School gates locked during class time

esayaf
Community Member
Wilcannia school locks the only gate during the school day. A spokesperson said that it's not only Wilcannia it's everywhere.
None of the schools I've worked at ever lock the gates even after school hours. So I'd like to know where everywhere is.
Apparently it's for the safety of the students
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: School gates locked during class time

Agreed its not a good look, but schools are under enormous pressure with " duty of care" issues. With the break down of families the school is required to ensure only parents who have legal custody, have access to children. This can be difficult in indiginous communities where a child can go off with any family or tribal clan member. If the child then gets into some sort of trouble, the school could be in very deep doo doo. I dont know if Wilcannia has a strong indiginous community, but this may be the answer.

Many low socio ecenomic, non indiginous based schools also face similar problems. It is safest to chanel parents and visiters past the front desk, before giving them access to hundreds of kids. With society falling apart at the seams it sounds like a good idea to me.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
The front office is behind the gates. Apparently one has to make a phone call to gain access.
As a parent of one child said not everyone has a mobile phone or if they do they may not have credit
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

i think this SCHOOL has a problem with the difference between a SCHOOL and a PRISON

i'm so pleased i grew up in a time when being locked up at school was never an option. no mater how bad a student might behave they never got 'locked up'

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
I've worked for two schools and staff are just aware of what is going on and if they see a stranger report it.
I was actually reported to the deputy principal by a teacher as a stranger the day I started working at the second school
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I've heard in the past ......

irate parent confronting teacher in a classroom

child "abducted" by a non-custodial parent

ex students "visiting" to get even with teacher/pupil

gang of teenagers entering school grounds to "have it out" with the school gang

teacher's ex with an AVO, gaining access for confrontational purposes

So yes, I fully agree with locked gates and entry only via the Main Office with a buzzer system at the door .

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Locked school gates are the norm in Melbourne. 

As said, non-custodial parents can abduct their child/children

There's also the problem of children being sexually molested in the toilet blocks,

during class hours

Both are horribly more common than we'd like to think.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

No locked gates in my town    ....   not sure that they even have gates .....  not everyone owns a mobile ph, I dont

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

The schools here don't appear to have locked gates, one high school I know has boom gates with card access but an open pedestrian gate. It's really not a huge deal is it?

Better to be safe than sorry.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

No huge deal for me, I dont have kids at school, so no need to go there

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply