Unregistered car need help

01tmau
Community Member

Hi I bought my daughter a car 3 months ago paid the stamp duty remembered the 4th june it expired.  Had so much on my mind and never got a renewal bill and just remembered today.  Dam my daughter drove right into the city.  Obviously these cameras picked it up being one day late.  My daughter just paid it then.  Do you have to go to court anymore?  Poor kid she has been hours studying with exams coming now shes stressed she has to go to court.  And how much does it cost?  Do you only lose your licence for a few days.  She is on her p's.  The car is under my name so I suppose I will get the fine.  5 yrs ago I never got my renewal and had to go to court I was unreg for 2 months I don't know how I didn't think of it being so long since the last time I paid.  Would you get in trouble a lot more if its your second time.  DAM 1 day im kicking myself

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

This thread has been a good reminder for all of us to keep an eye on our rego and insurance. For me, it has also reminded me that I need to make sure my kids are aware of their responsibilities (only one driving on L's so far).

In this case, a mistake was made, so a great wake up call, as the outcome could have been a lot worse, had they been involved in a car accident, so even if fined, it is a relatively cheap lesson to have been reminded about or taught.

It's also a reminder for us as passengers in a car, as even though it is not our legal responsibility to ensure the safety and legality of the car, it may be one of us who is injured in an accident. Should the driver be uninsured, this would also impact on the passengers, in some circumstances, for the rest of their lives.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 61 of 81
Latest reply

There should be more emphasis on driver awareness of vehicle roadworthiness as part of getting a licence - particularly in SA where there are no regular roadworthiness checks (unless you get picked up by SAPOL and get defected).

Apparently SA has one of the oldest vehicle age profiles in the country (behind Tassie, where they all drive Wolseleys and Austin 7's ]:))

Teaching someone to recognise poor tread depth, sloppy steering, wonky brake lights, shonky brakes etc. requires more than a few paragraphs in a driver's handbook.

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 62 of 81
Latest reply

This thread has been a good reminder for all of us to keep an eye on our rego and insurance. For me, it has also reminded me that I need to make sure my kids are aware of their responsibilities (only one driving on L's so far).

In this case, a mistake was made, so a great wake up call, as the outcome could have been a lot worse, had they been involved in a car accident, so even if fined, it is a relatively cheap lesson to have been reminded about or taught.

It's also a reminder for us as passengers in a car, as even though it is not our legal responsibility to ensure the safety and legality of the car, it may be one of us who is injured in an accident. Should the driver be uninsured, this would also impact on the passengers, in some circumstances, for the rest of their lives.

Most of us do that anyway without reminders or prompting from posts on a forum. I have never missed a rego payment in over 30 years.

Message 63 of 81
Latest reply

Not sure about where you are but when we did have stickers they didnt give them to you until you paid so I have no idea how you would get one without paying.

and yes some people swapped plates and stickers from car to car and probably still do.

NSW - we have just had the stickers discontinued from Jan 2013.  

Prior to that date the car rego bill sent in the mail had the sticker on it. So you pay your bill (online or wherever) and then you put the sticker on the car.

It was noted on the form you must not put your sticker on your car until you have paid your rego and recorded the receipt number on the form... form should be kept in the car from then on till expiry date.

Message 64 of 81
Latest reply

Most of us do that anyway without reminders or prompting from posts on a forum. I have never missed a rego payment in over 30 years.

Neither have I, but I don't recall ever checking the rego of a car in which I was a passenger, or considering the ramifications of being a passenger in an uninsured/unregistered car.

Nor had I thought to teach my kids to be aware when borrowing friends' cars or even getting a lift in one.

Just because I make sure that all of our cars are registered/insured etc, doesn't mean every vehicle in which we travel will be. Especially as most of my kid's mates are P Platers and responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of their own cars.

Message 65 of 81
Latest reply

am* 3 Would a person borrowing a car think to do a rego check first though?

crikey:

1. Irrelevant.

Should they even be driving if they are not capable of ensuring they are driving a roadworthy or legal car?

2. ... but I don't recall ever checking the rego of a car in which I was a passenger, or considering the ramifications of being a passenger in an uninsured/unregistered car.

Nor had I thought to teach my kids to be aware when borrowing friends' cars or even getting a lift in one.

Message 66 of 81
Latest reply

as I said, a good reminder.

So far my kid has never had to borrow a car as he has his own which is both registered and insured. Additionally, being only an L Plater, he cannot drive a car on his own and is under the instruction, guidance and care of a Licensed driver when in control of a vehicle.

Mine is still a learner, he's not an independent driver yet.

I haven't however thought to check for myself, far less teach any of my kids to do so, the legality of a vehicle in which we/they may be a passenger.

Message 67 of 81
Latest reply

As you said irrelevant.

Message 68 of 81
Latest reply

glad you finally got it 😉

LOLOL

Message 69 of 81
Latest reply

Not hard to label your posts (esp the looooooooong ones) irrelevant no matter what thread they are in;-)

Message 70 of 81
Latest reply