Anybody else had any unauthorised CC debits by eBay?

cq_tech
Community Member

I received notification from eBay yesterday that my CC details needed updating as it had almost expired, so I logged on to eBay and made the relevant changes.

Upon checking my Netbank balance a few minutes ago, I discover that eBay have charged me $1 under the details EBAY INTL AG - AU  SYDNEY NSW 20 AUS.

Now, I haven't sold for months and I owe eBay absolutely nothing, so I've emailed them and asked what the hell they think they're doing but have so far not received a reply.

Any idea wtf is going on before I contact the bank and dispute the charge, and have the bank hit eBay with a $15 reversal fee?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Anybody else had any unauthorised CC debits by eBay?

Anonymous
Not applicable

DO NOT click on any links in the email.

You probably haven't been addressed by name so it's

almost certainly a phishing scam.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry CQ...my mistake...didn't read your post properly.

This is normal. They have tapped your credit card to make sure it's alive and well.

You should get a refund shortly.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

Thanks term, it turns out that you're right, but I thought that only applied to new members, and not those who are simply updating expiry dates of pre-existing cards. 😮

The fellow I spoke with was very surprised that no mention was made of this in the reminder, and said he'll see if he can have something added so that others will understand what is happening.

I think we already know the outcome of that suggestion, don't we. :^O

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

'A dyslexic man walks into a bra'

Love it...lol

Sure glad they don't do a $100.00 tap or I would cop an

overdrawn fee for the bank although even $1.00 could theoretically do it.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

I guess that's inflation for you! :^O

When I first signed up, I remember Paypal taking (then almost immediately returning) amounts of 1c and 2c from my normal bank account (I bet that used to please the banks' accountants no end, but I digress).

However, although my credit card has been on file with eBay for 7 years and has been updated at least twice already, this is the first time that eBay have ever tested my card's validity by making a withdrawal, despite their having used it for listing & selling fees on numerous occasions in the past.

Sems that eBay are pretty quick when it comes to ignoring their own Community Values. 😐

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

yes they just took $1 from my account also and I am only a ebay buyer not seller!

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Yes...they took from my account, after i updated bank details. Im a buyer NOT a seller. Why should i be charged by them for updating
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

You'll get it back - they're just confirming the details, is all

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

The money will go back into your paypal account....they have just confirmed your account.  That is only done once and allows you to keep using the card for unlimited purchases.  While it is unconfirmed you will be limited in the number of tranactions you can do.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply