Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

she elapha, Wow thank you for that will do tomorrow and pass it on to my sister as she has more of a understanding than me.

Bowerman is the family line we are trying to do so that is fantastic.
Interesting about the hanging. the story as we know it was that the 3 brothers were hanged for highway robbery but one brother claimed innocence. A few days later someone else was hung and addmitted to being the third one in the robbery so a land grant was given to his wife at Carlingford and she was also givin two convicts to work the the land. We weren't aware of the father being hung also.

My Great Grandmothers name was Mary Bowerman who married and become Mary Williams.
Also Sonter name has come up as well but that was on my mother's fathers side.

Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 61 of 4,080
Latest reply

The Bowermans who were hanged were 4 brothers Mary Partidges husband and his 3 brothers. It was Mary Partridge Bowerman who got the land grant, and I suspect William Thomas, with whom she had her second family may well have been one of her assigned convicts.
I don't have any information on a Mary Bowerman, but as my family tree only mentions Mary partidge as having two sons by George bowerman i suspevct your mary must have been a daughter by William Thomas.
Message 62 of 4,080
Latest reply

I have tried but without luck as my grandfather came here from Sweden when he was 14 and a stow away on a boat....no record
He married my Grandmother and she had my dad a brother and a sister,but i also found out that he had an illegitamate child in Tasmania which he never mentioned.
He served in WW1 and then at 53 enroled for WW2 and recieved many medals for galantry.
But apart from that i cant find anything else
Message 63 of 4,080
Latest reply

i just got back from tassie and did a little research while i was there

i got to have a few bundys in the bar where my great great grandfather drank, which is across the road from the port in wynyard where he docked his ships many many moons ago ๐Ÿ˜„

oops that should be great grandfather ๐Ÿ˜
Message 64 of 4,080
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor
I have tried but without luck as my grandfather came here from Sweden when he was 14 and a stow away on a boat....no record
He married my Grandmother and she had my dad a brother and a sister,but i also found out that he had an illegitamate child in Tasmania which he never mentioned.
He served in WW1 and then at 53 enroled for WW2 and recieved many medals for galantry.

Try the National Archives for records of servicemen in WW1 and WW2.
I have looked at the actual records of my great uncle from WW1 and the early records of my first husband from the 60s, up till they were computerised.
Message 65 of 4,080
Latest reply

HI all ๐Ÿ™‚

Happyroo, I have no idea what training she's had, mostly self taught I think, I've never asked her, but I know she does take on paying jobs with it and has also travelled to the UK herself to seek information. She now has contacts around the UK who will research for her.

Love the surnames dynogrl ... I have a 2nd cousin called Violet Blood :^O

JV the pub still in the family how great is that? Time you got started girl ๐Ÿ™‚

Hmm bizzylizzy sometimes ignorance is bliss.

chuk the sinking of the Bismark! Wow!

Rubylu, I think Australian families would be amazed at just how many white people married or had children by aboriginal people. Far far more than is ever spoken of, but one day people will be as proud of that as they are of having convict ancestors. Once that was shameful too.

Thanks flashie, I have contacted you ๐Ÿ™‚

Looks like we have something good going here ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 66 of 4,080
Latest reply

I am really enjoying reading about everyone's ancestors..and what you have found

:-x

it can be seriously addictive, can't it

:-x
Message 67 of 4,080
Latest reply

Willl be watching this one - fascinating.
Message 68 of 4,080
Latest reply

Did he take out Australian citizenship? There might be information in those records.
A neighbour of ours had a Norwegian Grandfather who arrived in Australia under similar conditions and the hoops he had to jump through to get citizenship left quite a detailed paper trail.
Message 69 of 4,080
Latest reply

I got stuck trying to find my great great grandfather - I think I'l have to spend some time on it next time I'm in NZ. He and his brother came to NZ in 1859, I've tracked down what ship they came on but can't find out where they were born so I'm stuck....can't go back any further. Both brothers died young - my GG Grandfather only a year after his son (my G Grandfather) was born and his brother a few months earlier. His wife remarried so there is very little family history of him at all. She was from a fairly large family - they had a part in the development of gold mining in the Thames/Tararu area.

Any suggestions??

Hi Amber,
Maybe the Shipping records could help you to find out where they where born?Sometimes on the Ships logs they have the place of birth listed.
Message 70 of 4,080
Latest reply