A Positive ebay story for a change.

The forums can get a bit depressing with all of the ebay problems and sellers threatening to pack their bags and leave, so I thought I would share a bit of ebay fun I,ve had in the past few days. ( yes there is still some there if you look hard enough )

I was browsing through the ebay book auctions a few weeks ago when I spotted a book with very brief title for $5 starting bid. I knew I could sell it for $50 and it would be a quick flip, so I put a $5 bid on it and promptly forgot all about it. I didnt think any more about it until I logged in a week or so later to find I had won the auction and the seller had opened a non payment claim, as I hadnt paid. A quick paypal transfer solved that and the padded bag with the book eventually turned up in the mail. I didnt bother opening it and just threw it in a pile with a couple of others to attend to when I got around to it.

Well I finally got around to opening it yesterday. As soon as I opened it I realised it was a rare edition in near mint condition and worth $100.............Smiley Happy

Feeling pretty chuffed I thumbed through the pages and noticed a small 20 page book, stapled to the back cover. I new this book series pretty well, but that was a new one to me. I had never heard of it before.  A google search showed it was ultra rare with perhaps only 50 or so printed. Wikapedia mentioned it, but the info there was all wrong, so after further research I edited the wikapedia entry.

Next I listed the little 20 page booklet on ebay for $200 and it sold within two hours to a collector in Japan. ( must have been too cheap....Smiley Very Happy   )  Ive still got the $100 book which will sell fairly quickly. All up it has been a pretty interesting little game. It looks like theres still some life left in the old ebay dog after all.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

You're dreamin'.

I have several books I have $100+ on. They rarely sell. One I've had listed for 6 years. I have a 20% off auto-accept on it, but I'm not selling it for less than that. If people want rare 1st eds of early work by now popular authors, they need to pay value. Which mine is.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

The two I purchased for $5 today are only going to be $35 books, but they should sell reasonably quickly at that price. Its bread and butter stuff, but thats what makes the ebay world go round.

I sold a really nice 1911  book a few weeks ago for a bit over $100. I was a bit dissapointed it sold as I wouldnt have minded keeping it myself. But we cant keep everything. The wife keeps telling me I have to clean some of my hoard up, but the longer I keep it, the more it is worth when I do get around to selling it..... she calls it junk. I call it investments.......Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

The two I purchased for $5 today are only going to be $35 books, but they should sell reasonably quickly at that price. Its bread and butter stuff, but thats what makes the ebay world go round.

I bought a Kalinda book at a fete for $1 years ago that I knew would sell quickly,(it ended up being the best  

profit wise as it sold for $137.50).

Bought another Kalinda a few weeks later that was held together by a shoe lace through holes in the spine for

50 cents and sold it for $50

It's being fun finding books that have sold on here,(don't it so much now as I don't go to the Op shops much

and their prices are ludicrous).

Clearance sales are few and far between and there doesn't seem to be many books at garage sales these

days,(but I still live in hope to find those books that can still make a profit),good.gif

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

We had 10 torana's in our early life,4 LC XU-1s,2 SLR 5000 and 4 stock looking but with 400 CHEV motors in them.

We sold all of them back in the 80's with the highest price of $6000 for an XU-1.

If we knew that these cars were going to perhaps fetch 100s of thousands of $$$ one day then we would have kept them lol.

Still have an XU-1 shell sitting in the garage ready to put together for the past 30 years and will get to doing it one day maybe lol.

Went to the summer nats this year and WOW

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

I know this is an old thread, but I just had to pass this on to all the XU-1 fans!!!

A 1973 Holden Torana GTR XU1 Coupe (Genuine) just sold at Auction.
It was Unregistered, 83000 miles, Orange, and had Paperwork from Holden to comfirm authenticity.
Wait for it

It sold for

$120,409
add 7% buyers premium and you have
$128,838

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

A friend of mine (another bookseller) bought a book at a garage sale ... checking the book at home ... found four crisp $100 notes inside

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

$400 is a lot of money to find, although you do find some odd things in old books.

I purchased a box of antique books at an auction once. When I got home I found someones foreign note collection along with a few pound & one and two dollar notes. I have still got the book & notes somewhere, but never checked out what is in the collection. I,m assuming its just low value stuff, but probably should have a look one day. I have also found a collection of pressed flowers in an old book.

Probably the most interesting find was an 1850,s family bible. One of the big old ones with ornate pressed leather bindings and coloured Gustave Dore lithographic prints of the apocalypse. It had a families collection of birth certificates, marriage & death certificates, ornate 1800,s babies christening cards and a set of 1920,s paper dolls with paper dolls clothes. Most of the certificates where dated from the mid to late 1800,s. I managed to track down a current family member and historian of the family history and returned the bible to the family. They where over the moon to find out the treasure existed and to get it back in family hands again.

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

On the collecting topic....
My neighbour is a bit of a coin collector.
Last week while shopping at the local Coles he received a rather shiny looking $1 coin in his hand. At the time he thought interesting I've never seen one of these before.
On returning home he checked in his coin catalogue to find that this particular coin had had only about 17,000 made and were never put into circulation. The value of his find is about $75.
So someone spent it without knowing what they had.
Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

Awww, c'mon Clarry.     Half a story!

What year was the coin?

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

@imastawkawrote:

Awww, c'mon Clarry.     Half a story!

What year was the coin?

I would have no idea.

I could ask him and add some more details here.

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply