Buyer has not yet picked up their parcel

Hi all,

I posted an item to a buyer interstate (I paid for shipping via AusPost), and they have not yet picked it up after several days. If this item is returned to me, do I, as the seller, get a refund on shipping? Otherwise I’m out of pocket paying for the shipping costs.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I can relate my experiences in this situation.

Your buyer may not be aware that the item is available - I once found a "unable to deliver" card under a door mat. I was lucky as the RTS date was in 2 days.

When APO lets me know one of my sent parcels is waiting at the PO for collection they give a due date for the recipient to collect. I wait a week then either ring the buyer or send them an email to let them know, just in case they hadn't been carded.

So far all but one of my sent parcels have been collected. The one that was returned ended up being resent to the buyer's mother's address  - and that buyer paid postage again, but they did a dd to my bank account as trying to organise via ebay would've been a nightmare.

I'd recommend waiting a week, then an "in case you didn't receive a card from Aus Post, just letting you know..." email or ring them.

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

My only experience with this is the time the PO omitted mark it as collected.

It was weeks - so rang the PO concerned and was told it had been collected but not marked as such.

Patience - perhaps they only go when in town or passing - and you know where it is.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

@siobhan*028 wrote:

Hi all,

I posted an item to a buyer interstate (I paid for shipping via AusPost), and they have not yet picked it up after several days. If this item is returned to me, do I, as the seller, get a refund on shipping? Otherwise I’m out of pocket paying for the shipping costs.

No you're not.

The buyer paid for shipping.

And no, you wouldn't get a refund on shipping as it was paid to Australia Post for their services.

Who do you expect to refund the postage?

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

Sometimes the delivery attempted card is not left or put somewhere stupid. Contact the seller and let them know just in case. If the item is returned, some sellers are able to charge a restocking fee and if the buyer did not follow correct returns procedure ebay can decide they get refunded cost of item but not cost of postage. I cant remember if this info is under seller protection or mbg. 

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

I gave the ' out of pocket ' bit a miss finding it just a tad naive - with a charge on all 24 items $16.65 postage. LOL

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

In MBG exclusions: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-pol...

The buyer is not covered if they refuse delivery or fail to collect, but would be good idea to refund item cost anyway.

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

Thanks so much! Yeah, I contacted the buyer to let them know that the item had arrived and is awaiting collection, but so far nothing. 

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

@siobhan*028 wrote:

Hi all,

No you're not.

The buyer paid for shipping.

And no, you wouldn't get a refund on shipping as it was paid to Australia Post for their services.

Who do you expect to refund the postage?

I guess I thought that eBay would need to pay for shipping if the item is returned to me because they didn't pick it up, since the buyer would get a refund for the item, and so I spent $16 to send it to them which I won't get back. 

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Thanks! Yeah, I contacted them two days ago but they still haven't picked it up or replied, so it's particularly odd, though perhaps not unusual. In any case it's the first time this has happened to me as a seller, where someone isn't picking up their parcel. I thought if they're working often and can't get it during the week that they might pick it up today as it's Saturday, but nothing yet. 

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply