does anyone know about sewing machines?

particularly pfaff like this http://www.sewingmachinewarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=358&pid=22

Is it overkill for an L plater?

How large are the alphabet letters?

Thanks, for any info.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

IMO.....ask your local Bernina service agent if they have any good quality 'older' machines........solid, heavy, stitch well, parts are swiss made from precision cut steel etc not plastic from Asian factories. Only cost you a couple of hundred.

Each to their own but this is what I would spend my $150-$200 on for a first sewing machine.

You can pick up a new 'plastic' sewing machine for a bargain price ANYWHERE.........but if it's affordable QUALITY that you want?.....Bernina or Elna from over 40 years ago-so long as has history of being serviced &/or low use imo.

Like a car....the more 'whizz bang' whistles n bells like computer electronic windows....the more chance it will bleep up, then cost big $'s to fix or replace. K.I.S.S. principle is best imo.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

If you are wanting a sewing machine that is my opinion , as above.

If you want an embroidery/sewing machine then I cannot advise.

I would say that a great affordable quality sewing machine would be my first choice. You can spend up to $20,000 on a great embroidery machine btw.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

That looks like a great machine, I have a pfaff but it is an entry level one, just basic stitching.

You can see this one you have linked here, the owner's manual, for all it can do. Not sure about the size of the lettering though you might find that in there.

http://new.pfaff.com/SiteMedia/PFAFF/Products/Machines/Support-manuals/ambition_manual_EN.pdf

Personally, for an L Plater, I would look at Janome for a similar machine. I think they are easier to understand, myself. The most important thing is back up service and maybe free lessons if you think you might need them. I would visit a store and see what they have that does what you want it to do and try some out.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

http://www.sewersdelight.com.au/janome-mc5200-sewing-machine/

This is comparable but has 3 fonts, not 4.

I am looking for an embroidery machine atm, to do just embroidery as I have a Janome 7700 for sewing and quilting, I am planning to test drive this one first though, before I look at dedicated embroidery machines.

http://www.sewersdelight.com.au/brother-nv950-embroidery-machine/

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

I feel so feeble ... I was tempted the other day by a $13.50 sewing machine and I already have one that cost $2.50.

If I wanted to buy a more expensive one, though, (and this is just me), I'd go for one of the old Singers on a wooden stand. They are just PRETTY.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Brother make very affordable and good quality sew'g machines too.....I have seen some tempting offers on great machines over the last few years. For $400 you can get a lovely Brother sewing Machine when they are having their 'special' PROMOS. I personally prefer Brother machines to the Janomes.....quieter when running and do not 'hop' and 'bounce' when being used.

One of my overlockers is a Janome though! I use it as a back-up as I prefer my BabyLock o/locker (serger machine).....which is imo a DreamMachine o/locker!

One of my sewing machines is a cheapie 'entry' Bernette....that I leave permanently set-up to do button holes and is an emerg back-up if anything goes wrong with any of my other sewing machines/others in for a service. Bernette is 'clunky' imo but does the job.

I have other s machines too that are used for diff tasks and projects. I love an old Elna machine:).....my favourite sewing machine is a 50+ year old Bernina 'Record'. I also love my ancient Singer Treadle machine.....for quilting projects and free machining.

As az wisely suggests.....visit some sewing machine centres and start trying a few.......as often and as many times as you can, until you are pretty sure about the brand, uses you require it for etc. Don't overspend. Most importantly DO have your machine serviced AS RECOMMENDED and ...have FUN!!Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

I have an Elna Lotus, it is now 45 yo.

I have a Pfaff that is now 25 yo

I have a Janome 720 (old old, simple basic, maybe 30 yo.

I have a Janome 8000 that has passed away but still lives here. (I am attached)

I have a Janome 7700QCP that is 1 yo

I have a Janome 8002DX overlocker.

I have a Bernina Overlocker, maybe 20 yo.

I also have a few other little things, a bias and piping  machine , a rotary cutting machine, a Brother scan n cut......................Woman Embarassed

I might need an intervention....................

Never settle for less than what you WANT............... buy the best you can afford, to do the job you want it to do.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

LOL az! Smiley LOL....I was too embarrassed to mention the 'deadens' that I cannot part with! I have others..... it is an addiction OP, be warned LOL!......but a great addiction imo.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply