Can you wait a week (or more) to post an item?

A customer purchased an item, I paid for postage (via myPost business) and packaged up the order, then the customer advised that they don't want it posted just yet as they won't be home to receive it. They have asked for me to hold onto the parcel, wait a week, and then post it.

Does Australia Post have a time limit to lodge a parcel after paying for postage online?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Can you wait a week (or more) to post an item?

Agree to your Buyers request to post late and explain the ramifications to you regarding late delivery.

Just ask them to tick the box saying arrived on time.

I had 2  such requests prior to Christmas where the Buyer would be away until New Year. I explained as above and they were both very happy to do that.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@pancaket52 wrote:

Agree to your Buyers request to post late and explain the ramifications to you regarding late delivery.

Just ask them to tick the box saying arrived on time.

I had 2  such requests prior to Christmas where the Buyer would be away until New Year. I explained as above and they were both very happy to do that.

As previously noted, if it is a tracked parcel (which MyPost certainly is) the buyer doesn't get asked the question. eBay automatically 'grant' a defect if the parcel is lodged outside of the seller's handling time.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

Just post it later, then send the buyer a message with the tracking number rather than entering it into the Ebay system.

Then, as already mentioned, ask the buyer to tick the box (or leave it blank).

If there is a dispute later, you can always supply the tracking number to Ebay then.
Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

If MyPost is the same as the Click & Send it replaced, and the OP has it set up to import eBay data, then the tracking number will already have been uploaded to the eBay transaction.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

OK thanks, we've never used it & didn't realise it was linked to Ebay.
Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Yes I had a customer ask me to wait 3 weeks because she would be away on holidays.

I told her I would have to mark it then as posted which she was fine with.

But when I put in the tracking number when I was instructed to post it I received a postage late defect.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Yes, the same thing happened to us.

That's why we suggested just marking the item as sent, & letting the buyer know the tracking number in a separate message.
Message 17 of 17
Latest reply