Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Good morning all ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyone still working on rellies?

Message 81 of 4,080
Latest reply

col52
Community Member

Thanks for the idea - but the only thing on the shipping list is their names and ages. The ship left from Liverpool but from their names (Alexander and Hugh McLean) we assume they are Scottish. Hugh was killed in an attack by Maoris on the farm where he was employed as a labourer. There was an inquest and I have several newspapers reports of that. Maybe next time I'm over in NZ I'll try to get both the death certificates. I don't think they had much info on them in those days but it's worth a try.

McLean is generally from Ireland
Maclean is from Scotland
Hula, hula, lets all do da hula
Message 82 of 4,080
Latest reply

Amber.....New Zealand Births Deaths and Marriages can be ordered online.

I got a death certificate from there for 1915 last year....it didn't have a huge amount of information on it......maybe because he died in the war......but it did confirm that he was Tasmanian born..............and I think it was about $25.

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/

This site will give you an idea of what to expect when purchasing certificates within Australia.

http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html
Message 83 of 4,080
Latest reply

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this site yet, or even posted a link to it, but I found it yesterday and for anyone searching colonial or convict names it is a mine of information

http://www.easystreetretreat.com.au/australianroyalty/index.php?ctype=gedcom

Also does anyone know a good free UK site - I don't really want to fork out for ancestry.com just yet.
Message 84 of 4,080
Latest reply

chuk_77
Community Member
she ele I use genes reunited but its not free if you want to access records. I paid I think $60 for 6 months and had access to most of the census and BD&M certificates
Message 85 of 4,080
Latest reply

I've been doing hubby's and mine for years and years, many brick walls I'm afraid, one side from Ireland, records burnt, my side from Holland, very hard to get info. However I have struck it lucky a couple of times and got a fair bit of info but would like lots more.

A site that I have visited in the past is this one

http://www.cyndislist.com/

It may or may not help but worth a look I guess.

Good luck with your search everyone, you never know when you will strike it lucky,
Message 86 of 4,080
Latest reply

so nice to see everyone having fun looking for family tree branches.

I did my mum s family years ago (before we had computers) all done at public records office, BDM, on microfisch ... oh the joy!! I joined the Genealogy Society of Victoria.. well worth it. and they had local group meetings.. lots of people to help you when you get stuck.

Mum goes back to some of the earliest settlers of Melbourne, founders of St Francis Church in t he city, and further to Sydney and Michael Dwyer, the Wicklow Chief from Ireland who has that huge memorial at Waverley Cemetary which is over 20ft high.

[i was adopted so I dont follow the family line thru to me)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 87 of 4,080
Latest reply

I am looking up relations on facebook to get in touch with cousins and uncles and aunts that I have not seen for 25+ years.

They are all in Vic and QLD and I am in SA.

So gotta start somewhere LOL
Message 88 of 4,080
Latest reply

Golly, there are some interesting stories here.

Hi ya lovetosew, how I wish I had your dad to do the burrowing around and finding more. I try to do the same, look for new ways of finding out more. ...-)

darkside - Hi Yourself.
Yes, Dad & I were doing this WELL before computers were common place at home, & the internet - CLEARLY NOT. So clearly, no access to databases or online anything. This is the 1980's & very early 1990's I'm talking about here.
Dad's Dad was a hoarder of paperwork ( a hoarder of all sorts of other stuff too), most of it was junk, but amazingly Pop kept a big tin trunk with all sorts of family stuff in it - personal papers, birth certs, photos, military records, school records, marriage info, even maps he marked up with where various family members had lived & when.
He had several books of stuff he has written over very many years, about family members too. That was a trove of info, as you could imagine. Hence the road trips I referred to, to churches & schools & tiny towns to piece things together.
Pop was known in the family as the deposit of all types of records, so as each family member died or there was no one else to keep the stuff, it all got sent to Pop.
Pop must have had a confidence that someone else would continue to keep these family records, & we all benefit from him doing so... The big tin trunk became unuseable, but the info in it, wow!
Message 89 of 4,080
Latest reply

Amber.....New Zealand Births Deaths and Marriages can be ordered online.

I got a death certificate from there for 1915 last year....it didn't have a huge amount of information on it......maybe because he died in the war......but it did confirm that he was Tasmanian born..............and I think it was about $25.

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/

This site will give you an idea of what to expect when purchasing certificates within Australia.

http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

Thanks for the NZ link Flashie. Unfortunately, both 'boys' died prior to 1875 and the info held prior to this magic date is two fifths of bugger all (as my Dad would have said!).

An Aunt who tried to find information many years ago came to the conclusion that the brothers (if they were brothers) were hiding from something and changed their names when they got on the ship to NZ. Although I have been able to find more than she could thanks to online sites, I'm starting to think she might have been right:^O
Message 90 of 4,080
Latest reply