Anyone else into seeking their ancestors?

I have become adicted to Ancestry.com and am lucky enough that one side of my family can be researched way back into the dim times.

The other side has hit a brick wall and I have to wait until someone else in the world may have more information.

How is everyone else going?

Message 1 of 4,080
Latest reply
4,079 REPLIES 4,079

Gee its interesting stuff.
Family in Holland have traced us back to very early 1700's atm & a name change?,other family has been traced back to Ireland & the McClean Clan with a name change as well.

Seems that name changes happened quite a lot,could do with writting that was hard to read,moving or dark secrets,makes it interesting.

Also i found i was able to understand alittle better as to why my Nana disliked 1 part of the family,it had to do with her father running off & starting another family & her mother dying young,she was left to care for the children.

Its abit like collecting,once you have started it sortta takes over,thankfully other family members have already done the hard work.

I try when time permits to have a look through the web to see what i can find,a lot of villages in England etc have places that for a sml fee they will go through the records to find that missing link,be it death/birth etc info,if you can provide abit of info too.

Good luck to all,kat

It isn't so much that the names change but that the spelling does and that can cause problems. The trouble is that often the clerks who were transcribing at the time spelled a name phonetically instead of how it is spelled today.

I have learned so much from a friend of mine who is a professional geneologist and that is one of her explanations that I have since found to be only too true. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 31 of 4,080
Latest reply

Iza.....I have sent you a message.

Many people were illiterate and would not have known their names were spelt wrong.

I have been lucky that the main surnames I am researching for my family are rarely mispelt
Message 32 of 4,080
Latest reply

chuk_77
Community Member
I'm with genes reunited. Doing well with dads side not so well with mums side. Her nans age was written wrong on one of her marriage certificates so is proving difficult. also they had very common names.
Also hard with everything being overseas.
The man of the house did his with his dad only the dads side tho took about a month coz everyone lived and died in the same place. Even have cemetary records
Message 33 of 4,080
Latest reply

Golly, there are some interesting stories here.

Yes Lind names in Denmark, Norway and Sweden seem to end with 'sson' or 'sen' for a boy, by way of 'son of Jepp' or and datter is the same for daughter (or dotter) so if you find a female with a 'son' at the end of her name check it twice... it is probably wrong.

You are so right, so much breaking of family tradition will make it very hard in the future to know who or what you were.

Hi ya lovetosew, how I wish I had your dad to do the burrowing around and finding more. I try to do the same, look for new ways of finding out more.

Hohoho izzy well that's you settled for the winter :^O

This is going to sound like a card game :^O anyone got an Edward Gibson of Durham UK in 1811?

If you're stuck even our small group might have something ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 34 of 4,080
Latest reply

Do you mean that you are looking for someone called Edward Gibson born 1811 Durham?

If you do....message me....there is a person by that name showing on a tree on ancestry.
Message 35 of 4,080
Latest reply

dorroughby
Community Member

Hi dorroughboy,

Just out of curiosity, did your Cornish ancestors travel to Australia for the goldrush & where did they settle? Both my Great-grandfathers & Grandfathers on my Motherโ€™s side were Cornish miners and settled in Gympie, all became Mine Managers and their photographs can be viewed in the Gympie Historical Museum, names: Treloar & Daddow.

My father's ancestors came out to work in the coal mines, and settled around Wallsend near Newcastle. Some also came from Wales to the same place, and married into the Cornish side.
Quote of the day: "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." Noam Chomsky
Message 36 of 4,080
Latest reply

My paternal ancestors were all Cornish miners, they settled in Bendigo, Ballarat and some other gold mining towns.

I hate to think how much money I've spent on BDM certificates over the years, easily $3000.

Dark, what sort of training did your friend have to do to become a professional genealogist?
Message 37 of 4,080
Latest reply

dynogrl
Community Member
My MIL has traced her history (so my kids history also) back to 2 first fleeters.....they came out on seperate ships, met and settled in Castlereagh. I have been to the big family reunions...it's just fascinating.

I always have a bit of a cackle at their surnames....Anthony Rope & Elizabeth Pulley
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
Message 38 of 4,080
Latest reply

OH has first fleeters on his mothers side - Mary Greenwood and richard Partridge. On his father's side his ancestor, thomas Lisson, was convicted at the Old Bailey (London) of stealing 2 dozen quart bottles from behind a pub (doesn't say if they were full or empty) and sentenced to 14 years transportation.
He came out on the Royal Admiral in 1792.

Some years later he was given a grant of land on the Hawkesbury (near Wilberforce) and married a convict girl named Anne Bradwell - almost certinly from the Female Factory at Parramatta. They were married by Samuel Marsden (the flogging parson)
Message 39 of 4,080
Latest reply

My mum's family have published a book, well with 3 updates so far...On Gunnery Creek, history of the Gorham Family.
My father's family have done that side, have been trying to do my Hubby's side for years.
Message 40 of 4,080
Latest reply