A lesson on overcharging on postage

I’ve been selling online for 15 years, I have never deliberately overcharged on postage and if my postage quote was higher than the actual postage, I have always refunded. Postage is postage is postage, it’s not up to sellers to add costs to postage ie: packing, eBay and PayPal fees or as I’ve seen petrol costs to drive to the PO. I was overcharged $11.70 on postage, postage quoted $20, postage on parcel $8.30. Item was damaged because she didn’t box it as she said she would. Everyone told me “good luck getting that back, PayPal won’t give a partial refund for postage” Well.....PayPal did give me the refund, I sent PayPal screen shots of the messages between the seller and I where the seller states “eBay policies allow me to add costs to postage to cover my costs” wrong thing to write. eBay and PayPal do not allow sellers to add their eBay or PayPal fees to the postage, that goes against their polices. PayPal is starting to enforce this now and I recieved my refund last night. The seller is lucky I didn’t send the item back for a full refund, fair is fair. Add all costs to the item your selling, not to postage. I hope this stands as a lesson 

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@ljhosking wrote:

I’ve been selling online for 15 years, I have never deliberately overcharged on postage and if my postage quote was higher than the actual postage, I have always refunded. Postage is postage is postage, it’s not up to sellers to add costs to postage ie: packing, eBay and PayPal fees or as I’ve seen petrol costs to drive to the PO. I was overcharged $11.70 on postage, postage quoted $20, postage on parcel $8.30. Item was damaged because she didn’t box it as she said she would. Everyone told me “good luck getting that back, PayPal won’t give a partial refund for postage” Well.....PayPal did give me the refund, I sent PayPal screen shots of the messages between the seller and I where the seller states “eBay policies allow me to add costs to postage to cover my costs” wrong thing to write. eBay and PayPal do not allow sellers to add their eBay or PayPal fees to the postage, that goes against their polices. PayPal is starting to enforce this now and I recieved my refund last night. The seller is lucky I didn’t send the item back for a full refund, fair is fair. Add all costs to the item your selling, not to postage. I hope this stands as a lesson 

My understanding when the commisions on postage costs where introduced is that ebay did in fact have a policy stating that sellers could not include this charge in thier postage costs, and it may well still be the case..It was probably on this technicality that you recieved a refund. As far as I am aware ( and I have checked policies recently ) Ebay do not have a policy that says sellers cant add packing and handling fees to thier postage cost.  

If your seller was smart, they would have just said " packing and handling fees " and you would not have recieved the refund. I often charge more than the actual post cost to cover packing materials and self insurance . I also add " that other " large ebay fee to most of my international postage quotes. I,m not going to absorb that cost and I,m not going to add the extra amount to my selling price on the off chance an international client buys the item. That would be unfair to Australian buyers.

So one thing is certain. It doesnt matter how you cut and dice it, ( add ebay fees to the postage cost or add them to the listing price ) the buyer ALWAYS ends up paying ALL of ebays fees.  If they dont, the seller wont be around for very long.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

@ljhosking wrote:

To the bolded points, in order.

Yes, it is.

No, it doesn't.

Run a business, or better yet, buy a controlling interest in mine, before trying to tell me how to run it.

Thanks. 

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The lesson is....the seller just worded it incorrectly.

warning.jpg

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Why start a new thread.

I calculated to send that particular hat, in a box, would have cost approximately $40.  Now seeing as you are such a saint when it comes to postage, I am sure you would have noticed you had been undercharged and immediately forwarded an extra $20.00

to the seller.  Yeah right.

The way I read the listing, it states that to send the hat in a box, balloons the postage cost.  It did not actually state the item would be sent in a box.

Have you ever heard of flat rate postage,  that is how most sellers set there fees.  What might cost $10.00  to send from

Sydney to  Melbourne,  might cost  $30  to post to Broome.  Do sellers set  postage at  $10,   $30  or somewhere in the middle.

As you claimed in feedback that the hat had been damaged, then yes you should have requested a return and a full refund.

Note, the residents of two Australian cities, subsidise the cost of postage to the rest of Australia.  I somehow hope you reside

in one of those cities, so that now when ever you send or receive and item you will realise you are being ripped off on the actual cost.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

All I have learn't from your post is that when pigs fly I might not charge for packaging,fees etc etc hahahaha

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

ljhosking - well, your little lesson went down like a led balloon!

Don't get me wrong - it was a lesson all right - but it has taught me somthing entirelly different.

Enjoy your  PP win - it looks like not even adverse replies you are receiving will dampen your elation and enthusiasm in getting that postage refund!

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

@ljhosking,

I hope that you managed to salvage your hat.This hat. No, this hat! No, this hat. No, THIS hat...

I hope you are aware that eBay's Postage for sellers page says nothing about sellers not being able to include in the postage charge any associated costs. chameleon is absolutely correct.

I hope you can see that it would be illogical for a seller to be forced to include in the item price such postage-related expenses as any, some, or all of the following: packaging materials (bubble wrap, packing tape, boxes, satchels, packing peanuts), pens, ink, printer, labels, time spent on packaging based upon an hourly rate (if the postage options chosen at the time of listing didn't reveal the option of including a handling cost), any associated fuel costs, cost of postage, cost of extras (signature on delivery, priority, insurance, etc.), eBay's fee on the postage amount, self-insurance (to cover the items inevitably "lost", stolen, or otherwise claimed to be missing), and so on. (Should someone who picks up an item rather than have it delivered be paying for costs associated with postage, for instance? Something to consider...)

In the past, there definitely were eBay policies that forbade sellers to include some of those costs in the postage amount. That's changed; it no longer applies.

gutterpunkz has mentioned that your seller didn't actually say "This hat will be posted in a box", but rather addressed the point that sending in a box would result in a higher postage amount. The $20 quoted would NOT cover the cost of postage in a box. What postage method was actually set up in the postage tab? (My guess is... not a box.)

I hope you are pleased to have received a refund of $11.70. But... to be frank... that $11.70 was the least of your worries. You had a legitimate route to request a return and full refund since you say that the hat was damaged. But as you've posted to the effect that you want to try to force sellers into adding all costs to their items, and hope sellers learn a lesson from your PayPal refund victory, I suspect that sellers will instead learn an entirely different lesson and decide that you pose too high a risk to a smooth trouble-free transaction. Sellers mitigate that sort of risk by adding buyers/bidders to the blocked list. (Many sellers read here but never post.) That would be a sad outcome.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

That would be a sad outcome.

For who?

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

For Julianna Mühlbauer ... and the OP.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply