Buyer threatening to report me for fraud

Hi,

I'm a recently new seller on ebay (two months now) and am having my first problem with a 'difficult' seller. I received a message from them this morning stating that if their item didn't arrive today then they would report me for fraud. Their item was sent on Thursday 29th April and they received an expected delivery date of Tuesday 4th May through Australia Post. The fact that it is ONE day behind the ESTIMATED delivery date is apparently the reasoning for my 'fraudulent' behaviour. However, right next to the estimated delivery date on the Aus Post tracking website it states that the item has been delayed. I've sent an inquiry to Aus Post about this but that'll take 24-48 hours to get a response from them. Further, if you look at the estimated delivery times on the Aus Post website it states that it generally takes 3 to 5 business days for an item to arrive from my state to theirs. I live regionally, so I imagine it would be the latter of that estimate. It has only been 3 business days (including today) since I posted (not 4 business days due to a public holiday on Monday 3rd May). I have sent the buyer a picture of the Aus Post receipt as further proof of me sending the item.

If anything I would have an easier time accepting a 'non-delivery' claim, but fraud? Is there anything I can do about this? I know that if they do submit the claim ebay will likely side with them without question (at least that is my interpretation after reading around). Is there any way I can formally complain about the buyer and their threat or am I screwed because it's one day past the estimated date, even though the postal service itself has recognised it as delayed?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer threatening to report me for fraud

Personally, I think you've wasted more than enough time on this impatient idiot buyer.

You've uploaded the tracking number, so that should be enough.

Impossible to report you for fraud.

Just keep all those messages in case they decide to open a case for INR.

I'd also be putting them on my BBL in case they decide to hate you so much, they buy the cheapest thing you sell, just to give you a negative.

Blocking a buyer | eBay

It won't stop the messages for a while, but should stop them buying again.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Just to be clear:   has the  tracking number been entered by you against the item

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Yes, the tracking number was submitted when the item was marked as sent on the Thursday. The buyer has definitely seen it too, as that is their reasoning for claiming fraud i.e. that it is now one day past the expected delivery date that the tracking number shows.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

I dont think you should worry.   Probably just a nervous buyer.     I would just reply politely,  telling him that the item is in transit and you are following it up for him.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

and in your reply, remind him again that Queensland had a public holiday on Monday, so all mail is "delayed"

If he is able to file a non-delivery dispute (which I don't think he can yet) - the tracking number will protect you.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

And in answer to your question:  . Is there any way I can formally complain about the buyer and their threat 

you can only report the buyer if he used bad language or threats.     

I'm sorry you have this situation, but as I said, I think it's just a nervous buyer.   Try to ride it out.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

I've done all of the above. Pointed out that it is marked as delayed, that Monday was a public holiday, that delivery times from my location to their location can be longer than what was provided, that I have followed up with Australia Post on the matter. They have responded by saying that when they purchased it, the estimated delivery date showed by ebay was Monday 3rd May and that all of this is my fault because if I knew of a delay I should have informed them. But I didn't realise there was a delay until they had messaged me. Should I be checking all of my tracking numbers each day? It seems like I am getting blamed for problems at Aus Post.

Anyway, now they are wanting a full refund and are saying they will send the item back when they receive it. They've also made it very clear they'll be giving me negative feedback. As a new seller that will have a big impact on me. Given what I've said, how much luck would I have getting ebay to remove that when given? 

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Definitely do not refund.     Reply to each and all their messages, politely but firmly,  reoying that you have sent the item and expect it to be delivered shortly.

If  they give negative feedback do not do anything, including reciprocal feedback,  before coming back to these boards and getting advice.

Save all their messages, you might need them.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Welcome to selling mate, so sorry your going through this, 99.9% of buyers are great, you have unfortunately come to a bad egg by the sounds of it, There is guidelines about giving Negative against someone, you have not dont anything wrong so if he does leave negative, contact Ebay and they can remove it straight away for you and put a strike on the buyer for false Feedback, it happens but rare, just let the item arrive to him, i wouldnt refund him yet, he may have a change of heart and things may still work out fine but if not, in this situation, you explain this to Ebay what you have said here and you will be fine, guaranteed mate

Good luck with ya selling 🙂

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Yes and messages you and buyer write may come in handy as Ebay may want to look at them so talk nice, polite but firm, Ebay can see any message between you 2 so any threats from him will work against him, so what i have read, i believe u have no problem at all, i have had 1 unfair negative myself which Ebay removed and i still had 100% after i spoke to them so you will be fine mate 😉

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply