Can anyone suggest better cheaper parcel post services than Australia Post?

Hi everyone, both eBay and Australia Post are increasing their charging, and even paypal!!!  How are we as online sellers survive during this not so good economic? 

Does anyone know a better cheaper service for parcel posting?  Either up 500g or over would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

The problem is there is no serious competition for Aus Post. I don't know if couriers deliver light parcels or how much they charge for them but I can't imagine them charging less.

TCT
Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

There are actually quite a few,  check out Office works, they have a delivery service, and perfect if you are close to one of their receiving locations,  Smartsend, they actually pick up and deliver door to door, plus offer a good discount to ebay sellers,  there is also e-go, they are good, but better again if you can drop off at one of their many depots,  there are others that offer competitive services, 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

The only increase in Paypal fees I'm aware of is the extra couple of cents for the higher postage prices when they process a sale.

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

I have spoken to Fastway, they have good prices and a 1kg and 3kg satchel.

The 1kg satchel is pretty small 190mm x 260mm, but will work for me for many things.

They are about $6.11. This I believe is insured as well.
The 3kg satchel is a bit bigger and is $9.49.

Probably only works for me down the East coast.

From where I am in Port Douglas down to Melb and perhaps Adelaide.

I will not use for WA and they do not deliver to the central parts of Aus.

So they will work for a lot of things but perhaps not everything.

Will just be happy when I am no longer totally reliant on the price gouging Australia Post.

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

I would still be wary about delivery, though. What are the carrier's policies. If the recipient isn't home and doesn't have a safe drop point? Do they confirm delivery attempts? Do they have convenient depots if the buyer has to collect?

No point saving a few bucks on postage and alienating buyers who have to go out of their way to collect their goods.

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

From a buyers point of view Fastway is an absolute disaster.  I had 2 sellers in Queensland use them and each parcel took in excess of 10 days to get to me, I had to chase them up for redelivery even though I was home on both occasions.  I was able to authorise a safe drop over the phone with specific instructions as to where to leave the parcel...they left it on the doorstep in full view of the street and in the blazing hot sun.

Although they were good sellers I have never returned to them because of Fastway.

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

bit harsh lyndal.... Aust Post couriers are just as notorious for where they leave parcels as well.

Some of my parcels are regularly left hanging out of on the edge of a very busy street letterbox - with more of the parcel out than in.

When I have teed up redelivery times with Fastway and other courier services, never had a problem, indeed many times I have got speak to courier directly - unlike Australia Post, where there is no second chance for delivery.

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Why is it harsh?  Just telling it like I find it.

And do you mean AP Couriers or AP Contractors?  They are two very different services.

My AP Contractor has been delivering to me for nearly 8 years now and has been leaving my parcels in a weatherproof container at the side of the house out of sight of the street.

My postman of nearly 2 years will also put items in the same container if they are too large for the postbox...does not happen very often though as most of the larger things come with the contractor anyway.

I get a number of magazine subscriptions too and quite often the postie will bring them up to the door and ring the bell.

I can not remember having anything delivered by AP Couriers but do know that if they cannot deliver something they will leave it at the PO and leave a card....they do not return things to base as most couriers do.

I gave my opinion of Fastway based on experience.....if I had quoted what is said about them in the courier industry then you might have reason to say I was being harsh.

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

Thank you for the information, hopefully I can find a better one to replace Australia Post soon, it's time to bring in some competition to warn Aust Post stop being greedy!!

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply