Buyer returns a piece of paper instead of the actual item purchased

I sold a pair of Yonex Badminton shoes to a buyer in India. He wanted to return saying the it is too tight although I sent the correct size he ordered. He said he would pay return postage. Then he said he was sending return back via DHL and made a claimfor full refund in eBay immediatley with the reason  the item didn't match the descriptio after he got DHL shipping number. However, there is a very thin envelope with paper inside instead of a pair of shoes when DHL tried to deliver it to us. We knew it is not shoes inside and refused to accpet the envelope and notified eBay immediately. However, eBay still made a decision in favour of buyer and issued a refund to the buyer.

What can we do if a buyer returns a peice of paper or any rubbish instead of the item he bought and claims that the item is returned?

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

@twyngwyn wrote:

DHL document 003.jpg โ€992 KB

Here's the 2nd photo the OP posted

Thanks.  Just inside the front door? with 2 people holding it? The OP and courier driver?

Message 41 of 49
Latest reply

THIS IS AN INTERESTING CASE    why i am talking about is 98% of my sales are pick ups from 2 locations in melbourne as my product is heavy and it would have to go by courier we ony list pick ups but we do about 2 % in courier i was  thinking about increasing my sending out part but wanted to see the flaws in postage ,

now can somebody tell me if this parcel was filled with something that looks like a pair of shoes ala foam and cardboard the seller would of excepted the parcel but when they opened it there was no shoes in it were does the seller stand   and dont tell me about afadavids they can be used by both parties .

ok i send a parcel to person a  he reicieves the parcel  but states the parcel was empty  do i loose my stock and postage money

Message 42 of 49
Latest reply

how to find the missing badminton red shoes...

is anybody going to the olympics next year to see the badminton then can you check on the indian team if you see a chap wearing a size 9 red shoe could you ask him [nice shoes were did you get them from and if he says on ebay from australia let us know.

so the buyer says he sent them back the seller says he got an empty parcel well they can only be with the courier  on the 2nd picture is one of the guys holding the parcel the courier did you notice his shoes look like size 9  red shoes mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Message 43 of 49
Latest reply

I am the seller of the item stated in this topic. I have appealed to eBay, but have not received final decision yet. I guess my appeal will be rejected accoring to my past experience. Recently, eBay protects buyers more and the decisions are always in favour of buyers. If the buyer claimed there is something wrong in the product, then seller needs to pay return shipping fee. Since you are selling big items, the return shipping fee would be very expensive and the item returned may not be re-sellable. The buyer may damage it or forget to put some parts back. You end up refunding the buyer and giving up the item.

For exampe, we sold a big item to one buyer in WA. The buyer at first claimed that there are screws and nuts missing and he had to go to one hardware shop to buy the missing parts. Then 2 days later, he said he wanted his money back because the item looks like used one. He showed me few photos including carton and one rusted long bolt. I said we would refund you if you return the item to us. But he wanted us to pay return shipping fee and lodged a claim to eBay. eBay made final decision as his request. Finally, he got the item without paying a cent. We lost the item and shipping fee.

I think we have to regard this as our running cost. As a small business, we really do not time to fight for those cases.

Message 44 of 49
Latest reply

We took the photos just inside the front door. DHL driver said he earns $1.00 if the item is not accepted and gets $2.50 if it is delivered.
Message 45 of 49
Latest reply

I do not know what is the best way to do, accpet the item and claim there is no shoes inside or decline to accpet the item. If the parcel was accepted, It would be said who could prove there are no shoes. You may have taken the shoes already and show us another envelope.

eBay does not defend anything, it only makes decision. Small business does not have time to keep fighting against its decision.

Message 46 of 49
Latest reply

I am sorry that this has happened to you - it is terrible, but ebay is deciding in favour of the buyer in the majority of cases that I read about on this board and on social media forums.

I read several long threads on the US Ebay forum last night. I read of a seller who sells over 1.8 million US $ of antique jewellery on Ebay a year. She has 5 M&M antique jewellery shops in the US as well. She is currently moving all her stock off Ebay and onto a site called Live Auctions because of increased buyer theft since the EMBG came in.

I have decided not to list anything on Ebay anymore that I cannot afford to lose - any items that I now get to list that I cannot afford to lose l am listing on Etsy.

I am really sorry that this has happened to you and I understand that you would be upset, but Ebay simply do not care. What they have done is opened the door for more and more buyer theft and as word gets around, the incidences are just going to start increasing.

The UK and US Ebay seller boards are a real eye opener of how bad it is getting.
Message 47 of 49
Latest reply

B&M antique jewellery shops
Message 48 of 49
Latest reply

i understand your problem but not excepting the article does not help your case 

off course there is no shoes in the parcel   but  you should see whats in the parcel it might surprise you  good luck

Message 49 of 49
Latest reply