Damaged item returned

taau799
Community Member

Hi what happen if the buyer returne me the goods that  is not in the condition I send them? Like I send them a brand new S9 and they send back broken one? Or a different miner with similar looking? Anyone know? 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Damaged item returned

Can you prove, by way of a serial number, that the returned item has been substituted? That will help your case. I would imagine an item as such what you sold would have a serial number. In future I would take pics of the serial number.

as others have said, unless you can actually prove the buyer substituted the item, or prove the item wasn't damaged prior to posting, eBay will most likely side with the buyer.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@taau799wrote:

Hi what happen if the buyer returne me the goods that  is not in the condition I send them? Like I send them a brand new S9 and they send back broken one? Or a different miner with similar looking? Anyone know? 

unfortunately, eBay will not intervene in any situation where a buyer substitutes their broken item for one bought from a seller.  They will say that they have no way of knowing that the buyer substituted a faulty item for a good one.  

The buyer will get their money back if they open a dispute.  For a phone, you should insist on it being returned, even if it costs you return postage.  The reason is that if the buyer returns a different phone it is easy to prove, which would give you more avenues than just eBay to seek redress.

If you have some way of knowing the IMEI number for the phone you sold you could compare that with the IMEI number for the returned phone.  If the IMEI number differs from the one you sold you can report the buyer to the police, you can report the buyer to ACORN.  For substituted phones the buyer may not realise that IMEI numbers reveal a lot about a phone’s history.

NOTE FOR ANYONE SELLING A MOBILE PHONE:  include a photo that shows the IMEI number in your listing.  This will help you if you are scammed by a buyer returning a damaged phone and perpetrating a substitution scam.

Seller was not selling an S9 phone.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Is that a hypothetical question or a problem you have had?

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

$3,200 is a lot of money to lose.  I think K1000 is right.

Ebay will say they can't be sure that's what happened and the buyer will win.  Sorry.

But, it's worth a try. 

I would report them to ACORN though, for cyber theft.

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

bear, OP sold two S9 bitcoin ‘miners’.  I made the mistake of posting before looking at sold items.  I just assumed the S9 they were posting about was a recently released Samsung S9 smartphone.

I thought the word ‘miner’ in the OP was the word ‘niner’.  Being ‘miner’ makes sense once you look at sold listings.

Spoiler
Shoulda gone to specsavers.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Ditto here, exactly what I thought and was just coming to say, Doh' bear

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

hopefully the items had serial numbers that can be compared to the returned item if a substitution takes place.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I am worry this will be the case, this guy he purchased from me and trying to sell for other for higher price but his transaction fall off and he opened a case on me claiming it is not the same item on advertising. This scammer made me fell so bad and I lost my money to ebay after the sold too. If it would come back broken, I have no way to prove it? I took picture of the box that I send to him which come straight from bitmain. Never selling on ebay ever again. 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Can you prove, by way of a serial number, that the returned item has been substituted? That will help your case. I would imagine an item as such what you sold would have a serial number. In future I would take pics of the serial number.

as others have said, unless you can actually prove the buyer substituted the item, or prove the item wasn't damaged prior to posting, eBay will most likely side with the buyer.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

one of the pitfalls of selling on ebay

only the seller 'knows' what was 'in the box' handed to the postman

only the buyer 'knows' what was 'in the box' when delivered.

either one could substitute the item, unless the seller wraps the item in the post office whilst being watched by the postman and the postman is willing to swear he watched the correct item being wrapped and handed to him i suppose.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply