a convict herself.

You gave the date of her arrival as 1895 (presume you meant 1795) Lucy arrived in January 1796.

And she 'married' to two soldiers though they were not officers.

Unfortunately there is no mention of her parents.
Message 97 of 4,080
Latest reply

margo I found this attatched to a tree on ancestry.

LUCY LANE C1773-1845
Lucy Lane was a young Englishwoman who arrived in Sydney as a free person on 27 May 1797, aboard the convict transport Britannia. It was a nighmarish voyage as the shipโ€™s master believed Irish convicts he was transporting were planning to mutiny, and he meted out a total of 7,900 lashes to the suspects. Six convicts died as a result of their punishment. Lucy accompanied Thomas Sherland, a private in the 102nd Regiment, also known as the NSW Corps, and later as the Rurn Corps. During the voyage, in the Bay of Biscay, Lucy gave birth to Mary Lane Sherland, probably on 28 December 1796. Both Lucy and Mary survived the dreadful voyage and lived long lives. (Some records show that Lucy travelled aboard the Ganges, but this is incorrect as she named Britannia as the ship she arrived on for the 1828 census). Nothing certain is known about Lucyโ€™s origins, but based on information given at her death, she was born about 1773. No record has been found to show Lucy married Thomas Sherland, but their daughter Mary claimed in a letter she wrote in 1851, that they were married in England about 18 January 1796.
Lucyโ€™s and Thomas Sherlandโ€™s relationship must not have been a happy one as they separated less than a year after arriving in Sydney, and Lucy entered a de facto relationship with Private John Rousseau, also of the 102nd Regiment. They were later married at St. Philipโ€™s Church, Sydney, by the Rev. Samuel Marsden. Rev. Marsdenโ€™s notes give the date of the wedding as 29 July 1798, but the church register shows the date as 23 July. Lucy gave birth to a son John on 19 February 1799, and a second son, William, on 30 May 1801.
In early March 1802, John Rousseau was detached to serve at Norfolk Island, and Lucy and the two boys accompanied him. However, Lucy and the boys left the island on 1 May 1802, probably because of the appalling conditions, and returned to Sydney. Some 7 months later John Rousseau departed the island, on 26 November 1802.
Back in Sydney, Anthony was born on 23 June 1803, followed by the birth of Peter on 13 January 1805. In early 1806 Lucy had another son, Thomas, who died in infancy on 4 May 1806. The 1805-6 Muster shows Lucy as the wife of John Rousseau and the mother of four children.
Lucyโ€™s second relationship also ended in disharmony when she and Rousseau separated. John Rousseau was transferred to India in April 1806 and he took their eldest son John, then aged 7, with him. Referring to the event in a letter written many years later, Mary wrote that Rousseau stole John. From this and other statements Mary made in her letters, it appears the separation must have been quite acrimonious.
Now left alone with a young daughter and three infant sons to care for, Lucy began a de facto relationship with James Knell but she had not heard the last of John Rousseau. In the previously mentioned 1851 letter, Mary wrote that Rousseau returned to Sydney with his son John about 1808 and โ€œโ€ฆcontrived to steal who is Matthew and Anthony with Lawrenceโ€ฆโ€, (ie. His other 3 sons, whose names had been changed). It is not entirely clear from Maryโ€™s letter, but it appears Rousseau may have been successful in taking all his sons back to India, as she wrote, โ€œWhen John returned to Sydney his Mother (ie. Lucy) could not get him to stop in Sydney and did all (in) her power to get his brothers with himโ€.
It appears that in India, Rousseau changed Williamโ€™s and Peterโ€™s names to Matthew and Lawrence. Further evidence that Rousseau took at least John, William and Peter back to India is given when Mary wrote in the same letter, โ€œAs to the cause of their names being changed I can say nothing as that was in Calcuttaโ€. Rousseau may have also changed Anthonyโ€™s name to Joseph, as in 1824 Mary wrote a letter which began โ€œMy Dear Brotherโ€, addressed to Joseph Sharling. (One of the several names by which Thomas Sherland was known).
From the above, and Maryโ€™s letters, an unexplained contradiction emerges. It seems logical that John Rousseau would have insisted on his sons using Rousseau as their surname, but this does not appear to have been the case, as Mary addressed letters to at least two of them using the name Sharling. Following Johnโ€™s death she wrote to his widow addressing it to Mrs. Mary Sharling. It is also odd that Mary referred to her father as Sharling and not Sherland. From their baptism records there is no doubt that John, William, Anthony and Peter Rousseau were half-brothers, but in letters written by Mary to John, and later Johnโ€™s widow, it is apparent that Mary believed John to be a full brother. In 1847 she wrote, โ€œI must say I feel very uneasy at my brother John not writing to me and thinking me not his Sister. I can only say my Mother was his mother and my Father was his fatherโ€ฆโ€. Although not clearly stated it also appears she may have believed the other three boys were also full brothers. One possible explanation for her to have held this false belief is that following a bitter separation from Rousseau, and untimately losing custody of her sons, Lucy may have wanted to repudiate her marriage, and hence told Mary that Thomas Sherland was the boyโ€™s father. This is somewhat supported by the fact that in one of her letter Mary referred to John Rousseau as โ€œMr. Rโ€ rather than her step-father. Lucyโ€™s relationship with James Knell began about 1807, the year before John Rousseau returned to Sydney. James Knell was a transported convict serving a 7 year sentence which expired in 1808, and in early 1811 he was issued with his Certificate of Emancipation. Lucy and James lived in the Richmond area in the 1814 Muster James was described as a landowner. In 1816 he was granted 50 acres (20.2 ha) at North Richmond, and a short time later a cow from the government herd.
Three children were born to Lucy and James, James (junior) on 23 October 1810, Jane on 24 March 1812, and Agnes on 9 July 1815. The children were baptised together on 25 February 1824 at St. Matthewโ€™s Church, Windsor. The baptism register shows their fatherโ€™s names as Neil, and in later life the children also used Neil.
The family continued to live on their farm at North Richmond and were there at the time of the 1820 Muster. However, the fortunes of the family took a dramatic turn in October that year when James confronted a Charles Leary and accused him of trespassing on his land to cut peach trees, and challenged him to a fist fight. The fight took place on 16 October 1820, and although being soundly beaten James refused to give in. As a result of injuries he sustained in the fight James died on 19 October. Charles Leary was tried and found guily of manslaughter and received a 6 months gaol sentence.
Once again Lucy, now aged 47, was left alone with a young family to care for. However, she did not remain alone for long, as she married William Waldron at St. Peterโ€™s, Richmond, on 15 January 1821. Lucy used her maiden name, which she may have done to conceal the fact that she was already married, or as a further denial of her marriage to John Rousseau. Waldron was over 20 years younger than Lucy.
William Waldron, an Irishman serving a life sentence, arrived in Sydney aboard the convict transport Three Bees in 1814. He had been granted a Ticket of Leave in 1819, and as a convict he had to request the Governorโ€™s permission to marry. William was a witness of James Knellโ€™s fatal fight and was a principal witness at the subsequent inquest. At a time when men far outnumbered women in the colony William was obviously quick to press his suit with Lucy, and was probably greatly relieved to receive his proposal, as it meant support for herself and her children.
Lucy and William remained in the Richmond district for only a few years and by the time of the 1828 census were living at William Ogilvieโ€™s private town Merton located near Denman, but which no longer exists. William gave his occupation as constable for the census records. In 1833 he obtained a ticket-of-leave for the district of Darlington, described as being on the north bank of the Hunter River, (north of Singleton.) Later, in 1835 he was granted a ticket-of-leave for the Invermein (the original name of Scone) district. Other than these official records nothing more is known of Williamโ€™s and Lucyโ€™s movements or whereabouts. At some stage Lucy moved to Singleton where she died on 1 September 1845, and was buried there. The last twenty-five years of Lucyโ€™s life are virtually unrecorded, but it is hoped they were more peaceful than the previous twenty-five.
In 1811 Lucyโ€™s daughter Mary Lane Sherland aged only 14, married Benjamin Singleton, the founder of the town of Singleton. Agnes Neal was even younger when she married Benjaminโ€™s brother, Joseph, in 1829, aged only 13. She remarried in 1842 to John Green, and again in 1854 to Andrew Canavan. Jane Neal was 16 when she married John Dunn in 1828. In contrast to his sistersโ€™ early marriages, James Neal waited until he was 32 before marrying Sarah Jones in 1843. James became a successful hotelier and part owner of a rich gold mine at upper Bingara. From surviving letters of Mary Lane Singleton we can learn just a few details about her halfbrother John Rousseau regarding his life in India. He lived in Calcutta and was married to a woman identified only as Mary, and had a family. Anthony also lived in Calcutta and he and Jophn appear to have worked for the East India Company where John may have been a pilot. John died prior to 1851. Nothing more is known about Lucyโ€™s sons that she bore and lost to John Rousseau.
Note: Many spelling variations of the surnames of Thomas Sherland, John Rousseau and James Knell have been found in official records and other documents. This would have been due to poor educational standards, differing writing styles, and written interpretation of greatly varying accents. Variations found:- Sherland โ€“ Sherling, Shirling, Sharland, Thearland (possibly a misspelling of Shearland); Rousseau โ€“ Rossan, Russan, Russean, Rawssan, Ruceau; Knell โ€“ Nell, Neil, Neal.
Acknowledgement. Some details regarding John Rousseau and James Knell were taken from โ€œJames Knell โ€“ A Stubborn Manโ€ by Graham Johnson. Quotations from Mary Lane Singletonโ€™s letters are from โ€œAnd Another Reapethโ€ by Kath Mahaffey. Richard Smith
May 1996.
From: http://www.xroyvision.com.au/singleton/singtext/36.html
Message 98 of 4,080
Latest reply

It would appear that Lucy Lane is most likely the daughter of Wiliam Lane and was born in ALl Cannings Wiltshire England
Message 99 of 4,080
Latest reply

Isn't that incredible flashie... all that information starting with just a name and a date - not even the right name. That's brilliant dective work ๐Ÿ™‚

When I joined Ancestry I thought it was a good idea to pay into the USA site as well in case there were more hints there. I wish I hadn't as so often their 'facts' are wrong and it leads to so many mistakes.

I won't be doing that again.

Just be careful of anything you find that takes you to USA check and double check before accepting hints from them too.

As someone said to me recently, Americans pay big dollars to find out if they have rellies that are famous or reknown at all and some geneologists will 'adapt' a tree to suit the customer, so it's worthwhile to be on the alert.

Today I am chasing up the hints of about 500 people I haven't yet got to.

When you think we have

2 parents
4 grandparents
8 great grandparents
16 gg grandparents
32 ggg grandparents
64 gggg grandparents...

They all mount up pretty quickly and before long you have a stadium full of them :^O

Message 100 of 4,080
Latest reply