Buyer refuses to pay because i use Paymate not Paypal

Hoping someone can help me understand this as i'm a relatively new seller.

You must offer Paypal or Paymate so after reading many horror stories and scam stories involving Paypal i chose Paymate. A bit like choosing a Mac over a PC i thought.

I had one potentially bad experience with Paypal early on when a buyer claimed "not as described" which is when i switched to Paymate. Fortunately Paypal correctly found in my favour at that time but i read enough forums to know i didn't want to be exposed to that risk again.

So i sell a chainsaw local pick up but will also post. Message me for quote. i have 6 payment options but it's Paymate not Paypal.

Winning bidder lives on the other side of the country so it's a postage job and she wants to pay by Paypal or nothing "if you want your money"...

Firstly she's a real slow one. Had to send the postage quote twice...had to ask her to read the invoice twice...and she obviously never read the ad and doesn't know Ebay well as she's accusing me of being a potential scammer and not following Ebay rules by not allowing Paypal...So...

Next thing is i will probably have to kill the sale and re list the item or offer second chance but how to do so without getting a neg? the new Feedback revoking thing for unpaid item disputes has a clause where it doesn't apply if the item had local pick up offered. ??? I can't for the life of me figure out why when a buyer is refusing to pay it matters that the listing offered local pick up and therefore....the non paying buyer can still leave negative feedback even with an unpaid item dispute going just because local pick up was offered. Insane.

The sale was only 2 days ago so i obviously haven't opened a dispute but i can already tell this buyer has turned and it's all gone pear shaped. How can i get out of this? any suggestions?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Buyer refuses to pay because i use Paymate not Paypal

col52
Community Member

but the average buyer will not touch Paymate.

I won't.. I think I actually tried to open an account once to buy off someone off eBay as they didn't have PayPal, but I just gave up in the end because I couldn't work it out..

Any seller I come across that offers Paymate I avoid and shop somewhere else..  PayPal works for me so that's what I'll use

It has been said several times here, you do not need to open an account with Paymate to make a payment! (as long as using a credit card to make payment)

Hula, hula, lets all do da hula
Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

It has been said several times here, you do not need to open an account with Paymate to make a payment! (as long as using a credit card to make payment)

Would still rather use PayPal as I usually pay out of my bank account.. I have only ever come across a seller offering Paymate instead of PayPal once.. And that was outside of eBay

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

I offer both Paymate and Paypal for the majority of my sales, but everyone uses Paypal (haven't sold one thing yet via Paymate).

Paypal is OK with me because it gives the buyer peace of mind and for that I reckon it's worth the 2.4%. I accepted Paypal well before it became mandatory, after they did a promotion many years ago and I did some test listings.

What I did was offered the exact same items (you could have dupicate listings back then) but at 2 different price points - I made it 5% more expensive on Paypal Only listing compared to my Bank Deposit Only listings. Over the next week I sold more and made more profit by offering Paypal, so I was converted :^O

But after reading an old post by one of the respondants in this thread, I've started to offer Paymate ONLY... but just for Pickup items. Nobody ever uses it, which is great and it stops the complication of Paypal when I really want them to inspect BEFORE paying.

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

So the main theme coming through this thread is BUYERS DO NOT LIKE PAYMATE. I would think this should be a big hint to sellers then.

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

I have found myself in this situation I did not read that the buyer does not have paypal only paymate and I don't have a credit card I am a now stuck with an unpaid item case against me as the seller will not allow a cancelation. what do they get out of not helping you to cancel?
Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

This thread is nearly 3 years old and a lot has changed, including the fact that many of the posters no longer come to the boards.

What the sitiation was 3 years ago I do not know, but these days if the seller "helps" you to cancel the item they will get a defect for their trouble.

By opening an unpaid item case they do not get a defect and will get their fees refunded.

Do you think it fair that a seller should be seen as defective because YOU made a mistake?

Once the strike has been issued to you there will be a link in the email to appeal it.  Use that and ebay may remove it for you.

Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

Edited out as very old thread!

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply