Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Iza.....I have sent you a message.

Many people were illiterate and would not have known their names were spelt wrong.

I have been lucky that the main surnames I am researching for my family are rarely mispelt

Thanks Flashie.I appreciate it.There's No hurry .No obligation either ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 71 of 4,080
Latest reply

I have learnt alot about the settlement of Nimatabell and Cooma from my ex's family tree. Many years ago the whole town was relocated and a dam created where the town once was. His family goes back to the Tindall's in England...James or Daniel Tindall was the one convicted of High Treason.
โ™ฅTrishโ™ฅ
Message 72 of 4,080
Latest reply

A common problem with Mum's side (Dutch) is that many of the sons had the same name as the father and so changed one letter in their surname to solve postal and ID issues.

My Grandfather was Henk van Der XXX
My Uncle changed his to Henk van Den XXX
โ™ฅTrishโ™ฅ
Message 73 of 4,080
Latest reply

Hi Amber,
Maybe the Shipping records could help you to find out where they where born?Sometimes on the Ships logs they have the place of birth listed.

Thanks for the idea - but the only thing on the shipping list is their names and ages. The ship left from Liverpool but from their names (Alexander and Hugh McLean) we assume they are Scottish. Hugh was killed in an attack by Maoris on the farm where he was employed as a labourer. There was an inquest and I have several newspapers reports of that. Maybe next time I'm over in NZ I'll try to get both the death certificates. I don't think they had much info on them in those days but it's worth a try.
Message 74 of 4,080
Latest reply

>Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I was for a while but I eventually gave up.They're all dead:-(
Message 75 of 4,080
Latest reply

The Bowermans who were hanged were 4 brothers Mary Partidges husband and his 3 brothers. It was Mary Partridge Bowerman who got the land grant, and I suspect William Thomas, with whom she had her second family may well have been one of her assigned convicts.
I don't have any information on a Mary Bowerman, but as my family tree only mentions Mary partidge as having two sons by George bowerman i suspevct your mary must have been a daughter by William Thomas.

Hi, sorry read that bit wrong had to reread it again for it to sink in properly.

Have been told that William Thomas was one of the convicts that were assigned to Mary.
Think my sister might have more info on it but not sure.
I have a death Certificate for my Great Gandmother Mary Elizabeth Williams ( Bowerman ) Her father was James Bowerman who I'm guessing he was one of the children from the second relationship.
He then married Mary Ann Ingram they then had 10 children one being my Grandmother Ruby.
The land grant was still in the famliy when my Great Grandmother( Mary Boweram ) died she was 81years. My mum who is 70 still remembers her and remembers going to the Orchid. think it got passed on to one of mum's uncles.

I'm thinking its the same family, will send a mess to you
i'm guessing that is what PM means as i'm not sure, I'm only usally a reader not a poster lol. . thanks again
Message 76 of 4,080
Latest reply

Rubylu - I've just gone a googling and come up with this, which might interest you.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~randallmartin/randall.htm

Interestingly it appears the 'coloured' blood in your family was not Aboriginal but African American and West Indian - through John Randall and John Martin who were not connected, but had somehow managed to get themselves to England, were convicted of crimes there and sentenced to transportation.
Their families later intermarried and one of thir descendants married a Bowerman.
Message 77 of 4,080
Latest reply

[quote mid="604576675"]HI all ๐Ÿ™‚

Rubylu, I think Australian families would be amazed at just how many white people married or had children by aboriginal people. Far far more than is ever spoken of, but one day people will be as proud of that as they are of having convict ancestors. Once that was shameful too.

I know sad though that they would want to hide it, but that was then and this is now.
My mothers Grandmother was always refered to as Black Mary the healer my mother who is 70 has a lot of fond memories about her she remembers that she also used to pyroxide her hair as well to try and hide the fact. there is heaps of things that my mum remembers as little girl but it was not a subject to be talked about openly.I surpose as a kid you remember coments that other people would make in reference to her family including her own father who could be quite cruel, she used to hear bits and pieces but wouln't dare ask as a child you wouldn't be game.

Funny in way that they would try and hide it and here we are now trying to find it.
Now my Mum is older its playing on her mind alot more and she wants answers. think its something that has been on her mind for a long time.
We don't know if we have aboriginal or not or african but we are trying to find out:-)
Message 78 of 4,080
Latest reply

I was for a while but I eventually gave up.They're all dead:-(

Ah but, that means spotweldersfriend, they never grow older or go away :^O

Message 79 of 4,080
Latest reply

Keep looking ruby, every ancestor and every country is valuable and interesting.. I do hope you succeed, wouldn't it be great?

I have discovered I have distant ancestors who were from Persia (modern Iraq) and were Muslim.

I find that fascinating, how did we get from Persia to Australia over something like 20 generations?

Message 80 of 4,080
Latest reply