Account restricted

Hi I have a problem and need some advise from a computer expert. My account has been restricted for providing the customer my email address. Now I understand you are not supposed to do this it's a big no no.
My problem is that I never provided my email address, I replied to a question from a customer using my gmail account but still through the eBay message system for some reason the time stamp that is put on all emails has put my personal email address in. Talking to eBay they say that's not supposed to happen but its still my fault. Am I right in saying I don't control this part, that eBay are responsible because I used the correct way to respond? Really upset that I have been restricted for what amounts to be a tech fault but eBay are just not understanding and are saying it does not matter you are still banned. Is this fair? What options do I have? I can prove all of my claims with screenshots to show what happened. Why are eBay being so stubborn? Really need someone's help as this is costing me $1000s at this time of year. Thx matt
Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Account restricted

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you have been restricted for providing your email address you might as well just grin and bear it and sit out your suspension.  It is usually a week.

I have never heard of anyone being able to overturn a suspension in these circumstances.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Account restricted

Not the point, it's there system that put my email address in not me, so no I'm not letting it go. I've lodged paperwork to make a claim against them in the small claims court, I talked to a computer expert and he assured me that because eBay supply the platform for me to reply it's there fault if my email address is transmitted as I can't see this until after the email is sent basically saying I will no longer be able to reply to my messages as I will get banned again how do I get around that then? Do you see what I mean if I don't get it fixed it's just going to happen again
Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Account restricted

Can somebody that's understands how email time stamps work please help. I don't need to be told to let it go because I did nothing wrong it's a moral thing now also so commentS of that nature won't be helpful
Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Account restricted

Good thing to come out of this is I have stated the process to sell on amazon hopefully they respect there customers more than eBay
Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Account restricted

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you.
But I'm unclear how your personal email address has cross pollinated into the eBay message system.
If the buyet question came in thru eBay and you responded via there as well I'm not understanding how this could happen.
Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Account restricted

Me too I don't know either I explained that it was from mobile phone and maybe I was on a mobile vpn when I replied. But you can clearly see the email address in the time stamp which the ebay message system is not supposed to do that. I have explained everything to eBay provided proof and they still blame me but anyone who knows how time stamp work you know it does this after I press send. There is know way of me knowing that it was going to happen until it sent the email it's very simple something stuffed up but it certainly was not me. Thx
Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Account restricted

It does not matter now I've got the paperwork together and am taking them to the small claims court for a broken contract . I have a computer expert who will testify I had no control over the incident and it was a software failure as well as a lawyer willing to help out for free I will let independent people decide who's right and who's wrong because I'm 110% sure I'm right. I have eBay every opportunity to fix. I have all this in proof from eBay as they have agreed with me to a certain point but they still blame me.
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Account restricted

For starters you have not been talking to eBay.

It is a contracted company using a call centre in the Phillipines.

So they go by a script and often can't override the automated eBay system. (Suspension given)

Secondly it is also possible the reason you were given (email address in messages) may not be the real reason and simply the closest standard form that was presented as the reason. (Just replying to a request of email addy can trigger a warning without email addy being in the message)

If you have actually sighted the email addy in the recipient's message within the time stamp then that is a different story and is probably as suggested an eBay temp glitch.

As far as taking action against eBay, that will be very difficult because if you read the conditions you signed up for to use eBay, I think you will find that eBay relinquish all responsibility due to site and internet glitches. And as for the suspension, I also think eBay will be able to show the procedure of the system has acted in accordance with what you have agreed to when you signed their T&C's.

image host
Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Account restricted

Yep that's cool but by giving out my personal email address they have also broken Australian privacy laws which prevent this without my consent
Message 10 of 27
Latest reply