Buyer put in a return request 5 weeks after receiving a used camera lens.

The lens was in excellent condition but the buyer put in a return request 5 weeks after receiving the item claiming the lens was scratched and did not match the description or the lens in the photos which is rubbish.  My feedback is 100% and I am a small seller with usually about 10 items for sale at any one time. 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Buyer put in a return request 5 weeks after receiving a used camera lens.

Have they just asked you to take the item back or have they actually opened a case?

What is their feedback left for others like?

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Just also be aware there are some buyers who will open a return request and then return their own, old item which is damaged , having bought a new one/better condition one

They get their money back and a better item for free

Did yours have any kind of marking/number on it so you know it *is* the one you sold?

Have you asked for photos of the damage?

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

5 weeks is too late for ebay MBG

I think they've just messaged.

I'd be very wary about accepting a return, I'm also thinking they might return an old one and get a newer one free.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Doh

No idea how I missed that 😫

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I think it's an official request, as it's last day of the ETA + 30 days. If the buyer received the item within a few days but it had an ETA of 1-2 weeks (common these days, due to extended handling times and ebay accounting for longer delivery times as well), then 5 weeks after receipt would put it right on the cusp of eligibility.

OP - Do you have an option to decline the request? I got one (an item not as described return request, that is), last week where the original purchase date was over 2 months ago, and for the first time there was actually an option to decline because it was no longer eligible for the MBG. If you don't have that option, then eBay will probably enforce the request for the buyer unless you can argue successfully that either the purchase is no longer eligible (check the exact dates if you can), or there is other evidence you can provide that the item was received in as described condition (eg positive feedback, or other communication from the buyer).

If customer service can't assist, the options are unfortunately very limited,  so you'll need to be prepared to arrange for the item to be returned (there should also be an option to offer a partial refund, sometimes - as grating as it is to even think about when you suspect the buyer is taking advantage - this can be a good option to avoid a return and full refund, but you'd need to communicate with them first to ensure they would accept this as once an offer has been made, if they reject it you'll have to move forward with the return process). 

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Than you for you detailed reply.  I have been in contact with Customer Service and as the return request was submitted later than 30 days after the item was received,  I am under no obligation to accept the request.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you,  it has been resolved. As it was more than 30 days since the buyer received the item I do not have to accept the return.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you for your response. I sell mostly cameras and lenses an I am really careful to make sure the item is in good clean condition. If not I say so and sell it for parts or repair.   It was remiss of me to not include a picture of the serial no this time but as the return request was outside the 30 day window, I do not have to agree to the return.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you, you are correct.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply