Deterring possums,,,,, what do you do?

One night they chomped through about 15 baskets of impatiens.

Then onto the yummy roses, geraniums.

Now I've decided to set up an area of succulents in pots which I love and have read so many remedies for

spraying tham (the plants )  on the internet and don't know where to start.

I have bought two little flashing led lights in vivid green which I'm hoping will look like

evil eyes, lol. 

Anybody had success with deterring them?   I won't trap them and relocate as I know they die in a new area and I'm am actually fond of the \little critters. .

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

We have a big problem with them eating the roses............have tried everything known to man to get rid of them, nothing works, no good trapping them, as they come back or another family of them move in.......

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

Chop up about six garlic cloves and a bown onion, boil it with one Litre of water for about 5 to ten minutes. Let it cool, strain and mix a tablespoon of ground chillie in the liquid. Fill a spray bottle and spray the plants.

I had a row of standard roses in front of my verandha. The possums used to feast on all the half open rosebuds. It was a horrenduous thought to me to spray my lovely smelling roses with garlic, but at least I could enjoy the beauty of my flowers.

After I used this spray, the possums soon left my plants alone.

Erica

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

I have tried all the deterrents listed..........nothing works.......the possums here in The Dandenongs must be smarter, than the rest...

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

I read somewhere that they do not like mint.  So, I bought 3 pots of mint, planted them in big pots and placed them next to my roses and nothing ate them.  However, my daughter's mint gets eaten together with everything else on her veranda.  😞  Maybe it depends on how desperate the possums are; in my place with large garden there are other things they can eat, in my daughter's place in the inner city suburb with heaps of flats, the possums are starving.

maybe try to feed them some apples, which they love and they may leave your roses alone?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

The administering of 2.2 grams of Pb 12 mm directly below the auditory canal at a supersonic velocity per o'possum is a 100% deterrent.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Their predators are The Powerful Owl. They are found all along the East coast

You need a large plastic owl to scare them off.

They used to be available at National Geographic Stores.

I think some gardening centres have them also

If you get one you should change it's position daily

Possums should go elsewhere to eat.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=powerful+owl&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=v_45VcmBDJe58gXc1oG4DA&...

Or just play this at full volume at night     hahahahahaha

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

Stawka...........the plastic owl doesnt work either, have tried that.

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

Good job I read that purple as I was going to order one off ebay.

Yeah I reckon the real thing would be good like stawka says, but with the hooting.  . 

Don't know about the 1.2mm poddy if it's what I think it is,  I'm sure you jest......  right??????

I'll give erica's recipe a go, meanwhile I'm putting a plastic sheet over the area each night, it's not that big..

Also I've got these little LED flashing lights that look just like eyes, they might work.

If all else fails then it's the lion, lol.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply