Is this a scam?

I found a listing for a Maxda CX-5 at the following address: REMOVED

It is listed at $5000 and only travelled around 78000kms.  I sent a message to email REMOVED and got a response from a Samantha Kelly claiming to be in the Australian Air Force selling the car she was awarded in a divorce settlement.  She said she is being deployed and selling car to give money to her mother who is going to be looking after her kids.

She says she has a deal with ebay where they'll ship the car to me for 5 day trial and she won't get the money until I'm satisfied with the car at the end of the 5 days at which point ebay will release to her the money I have paid.

Is this a scam?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 122
Latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

Re: Is this a scam?

told her I would come around with the cash never heard from her again.
Message 31 of 122
Latest reply

And now he knows your name and probably email address.

If you want to buy a car, buy it from a real person.

If you want to play games with scammers, realise that your personal information is the main aim of the scam.

Message 32 of 122
Latest reply

Well let me just jump right into it. I just got divorced and the car was awarded to me in our divorce. I have a low price ($ 7500) because I want to sell it in the next 10 days.
I have been deployed and I would prefer my mother who is taking care of my children , have the cash instead.
The car was mine , runs great and my ex-husband was taking care of the maintenance.
Comes with registration and RWC in perfect working condition, with nothing mechanically wrong - like new! used just to cruise.
It's a 2015 Hyundai i30 SR , equipped with a big sunroof , bluetooth and many other features like :

- Folding Mirrors
- Cruise control
- Heated Seats
- Cooling Seats & other features.

The car is very safe , has 7 airbags and a 5 star ANCAP safety rating.
The engine is very reliable , fuel consumption it's pretty low because of the 2.0L petrol engine with only 74,434 km on the clock .
It's got a 6 speed automatic gearbox.
If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title notarized. The car is located in Redlynch, Qld 4870 and in case we have a deal will be shipped under my name with all expenses!

Here you have some photos of the car.
Message 33 of 122
Latest reply

sap2809
Community Member
Yes, it is still available. We'll let me just jump right into it. I just got divorced and the Toyota was awarded to me in our divorce. I have a low price ($7,200) because I want to sell it before Nov 20 ideally .I have a deployment coming up and would prefer to have my mother who is taking care of my children, have the cash instead. Now, a few words about this 2012 Toyota Hilux SR5 (4x4). Comes with registration and RWC in perfect working condition, with nothing mechanically wrong - like new! Kms: 84,350 Transmission type: Automatic. Engine: 3.0L 4Cyl Diesel. No accident history, clear title, no dents or dings and no scratches. If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Royal Australian Air Force. Olimpia Calder!
Message 34 of 122
Latest reply

rackil-66
Community Member

JUST GOT THE SAME  THIS IS A SCAM AND NEEDS TO BE STOPPED BY EBAY OR SOMEONE SO I SENT TO 7NEWS

Hello again, as I've told you in my first e-mail, I'm in the Air Force with my medical team and right now I am on a military base. We are training, getting ready for leaving the country.

Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay I chose to hire them to take care of the whole selling process as I cannot leave the military base. The delivery process will be managed by me.
I think I can have it there at your home address within 1-2 working days.You will have 5 days to test and inspect the Transit,prior to making any purchase. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.
Only when you give the confirmation to eBay that you are satisfied by the Transit and wanna keep it, they will release the funds to me, otherwise, they will refund you the full amount of money without any question, and you can ship the Transit back on my expense.I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address and phone number), so I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Warmest regards,

Royal Australian Air Force Kara Cornish

Message 35 of 122
Latest reply

How to you suggest eBay stop it?

Given that it has nothing to do with eBay. The scammer/s is/are just using the name.

I doubt a news organisation is going to devote the resources to investigate deeply, given the perpetrators are probably overseas.

The correct place to report is to Scamwatch.

Message 36 of 122
Latest reply

It is not a scam that is exclusive to ebay so how do you expect them to stop it?

It has been reported widely on ACA some time ago....I doubt that the News is going to be interested.....it is more the province of an investigative show rather than straight news.

The only way to stop it is for people not to fall for it and send money.  Learn how ebay works and understand that they never act as the intermediary in any deals.

Message 37 of 122
Latest reply

YUP!! This is definately a scam, and an old one from info on the web. I found a web page from SBS TV going back to 2014 warning about this same scam.

Stupid me got as far as transferring funds & argued with my bank because they blocked the transfer. Thank god they did!!

I got the exact same email with same wording only the car was a 2018 Suzuki swift with 32000klm at $6590, for a RAAF woman Sienna Reid.  Started out on FB as a mate selling for a friend. email in 3rd photo. I didnt even twig when I noticed the first ad listed by Cal someone in Argentina, listing a car for sale in Melbourne with NSW plates.

I have been involved in sales like this that were legitimate so it didnt ring any alarms until my Bank blocked the transfer.

Then I realised eBay dont provide these services! This scam is setup REALLY well. I'm in IT Security too!! I did a few checks & nothing raised alarm bells. No spelling mistakes; all ebay colours & even the ebay email address seemed legit. I got a response from the Fake ebay really quickly & gave them all my info except bank details, but now I have to look out for ID theft!! What a DOPE I am. 

Man is my face red!! This is one of the best scams I've seen in 30 odd years. I hope the perpetrators get caught & this all ends. it's just too damned good!!

Message 38 of 122
Latest reply

Hey Carjani_76, DO you have info for anyone in the Police I can add details to? I've just been scammed & have a new rego to add to the list.
Message 39 of 122
Latest reply

kat_palm
Community Member

Bro! I got the same message! Except this time it is apparently Sienna Reid...

Message 40 of 122
Latest reply