Right or wrong to yell at someone's screaming kid at a restaurant?

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/owner-of-marcys-diner-in-portland-praised-for-yelling-at-screa...

THE owner of an American diner who yelled at a screaming child is being praised on social media for taking a stance against parents who ignore their children when dining out.

“Allowing your child to carry on and disrupt a restaurant without any consideration of others, is classless!!!!! I also doubt their child is traumatised. Kid is probably in shock from hearing another adult act like an adult in charge.”

“The owner is an absolute lunatic and screamed in the face of my almost two-year-old child because she was crying ... You have a problem with a child crying then you are not suitable to run a business,” she wrote.

“If it bothers you so much you should have spoken to me and not traumatised my child by screaming in her face. May karma bite you in the a**.”

Choose a side. Go

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Right or wrong to yell at someone's screaming kid at a restaurant?

j*oono
Community Member

Social media gone mad. Who really cares about some silly squabble between adults.  I'm sure the child was fine once someone fed the poor little darling her pancakes.  

Joono
Message 11 of 43
Latest reply

I  can't stand screaming kids in the supermarket.

If it goes on for too long,  I usually tell the mother, quite loudly

"MAKE IT STOP!"

I have then had other shoppers either loudly agree or applaud.

Most mothers are ashamed and leave quite quickly,  but one of these days

one of 'em is gunna smack me in the mouth.

Message 12 of 43
Latest reply

I have told a mother of a running rampant kid whom I stopped my trolley quickly for so that I didn't run the little gem over two times, that I wouldn't see him the next time. I have also offered a mother the use of my shoe and had the manager come up to me and thank me because they can't say anything.

I am a little 'old' lady now so I can get away with such things lol

My kids were raised to conduct themselves properly in public , it's not a hard thing to do.

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 13 of 43
Latest reply

No one should yell at a 2 yo...... no one.
The owner should have addressed the issue with the parent.
Message 14 of 43
Latest reply

It depends on the situation. One time I jumped out of my car and screamed at the top of my lungs at some little B-word abusing his dog. The little B-word was lucky I didn't throttle him.

The thing about that restaurant owner is that her issue was the child was crying because the parents weren't feeding her the pancakes they'd ordered for her. (I think she needed to have them cut because they were too big) .It's them that she should have told off--not the kid. Personally, I think it's cruel to yell at a child who's crying because they're upset. If it's not a situation where they're just throwing a tantrum, then figure out what the problem is and try to fix it.
Message 15 of 43
Latest reply

I agree with you az, I always refer to the parent, not that it is a daily thing lol

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 16 of 43
Latest reply

Ack! I wish I hadn't even clicked on this thread because now I'm thinking about how I was not only yelled at when I was a kid for crying, but sometimes even hit.

Misbehavior is one thing. But how is a kid who is already so hurt over something that they're crying helped by being yelled at? All it does is deepen the hurt. That restaurant owner may feel like a champion now but all she essentially did was be a bully to a kid who already has to bear the cross of having two selfish, idiot parents.

I think she was wrong if her version of why the kid was crying is the truth. I wouldn't eat in her stinking restaurant.
Message 17 of 43
Latest reply

I live at the start of a cul-de-sac, so I have a rather large peninsular extending out past my frontage.  I have a number of urte-cab sized boulders to isolate the area, and for a time it was an attractive nuisance for pre-teens on the BMX bikes to jump those boulders.  Talking to the little s***s' parents was like talking to a fence, so I started confiscating their bikes, which required their parents to come down and retrieve them.  After a couple of times, the kids decided to go elsewhere, and now that the shrubs are grown, the problem has disappeared.

Message 18 of 43
Latest reply

When I enter a shop or a restaurant or any other place where there are screaming kids, I just leave and take my business elsewhere.

If the shop owner doesn't care enough to complain to the parents then I don't care enough to want to give that establishment my business and the shop loses money.

I see screaming kids as little more than vermin and since I cannot react as I would like to (those darned laws are so restrictive 😉 ) I have no choice but to remove myself from the source of my distress.

The screaming is noise pollution and I don't care what the reason for the screaming is (that's the concern of the parents, the shop-owner or the law), and I make the only protest that I can, by walking out.

Message 19 of 43
Latest reply

A 2 year old does not suddenly learn how to scream to get what she wants in one visit to a restaurant.
The owner shouldn't be yelling at ANYONE in her shop (although her version of event says she was addressing the father I think), but the parents should also not be accepting of their child screaming to get attention.
jmho
Message 20 of 43
Latest reply