Election promises

ladydeburg
Community Member

What is the future of elections if  truth in advertising is ignored.,  any election promise that has to be broken is a death knell for any government these days after the carbon lie.

Should political parties make any promises at all in election mode? and if not, how will we judge what their policies are? if a policy is found to be unworkable or unaffordable in changing circumstances, should the party be then subject to relentless attack  until government is unworkable.

The new political landscape we see now is very different to the landscape we saw under Hawke and Howard.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Election promises

ladydeburg
Community Member

The Insiders agree that the campaign Labor is running is a complete scare campaign. We are not surprised that they would do this, they are desperate to get NSW back.

I believe they think the voters have  suffered memory loss. 

Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

Yes I agree and that was the premise of my initial post.  

How can the voters believe anything political parties utter in  campaigns anymore. The Electorate has been brutalised by the politics of division and incompetance from 2007 onwards.

They eagerly elected a conservative government to fix all the disasters Labor left behaind.

They have done a good job on many fronts but they tried to fix a budget that needed structural reform and went too far and also didn't consult.

It was a very brave government who thought they could fix the debt and deficit in its first term.

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

The pension age for men and women born from 1 July 1952 will be gradually increased from 65 to 67 years as set out in the table below.

Period within which a person was born Pension age Date pension age changes

From 1 July 1952 to 31 December 195365 years and 6 months1 July 2017
From 1 January 1954 to 30 June 195566 years1 July 2019
From 1 July 1955 to 31 December 195666 years and 6 months1 July 2021
From 1 January 1957 onwards67 years1 July 2023

https://www.dss.gov.au/our-responsibilities/seniors/benefits-payments/age-pension

interestingly, Germany just dropped their retirement age to 63, which makes more sense; as oldies retire there is more jobs for young people.  Better to pay pensions than unemployment benefits to young people.  It is so soul destroying for young people not having job and not being able to plan for future. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

Don't worry, Joe Hockey has it all worked out. Not only will people have to work longer, but the amount of pension $s will be reduced.

At the moment the Age Pension is 28% of the average weekly earnings. By 2055 it will have been reduced to only 16% of the average weekly earnings, and by the way the tax is taken from Superannuation, the average person will have to work until they ar 90 years old.

I'll eat my hat if Joe Hockey will be happy with a reduced pension for politicians. I'm sure he will demand what he thinks are his ENTITLEMENTS.

One compensation I have, I will no be around in another 40 years, but I worry about my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Erica

Message 34 of 34
Latest reply