Changes to Email Address Visibility on eBay

"To protect all our customers’ privacy and combat spam and phishing attacks, we’ll show most buyers and sellers an alias email address for each other on eBay orders. This is a global change that will apply to a majority of eBay’s sites. Starting in mid-September, you’ll still be able to send messages to your buyers both directly and via eBay, but instead of their actual email address, you’ll see an alias email address. Your email address will also be shown as an alias address to your buyers. "

Does that mean we have no access to the buyer's email address?

As a seller, I need to enter email address in courier's system, so buyers can receive delivery notification such as if the parcel is onboard to be delivered today, if the parcel is at the collection centre to be picked up or the parcel has been left at the premises. 

If I can't get the email, how can they be notified? 

I need some clarification please.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Changes to Email Address Visibility on eBay

@lyndal1838 wrote:

If the buyer opened another ID by changing the 15 to 16 they would still need a new email address to do so.

Only if they change their ID do they use the same email address and as far as I am aware the system cross references the old and new IDs and blocks both.....at least it used to be that way.

I was always of the belief that it wasn't dynamic (in that it wouldn't cross reference) but you might be right.

In the past I have had problems where buyers whom I'd blocked were able to buy from me again by (apparently) changing only their ID. Incidentally, eBay told me I had to sell them the items, despite me being able to prove that I had blocked them ... so at the end of the day, the block feature is more or less worthless anyway.

Message 21 of 28
Latest reply

If username abc123 changed their ID to abc321, it would update it in your blocked bidder list. It's always been that way since I discovered the BBL years ago. If it's been a long time since you've been in your BBL, you might find some say "deleted@745783hrghejbf" because eBay have removed them from the system.

Even if it didn't update with the new ID, blocking by email is only going to block that ID. If the blocked buyer creates a new account, then they must use a new email address, so can still buy, which has already been mentioned, and as you should already know as you have multiple accounts. 

Message 22 of 28
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

If username abc123 changed their ID to abc321, it would update it in your blocked bidder list. It's always been that way since I discovered the BBL years ago. If it's been a long time since you've been in your BBL, you might find some say "deleted@745783hrghejbf" because eBay have removed them from the system.

Even if it didn't update with the new ID, blocking by email is only going to block that ID. If the blocked buyer creates a new account, then they must use a new email address, so can still buy, which has already been mentioned, and as you should already know as you have multiple accounts. 

This hasn't always been my experience, and we all know that this site is wildly inconsistent, but I'm not here to argue.

As I said, it's worthless anyway, because if someone circumvents your block, eBay tells you to sell to them anyway.

Message 23 of 28
Latest reply

I just found out from today, all emails aren't showing anymore.

I did a test by sending a test email to the alias email address from a normal email address. the eBay user doens't get the msg.

So how is it going to work for the courier notifications? I know they can find the tracking number in their order. But they don't usually check it. 

The Fastway and Australia post email notification works really well for my customers at least. They receive the  email, and know when to expect it. Or it's been left at the property somewhere. I only have to deal with 1-2 missing parcels a year in average.

That is my concern. I don't use the email to do any direct selling anyway.

Message 24 of 28
Latest reply

I can still see my buyer's email address on the sales record page.

Message 25 of 28
Latest reply

are you on eBay Plus?

Message 26 of 28
Latest reply

@joshbower wrote:

I can still see my buyer's email address on the sales record page.

So can we at the moment.

We're on Managed Payments so wonder how much longer it will be there.

Message 27 of 28
Latest reply

They get out for delivery and postal updates without logging into eBay - when email is added. Extra layer of Service customers liked.... this Sucks!!!
Message 28 of 28
Latest reply