Does saying in title 'Free Shipping' increase the amount that people look(and buy,) the item?

fmun59
Community Member

I'm thinking of adding this to all my listings because wouldn't more buyers be attracted to buying the listing more then? (Just to ask should I add it if nationally I shep for free but if I do international shipping that can't be an option so should I add it then?)

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Does saying in title 'Free Shipping' increase the amount that people look(and buy,) the item?

After reading sons n daughters & stawka's posts, I had a look for myself at that ad.

Fmun59, I had the impression you were after some advice in order to increase your views & possible sales.

I know this isn't about the 'free postage' enquiry, but the above boardies are 100% right.

Nothing enrages a buyer more (and I am a buyer) than to buy from a listing where the description is not accurate. Your photos are good, your description as such is okay, but the 'item specific' section is complete hash.

You absolutely cannot list something as brand new, unused and unworn when that isn't the case. Not unless you want to make a buyer totally livid. I know this for a fact as I was recently in a similar position where I received something listed like that and it wasn't. At least your photos are accurate though. In my case, it was enough to trigger a neg from me, which isn't something I have done in years. You are at high risk of the same happening unless you change your item specifics.

Back to your shoes. I don't think 10 wears showcases 'enduring quality' in any shoe. My grandson had $8 Kmart school shoes that lasted 3 terms till he grew out of them. Their sole looks as good as new. Plus as stawka says, you have a close up photo for the original price at $530.

So that shoe ad at least needs a bit of a spruce up.

As for putting 'free postage' in the title. It depends on what you are selling. Yes, sometimes it can be a drawcard in that the buyer knows then that the price they see is the total price they will be up for. They don't have to take the extra step of adding any numbers in their head. So it is more straight forward.

But you risk shortening the details you can fit into the title. For example, in the shoe ad, you have

Gucci - Laceup Black Black Shoes - Eu Size 43 - 1 Minor Scratch

That's pretty good. It lists the brand, colour, size & fact it has a defect, all in one spot.

You could shorten it to Gucci laceup black shoes Eu 43, 1 minor scratch. Free post, but in this case, I don't know that at that price point, the postage is the main factor.

Most buyers when they look at your ads, will look at the postage section costs anyway even if free post isn't in the title.

So all in all, I don't know that it makes a huge difference to have it in the title.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Free shipping does not really exist of course, so smart buyers will know. It is useful when there is a code (for example 10% off), and the conditions of such code exclude postage, so you get more discount.

If a buyer wants to buy multiple items, it is not convenient, as the postage cost included in the cost of the item is basically added multiple times to their cart (and "request total" is greyed out because eBay thinks what more do you want, shipping is already free), while with normal postage buyers can request combined postage (sometimes this is a problem too, but it is a different story).

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Why ask this - when your items are already ' Free Shipping '. ??

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

I also think you are in for a world of trouble  with - ' Like New '.

This describes the new case - not the condition of the contents.

Careful.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

There is no such thing as free shipping

It would put me off more than anything else if a listing was trying to trick people into thinking otherwise 

(Most people are smart enough to know that 'free shipping' just means what would have been postage, simply means the postage price has been added onto the price of the actual item itself)

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

I'm disconsolate that The Beatles' genre apparently is 'oldies'    ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Why would you want to waist your heading space.

Buyers can already filter their searches by free post, ebay plus,  if they choose, which is triggered by listing postage settings.  So why double up, when I am sure you could think of something else to add to the headings

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

I'd have thought Glen Miller. lol

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Or Al Jolson

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

I'd be more concerned that you're advertising "new" shoes, yet you state they have been worn less than 10 times. If they have been worn ONCE, they are now "used" not new with defects. You could be in for a real shock if someone is silly enough to buy them. You could very easily lose both the shoes, and the money, should the buyer pick up that they are used, not new. If that happens, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply