Are Vero Bans Constitutionally legal in Australia or could they lead to a class Action

So the reason Im writing this is I got a Vero warning and a takedown of listing on a hat I still swear is legitimate .

I was told next time I will Have a 3 day suspension from the site . It seems a very Drastic action considering that a counterfeiters whole business model is to fool people, including the experts , so what chance do I Have of determining the absolute Authenticity of an Item that I brought third hand . So anyway I was on the **bleep** ( Beers ) with my high class Barrister mate telling him my Storie and he was like " under Australian Law if you didn't know you were Breaking the law there's a probability you couldn't be prosecuted for it " So I was like but Ebay can Still ban Me ,' I saw the dollar signs flash across his eyes and he said that's not legal if you didn't know you were committing a crime , something called mens rea and he would love to test it .

Then he sent me an Email stating the next few segments :

The general rule of the English law is that no crime can be committed unless there is mens rea.

In Australia, the common law presumption of fault-based liability is also reflected in statute. Section 5.6 creates a rebuttable presumption that, to establish guilt, fault must be proven for each physical element of a offence.

In Australia offences are generally characterised 

• mens rea —they  must prove a physical element (knowledge that a crime has been committed )  (actus reus) and a mental element (mens rea);

• So are Vero bans a legal punishment for people who have no knowledge that have committed an infraction ........... just interested to hear opinions

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Are Vero Bans Constitutionally legal in Australia or could they lead to a class Action

The best legal lawyer in the country, by far!

sons_n_daughters_0-1696565049023.gif

Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

Re: Are Vero Bans Constitutionally legal in Australia or could they lead to a class Action

I've needed Denis Denuto on a number of occasions.

Hard man to get a hold of for some reason.

Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

I'm still trying to fathom ' Constitutionally legal '.

I certainly hope they have their act together on the 14th. lol

Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

You normally deal with the company not ebay regarding Vero issues and you are supplied with their contact details. The company would then contact ebay clearing the Vero ban.

Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

Specious argument. The OP is not the manufacturer and is clearly selling a secondhand hat. Which IS permitted in Australia.

Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

Nah, Dennis Denuto will fix it.

Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

Hi dave,  I dont think we know for  certain if it was  a new or second hand hat, if second hand the  OP states he can not prove the item is  authentic and vero still applies if reported as fake.

If new vero applies  for any breach of trademarks, property rights etc.

Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

OP states the hat is 'third hand'

Message 38 of 38
Latest reply