Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

A really interesting thread will be following it with interest.

My side of the family came out in 1842 and there were two brothers...they tossed a coin as to who would stay and which one would go to NZ .......the brother that went to NZ was one of the first*white* settlers and went on to make mega bucks in cars etc.....the Aussie one went on to buy a pub and make a good living the pub being in the family to this day.

My late hubbies parents went through the Holocaust and my mother in law was the only surviving member , she is still alive but only just:(

Lots of history in the family but to date no real interest and havent had the time to think about doing a family tree
Message 41 of 4,080
Latest reply

bizzylizzy_daisy
Community Member
nope haven't done it.....
not going to, too much taboo stuff, mum has asked for us not to go fishing.....
My SIL(ex) so wants to find out what its is....meh....
Message 42 of 4,080
Latest reply

col52
Community Member
I wish I had the time and energy to devote to searching.

My father has done a fair bit but got stuck at one name but a certain person helped us out :-x

We are from the Middlesbrough area (both sides) but my dad's side came to Middlesbrough from the Norfolk area in the 1800's - we suspect before then, the family were from Devon (because of the trades involved) though not confirmed.
My mothers family were around North Yorkshire, unsure how far back at the moment.
Hula, hula, lets all do da hula
Message 43 of 4,080
Latest reply

My father's family were from Hastings or Battle in the UK.
Message 44 of 4,080
Latest reply

chuk_77
Community Member
I was given my grandad's service certificate. It lists all the ships he was on one of them was the Victorious 4th march - 22 august1941. Researched it and low and behold sinking of the bismark. No wonder he never talked about his time on the ships
Message 45 of 4,080
Latest reply

I got stuck trying to find my great great grandfather - I think I'l have to spend some time on it next time I'm in NZ. He and his brother came to NZ in 1859, I've tracked down what ship they came on but can't find out where they were born so I'm stuck....can't go back any further. Both brothers died young - my GG Grandfather only a year after his son (my G Grandfather) was born and his brother a few months earlier. His wife remarried so there is very little family history of him at all. She was from a fairly large family - they had a part in the development of gold mining in the Thames/Tararu area.

Any suggestions??
Message 46 of 4,080
Latest reply

OH has first fleeters on his mothers side - Mary Greenwood and richard Partridge. On his father's side his ancestor, thomas Lisson, was convicted at the Old Bailey (London) of stealing 2 dozen quart bottles from behind a pub (doesn't say if they were full or empty) and sentenced to 14 years transportation.
He came out on the Royal Admiral in 1792.

Some years later he was given a grant of land on the Hawkesbury (near Wilberforce) and married a convict girl named Anne Bradwell - almost certinly from the Female Factory at Parramatta. They were married by Samuel Marsden (the flogging parson)

Was just having a read couldn't beleive my eyes when I read Mary Greenwood and richard Partridge. I don't know much as my sister is the one who's doing the research she's trying, have got some info from my mothers cousin.
But Mary and richard are from my mothers side. Our family tree is from one of the daughters of Mary and Richard. but its all starting to get confusing LOL.
The sad bit about it was there was a family Bible which was meant to go to my mother as she was the oldest granchild which would of made it so much easier. One of mum's Aunty's took it when my greatgrand mother died as there was coloured blood in the family and all she was concerned about was keeping the family secret hidden. Mum said you weren't game to ask any questions was well known in the family not to bring it up was the big family secret, thank god times have changed.
Wish they would of known how hard they made the job for us to trace everything back. Does my head in. lol
Message 47 of 4,080
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hubby's Mum's side of the family have published about 5 volumes I think, we have them somewhere. The Tye family Tree, very interesting reading.
Message 48 of 4,080
Latest reply

I would love to do it but I know nothing about my family, first names or last names I have no idea.
Message 49 of 4,080
Latest reply

I would love to do it but I know nothing about my family, first names or last names I have no idea.

There would have to be some sort of records in the b,d&m s. Start with you, then your / mum & dad, and work back. Tedious, however you will get some info from somewhere.

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 50 of 4,080
Latest reply