Buyer has moved

Australia Post returned a package that I sent indicating the addressee is not at the address provided. That was over a month ago. Messages to the buyer were unanswered until yesterday where they indicated they did indeed move and a new address was provided.

I contacted Ebay and they've suggested I send it because they have seen the buyer's reply with the new address. They've also indicated I would also have their protection for sellers because of the messages. Whatever that means. However, Ebay couldn't tell me if this protection also protects me against chargebacks and suggested I contact PayPal. So what protection is Ebay providing if I was to send it to the new address?

The advice had always been to send it to the Ebay / PayPal address provided on checkout. So I'm rather surprised Ebay suggested I send it to the new address! Anyone know what "security measures for sellers" they have and it actually means?
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Buyer has moved

I don't know what protection you would have but what would concern me as a seller would be that you would be up for a second lot of postage costs. That doesn't seem fair to me for something that was not your fault.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer has moved

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer has moved

Not your fault buyer changed address.
Send your buyer an invoice via paypal for them to pay for second lot of postage.
If buyer does not want to pay for postage i would see about canceling transaction due to there being an error with buyers address
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer has moved

I have had this happen a few times. In most cases the item was not worth a fortune, ( around $20-$30 ) and the postage was large letter rate. I just sent the item to the new address, wore the postage costs and crossed my fingers. I had this happen with an expensive item mailed in 3 kg. satchel once. It toured right around Australia as Australia Post did a great job of re-dirrecting and trying to find the recipient . After going from Queensland to Perth it returned to me three weeks later. .....Smiley Very Happy...........I had plenty of profit margin in the item, so just sent that to the new address at my own expense with tracking. It got there eventually.

No its not fair but a lot of things on ebay ar'nt fair. My own attitude is if you sweat the small stuff here it just becomes too  stressful to sell on the platform. Most of the time these things work out OK.

Having said that, I doubt that you would have a lot of protection from ebay. Everything is automated and the humans that are there just follow script and are not authorised to make rational decisions. Even if you do speak to a supervisor and get the whole thing sorted out eventually, it is usually more hassle and time wasted than its worth.

If this situation concerns you I would cancel the transaction due to " a problem with buyers address". This option should not give your account a defect. If you do this put the buyer on your BBL. as well as they may cause trouble in the future. 

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer has moved

Thanks for the replies. The item is over $200 so I sent it with signature at my own expense. And lucky I did because AP would have safe drop to the wrong person!

I don't trust what Ebay CS have said because we all know how well they look after sellers! ๐Ÿคฅ PayPal has confirmed that I can only send it to the address provided on checkout so I will refund and cancel the transaction.
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer has moved

It's been too long! I can't cancel the order! I will be to refund through PayPal, but does that mean I can't get my fees back???!
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer has moved

The advice had always been to send it to the Ebay / PayPal address provided on checkout. So I'm rather surprised Ebay suggested I send it to the new address! Anyone know what "security measures for sellers" they have and it actually means?

Just to clarify, the stipulation is to always send to the address in the PayPal notification NOT ebay notification.

And if they differ, querie it with the buyer. Often buyers change their address in eBay but forget to renew the addy in Paypal.

Sending it to the address in PayPal email gives protection.

image host
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer has moved

Once a buyer goes through checkout to get to Paypal the address in Paypal will be that which was showing in checkout so it is impossible to send to the wrong address unless you go by the item sold ebay notification sent as soon as the item is purchased.

I would not have contacted ebay, that just complicated the problem. You had, and still have, Paypal seller protection as long as you sent to the checkout address so if it were me I would ask the buyer for the cost of tracked and insured postage to resend it or the offer of a refund less original postage and ebay fees.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Buyer has moved

@*bellee* wrote:
It's been too long! I can't cancel the order! I will be to refund through PayPal, but does that mean I can't get my fees back???!

I don't think this is the best choice.    In the end the buyer has contacted you with the new address.     I would send an paypal request for the extra postage, and if they pay, make sure you send it with signature on delivery.      The buyer should be pleased that you have attempted to trace them.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply