Can anyone suggest better cheaper parcel post services than Australia Post?

Hi everyone, both eBay and Australia Post are increasing their charging, and even paypal!!!  How are we as online sellers survive during this not so good economic? 

Does anyone know a better cheaper service for parcel posting?  Either up 500g or over would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Why is it harsh?  Just telling it like I find it.

And do you mean AP Couriers or AP Contractors?  They are two very different services.

My AP Contractor has been delivering to me for nearly 8 years now and has been leaving my parcels in a weatherproof container at the side of the house out of sight of the street.

My postman of nearly 2 years will also put items in the same container if they are too large for the postbox...does not happen very often though as most of the larger things come with the contractor anyway.

I get a number of magazine subscriptions too and quite often the postie will bring them up to the door and ring the bell.

I can not remember having anything delivered by AP Couriers but do know that if they cannot deliver something they will leave it at the PO and leave a card....they do not return things to base as most couriers do.

I gave my opinion of Fastway based on experience.....if I had quoted what is said about them in the courier industry then you might have reason to say I was being harsh.

Lucky you.   Close to the Melbourne CBD I have a different courier bring different type AP parcels, and they all change regularly so extremely difficult to train them all up via my "parcel delivery customer satisfaction charm school"

In one day, from AP I can have up to 4 different couriers (and/or AP contractors) and that doesn't include regular postie who delivers letters, as well as smaller parcels.  

Regarding the courier versus contractors "title" picky picky .... IMO depends really how you think about it - courier or freight service that has AP contract or just a "AP contractors" - many of the companies that deliver to me are courier / freight companies (or sole traders) and think of themselves as courier or freight businesses in their own right.

If you want to read any other particular angles into my other comments go for gold :^O

Message 11 of 40
Latest reply

I personally do not recommend Fastway.

Yes they have cheap rate, but their service is awful IMO.

I work for a company that uses Fastway for delivery, their drivers seem to be playing tricks often by not actually visiting the location, just claim no one home & calling card left, then some days later you will get the parcel returned.

Message 12 of 40
Latest reply

Agree with davewil1964

As long as there is no depot near buyer's home for pickup, couriers will never suppress AP.

Unless they are willing to attempt for re-deliveries with free of charge; like in U.S and China.

The only courier I know that can leave parcel at post office, was AAE (Australian Air Axpress), which has been merged by StarTrack.

Now StarTrack is offering the same service I believe, not sure about their rate though.

Message 13 of 40
Latest reply

I work for a company that uses Fastway for delivery, their drivers seem to be playing tricks often by not actually visiting the location, just claim no one home & calling card left, then some days later you will get the parcel returned.

IMO comments about service that are no different to many about AP, except maybe the rate ??

Message 14 of 40
Latest reply

Agree with davewil1964

As long as there is no depot near buyer's home for pickup, couriers will never suppress AP.

Think there is a few large companies at the moment looking at their options, including pick up from news-agency etc

If a company can get more than 50% - 60%  national spread, including the west, and offer at comparable prices with improved service, then watch out AP, then we will have some competition.  

I am behind the entrepreneur enterprise - not the complacent, arrogant company that promotes travel packages and services on social media, over and above explaining the recent, confused changes to its service, nor consults with its customer base adequatley to improve its postal services and offerings.

.   .  

Message 15 of 40
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

For all the warts AP might supposedly have (if we only want to focus on the negative) and all the talk of 'other' couriers, I still think for me AP will be the one-stop-shop. To somehow counteract the price increases I will just have to work smarter re packaging methods and services used - and buy bulk products - to reduce some costs.

Message 16 of 40
Latest reply

Sorry but the part where you say this about Fastway drivers.

"their drivers seem to be playing tricks often by not actually visiting the location, just claim no one home & calling card left"

If they have left a calling card. They must have been to the location.

And I cant see them lying about it.

These guys are Franchisee owners , if they upset customers.

They only hurt themselves. I think in general they will do the best they can.

I am going to give Fastway a go for some things down the East coast. I will be interested to see how they go.

I think sometimes we need to try some things for ourselves.

Message 17 of 40
Latest reply

I have been using Fastway this week, and am keeping an eye on the tracking to make sure it is suitable. I am north Brisbane, and my satchels are getting delivered to Sydney in 2 business days. The tracking has been fantastic, even an online signature when delivered. Tracking shows picked up, in transit between 2 places etc. They even sorted one parcel incorrectly, and showed an apology on the online tracking to say that it was misdirected (at least they were honest). It still got delivered overnight to Gold Coast. The local parcel is a great price, which for me is everywhere in Brisbane.

Message 18 of 40
Latest reply

travelling_agoraphobic
Community Member

We have used Fastway for 6+ years and have always been very happy with their service. A lot depends on the individual courier as their system is area-franchisee based. We had one terrible franchisee who picked up from our area (and left parcels in his van over the weekend on at least 2 occasions that we know of) but he lost his franchise after numerous complaints. We have a great working relationship with our current franchisee.

Delivery is generally faster than AP (overnight between ADL and Melbourne and a lot of Sydney), their tracking is better and it's much easier to get a response and a quick resolution for (rare) problems. Much easier than dealing with AP. The limiting factor for us is that they don't deliver to PO box addresses, so we're looking into AAe and also Toll, who apparently will be delivering to newsagents soon.

Message 19 of 40
Latest reply

I have also had very bad experience with Fastway.  They told me when they will deliver and I made sure that not only I am at home but most of the day in the front rooms of the house (with big windows giving me very clear view of our very quiet street).    I have second bell installed in the back of the house, which I can hear all the way back in my garden, but I cannot not walk very fast, therefore I need to stay close to the front if I am expecting something.

They did not come.  When I rang next morning, I was told that the driver 'attempted delivery & left card'.  There was no card left, when I told that to the operator they accused me of lying, then said it may have blown away as the driver left it stuck on my security door - my front door is 2m into very sheltered  entrance........... I could go on.  Then they promised to deliver later that afternoon = 1/2 day being again confined to the front half of the house, just to make sure there is no way I miss them   They did not come.  Arrived first thing next morning, and was extremely rude.

There is no way I will buy something if it is to be delivered with Fastway.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 20 of 40
Latest reply