Buyer returns a piece of paper instead of the actual item purchased

I sold a pair of Yonex Badminton shoes to a buyer in India. He wanted to return saying the it is too tight although I sent the correct size he ordered. He said he would pay return postage. Then he said he was sending return back via DHL and made a claimfor full refund in eBay immediatley with the reason  the item didn't match the descriptio after he got DHL shipping number. However, there is a very thin envelope with paper inside instead of a pair of shoes when DHL tried to deliver it to us. We knew it is not shoes inside and refused to accpet the envelope and notified eBay immediately. However, eBay still made a decision in favour of buyer and issued a refund to the buyer.

What can we do if a buyer returns a peice of paper or any rubbish instead of the item he bought and claims that the item is returned?

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Why on earth would the OP post a thread seeking advice on this matter under their selling ID if they were telling porkies - as you seem to be alluding to.

BTW when did you last visit the OPs "place" ?  How on earth would you know the photo was taken inside or out, in an office or a warehouse, a house or a caravan ?

Message 31 of 49
Latest reply

hi mr cat for a start i am talking about in general and have said i believe  the seller what is stopping sellers say the package was empty   or for that  matter buyers state the parcel is empty..  tell me do you think ebay reads these posts   so why not post here.

but if i was the seller i would post saying this bloke from india has sent me an empty package    but he has not opened it yet  what is he waiting for    it is simple track the item and see who has the parcel   ????????????

Message 32 of 49
Latest reply

I am very much a ms cats thanks - or just plain cats is fine, no title expected  Cat Very Happy

What is stopping sellers saying the package they receive is empty?

Proof I suppose.

Proof including such as the OP has - by not accepting the packaging so no opportunity to tamper, having a photo of the package with tracking number showing and also showing it is clearly flat, a courier code for that package also supporting that the contents are documents (or something similarly flat) and online tracking for all the world to see on the internet, supporting that the package has not been accepted.

Further to this the OP or any other seller can complete a stat dec and submit that as further evidence, if the buyer was an Australian one a police report would also be appropriate.

The other evidence that can be used is selling history and track record of seller handling of claims or buyer problems.  

Message 33 of 49
Latest reply

im sorry ms cats  remember i am talking general here  if i returned a package back to you  and you did not except it it would mean you dont want to refund me the cost of the product   what else can ebay do  you dont want to except the package its now been tampered with another sticker on it   what does this seller want ebay to go to dhl office and claim the package so that they can see its flat [[leave me alone]

Message 34 of 49
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

and something i dont know and maybe someone can help are these stickers easy to take off these type of packages

NO, the stickers are almost impossible to remove without destroying the label and the satchel.

It is about as easy to remove the label as it is to open the satchel without destroying both of them.

This is the case with all the packages/labels from all the courier companies that I have ever worked for or had contact with.

Message 35 of 49
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

On another selling id we have set all listings to 'Returns not accepted' with a note in each listing

explaining that we want to be given the opportunity to sort out a problem rather than be subject to an automated process.

This simply means that ebay may in fact grant the refund but only after the seller acknowledges receipt of the goods

in good order.

It hasn't affected our sales.

Message 36 of 49
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

im sorry ms cats  remember i am talking general here  if i returned a package back to you  and you did not except it it would mean you dont want to refund me the cost of the product   what else can ebay do  you dont want to except the package its now been tampered with another sticker on it   what does this seller want ebay to go to dhl office and claim the package so that they can see its flat [[leave me alone]

The package has NOT been tampered with.  If an extra sticker on a courier delivered parcel is "tampering" then every parcel delivered through the ebay sponsored GSP service has been tampered with and no claims of any sort should ever be accepted from buyers or sellers.

The parcel in question has not been opened as seen in the photograph and the extra sticker that you deem to be tampering is the DHL system keeping track of the whereabouts of the parcel from pickup in India to delivery/non-delivery in Australia.  Every courier company that I am aware of has to add a further bar code to a parcel that has to be re-delivered.

Message 37 of 49
Latest reply

go to aca.  

i'd love to see ebay defending this.

Message 38 of 49
Latest reply

@joethenuts wrote:

how do you think that the seller took some photos of the package   do you think that the driver said sure take your time take some photos i will wait outside dont bother signing for it and when you are finished taking photos just hand it back but dont take anything out of the package       please     they wont hand you a package unless you sign for it   **these  pictures were taken from inside his place

and something i dont know and maybe someone can help are these stickers easy to take off these type of packages

**how do you know that?

The image posted above,  could be the package being held up against the side of a white courier van/truck. Clearly that flat parcel/envelope doesn't have a pair of shoes in it.

I don't think the courier driver would mind if the OP wanted to take a quick snap of the item with a mobile phone camera.

If the OP mentioned they were expecting a pair of shoes from India, not a flat envelope.

Message 39 of 49
Latest reply

DHL document 003.jpg โ€992 KB

Here's the 2nd photo the OP posted

Message 40 of 49
Latest reply