Buyer's address is wrong, your advice please.

I have sold an item, buyer is a newbie(0) feedback. Her postcode and the city don't match.  Seems she has put a city in, NO suburb.

I have messaged her to correct it in Paypal and eBay before I can send the item. However, in the past I have come across many who put the suburb and also the city in, and labels won't print as they have put the city in the suburb line. I had one customer I told about it, and even though she corrected it, it did not correct on the address I was seeing, so I supect it would only be correct for future sales. So this is my dilemna...even if she does correct it, I cannot send the parcel to an incorrect address if I do not see the new address, so do I need to cancel the sale and tell her to rebuy when she corrects her address, so that the correct information comes through to me? If I need to cancel the sale, and I select "something wrong with the buyer's address" does she have to agree? I wouldn't think so. However, way back I had a buyer from Spain buy from me even though I am only selling in Australia, I cancelled the sale and marked it "buyer is in a location I don't send to" and he still had to agree to the cancellation. Also, would I get a defect for cancelling? Your advice is very much appreciated.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Buyer's address is wrong, your advice please.

Yes Dave, I have had many that quote the Capital City in their address, as myself being from the old school, we always quoted our addresses to include the Capital City, now the Post Office just wants suburbs and postcodes. I've had to remove Capitals from many addresses to get a label to print, just never had one with a Capital City and no suburb before, the Buyer's name sounds foreign, so maybe English is their second language or they don't fully understand.

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Yes Dave, I have had many that quote the Capital City in their address, as myself being from the old school, we always quoted our addresses to include the Capital City, now the Post Office just wants suburbs and postcodes. I've had to remove Capitals from many addresses to get a label to print, just never had one with a Capital City and no suburb before, the Buyer's name sounds foreign, so maybe English is their second language or they don't fully understand.

I bet I am a lot older than you and I have NEVER heard of an address including the capital city. Are you from Queensland by any chance?

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

i am noticing many buyers now are not giving their full address 

why ebay /paypal alow this is crazy 

many many times lately ive had to google to get  either post codes, suburbs or states 

and with many suburbs haing the same post code its all confusing 

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Old school internet I think they mean. Back in the early days many websites did not properly acknowledge that they were communicating with the whole world, so they asked for addresses in just their local format which was most often the USA. And USA addresses are formatted with a city where we would put a suburb.

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

I find it's usually just the state that's missing, and since the first digit of postcodes tell the state it's easy to fix.

(like 2000=NSW 4000=QLD 0000=NT)

I have come accross some odd stuff though, once I had someone who's postcode was a special code reserved for AusPost buildings or something, I forget the details, but it did not look like a normal Aussie postcode.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

Even today, quite a few Melbournians include MELBOURNE in their address if asked for their full address. For example,

Mr Fedwitz Larrikindunniemere-Smythe,

26 Sourberry Ave.,

Hampton East,

MELBOURNE VIC 3188.

For the record, there's no such person and no such street address, to the best of my knowledge. I made it all up.

However, the inclusion of MELBOURNE (or Melbourne) comes from first-hand official (non-eBay and non-label-related) knowledge.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

Ah well, as long as it's not the devil's postcode. I hear that postmen may sometimes be told to go to that suburb/city/infernal kingdom, but it's not part of the regular delivery route.

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Even today, quite a few Melbournians include MELBOURNE in their address if asked for their full address. For example,

Mr Fedwitz Larrikindunniemere-Smythe,

26 Sourberry Ave.,

Hampton East,

MELBOURNE VIC 3188.

For the record, there's no such person and no such street address, to the best of my knowledge. I made it all up.

However, the inclusion of MELBOURNE (or Melbourne) comes from first-hand official (non-eBay and non-label-related) knowledge.

I have a semi-regular buyer who does that with his northern suburb, which is 15km from the CBD. Confused the heck out of me at first, went looking for another suburb of the same name.

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

You can always use google maps, street view.   Then ask if their  house/flat etc  is the one with the green door and yellow letterbox etc.  They normally reply pretty quick then.

I now use My Post Business, instead of ebay post.   The Auto complete/correct  saves heaps of time  and is pretty user friendly.

Still it would be a lot easier if people would just enter their address and phone number correctly.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

I usually find the sub using google then write the adress as: line 1. 6 fantasy lane,  line 2. googlesub, VIC, line 3 googlesub, line 4, VIC 1234

Doing this you have given the address as provided by the buyer plus the extra needed to get it  to the right place.

I have done this countlesstimes and it has never caused a problem.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 20 of 27
Latest reply