Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

I would love to do this for my family. Sadly not much of us left. My family is from Hungary .. which site would you recommend to search European countries?
Message 51 of 4,080
Latest reply

Rubylu, I think I may know why it's getting confusing.

Mary Partidge, daughter of Mary Greenwwood and Richard Partidge married George Bowerman in Parramattta in 1814. According to my family tree they had two sons George junior and Solomon.

In 1820 George senior(Mary's husband) along with three of his brothers Solomon, Isaac and James, was hanged - I believe for highway robbery. (there is a family tradition that some years later George was given a posthumus pardon and his widow was given a grant of land as compensation)

After George's death Mary lived with a man called William Thomas, and had another seven children to him, but as I understand she never married him so they all went under the name of Bowerman.

One of the daughters from this second relationship (Sarah: 1836-1906) married William Sonter who was my hubands great, great grandfather.

I'm afraid I don't have much information about any of the others except that at some point the descendents of both relationships intermarried, thereby causing much confusion in the family tree.

If you like to PM me I can send you a copy of what I have..
Message 52 of 4,080
Latest reply

I would love to do this for my family. Sadly not much of us left. My family is from Hungary .. which site would you recommend to search European countries?

I would try the LDS (mormons). They have vast records from all over the world.

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 53 of 4,080
Latest reply

hmmm I must be doing it wrong as it has no records even for me ! and Im not ancient ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 54 of 4,080
Latest reply

Loving Hearts .....the Mormon site is unlikely to have anyone who is still living on there.
Message 55 of 4,080
Latest reply

oh ... ok

Well I searched my grand parents and there is nothing that I can find for even my family name which is a very common name in Hungary.

Thanks for your advise I will look into it maybe tomorrow. I think I will head off to bed now.

thanks
Message 56 of 4,080
Latest reply

umm . I think I was on the wrong site !! I need sleep ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 57 of 4,080
Latest reply

Loving Hearts .....the Mormon site is unlikely to have anyone who is still living on there.

I think they would have enough info to find the living

Message 58 of 4,080
Latest reply

I have some friends doing temple searches. I will ask them if the lds can find the living also.

Message 59 of 4,080
Latest reply

i just got back from tassie and did a little research while i was there

i got to have a few bundys in the bar where my great great grandfather drank, which is across the road from the port in wynyard where he docked his ships many many moons ago ๐Ÿ˜„
Message 60 of 4,080
Latest reply