Buyer has not yet picked up their parcel

Hi all,

I posted an item to a buyer interstate (I paid for shipping via AusPost), and they have not yet picked it up after several days. If this item is returned to me, do I, as the seller, get a refund on shipping? Otherwise I’m out of pocket paying for the shipping costs.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Buyer has not yet picked up their parcel

Very confused as to why you would say you're out of pocket on postage when the buyer paid for it?

If buyer does not pick up, then it will be returned to you after a certain number of days. Once you have it back you should refund ONLY the price of the item/s (you cannot keep the item/s as well as the buyers money). However, you do not refund any postage as this was used up in getting the item to the buyer.

You can then put the buyer on your blocked list, and relist the item for sale again.

Another scenario here is that the buyer has changed their mind about the purchase (which happens quite often), and no amount of contact will help. Again, in this case the parcel will ultimately go back to you and you follow the protocol mentioned above. 

I hope you put a return address on the parcel though.

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

@siobhan*028 wrote:

I sent it via AusPost and had to pay $16 to send the item in store. 

You sent it via Aust Post - with the money the buyer paid for postage.

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

@siobhan*028 wrote:

The buyer did pay for postage, but I sent it via AusPost so I had to pay postage when I sent it. I didn't want to send it via Sendle.

You do understand that buyer paid you for postage, which you then used those funds for posting?

So.....you are not out of pocket??? The buyer is atm

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

@siobhan*028 wrote:

The buyer did pay for postage, but I sent it via AusPost so I had to pay postage when I sent it. I didn't want to send it via Sendle.

I give up.

If the OP doesn't even understand who actually paid for postage, I fear this is not the last time we will see them here asking for help.

OP, yes you physically paid the PO $16 - but the buyer paid you $16.65 for postage when they bought the item and paid you for the item cost plus postage.

Do you think that Sendle is free postage by any chance?

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

Yeah, fair enough. I was just a bit confused about what would happen if it’s sent back to me. But I guess that eBay would just refund the item to the buyer and not the shipping?

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

Hi,

Sorry to be such a pain! I’m a relatively new seller so I’m just genuinely asking for help, but obviously I’m mucking it up a bit, so I apologise for not understanding properly. 

I understand that the buyer has covered the postage I spent, but I was just curious about what happens then if the parcel was returned to me, as I’m whether the buyer gets a refund for the postage. From what I understand now though they won’t get the postage refunded.

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

You're the one in charge of the refund breakdown IF the parcel gets sent back to you. You'll have to manually process it, but it's quite easy.

Don't stress about it. Keep an eye on the tracking number to see if there is any movement, but I would refrain from communicating with the buyer going forward.

What was the buyers feedback for others like? You can go to their feedback page and click on "Left for Others" to see if they have any bad habits towards sellers. You should always check out a buyers feedback left for sellers anyway, as there are some buyers on this platform who are best avoided.

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the advice and info. I did check their feedback but there was no feedback that they had left themselves funnily enough, just feedback for them as a buyer, which was positive, so I guess I will just see what happens and just go with it. Thanks a lot!

Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

Nothing to do with eBay. They are an advertising platform. The transaction is between you and the buyer.

In the unlikely event the item is returned to you, refund less postage and eBay fees. Simple. The buyer won't be entitled to a refund through eBay, as inability to collect is not a valid reason for a refund.

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

Thanks! That’s good to know in case that happens. 

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply