Ebay claims a valid tracking number is invalid???

A buyer opened an item not received case. Ebay gives me three options of how to respond, the first one being to add a tracking number. I had already added a tracking number after posting the item. When I try to add the number as a response option, ebay is telling me the number is invalid and I cannot submit it. However, the number is very valid indeed, even Australia Post recognises it (but hasn’t delivered the item as yet and might have lost it). So what is ebay’s problem? The usual scenario would be for ebay to refund the buyer (with my money) if I cannot provide proof of posting the item, but what do I do if ebay does not let me submit the proof that I have? And why does their system not pick up that the auction in question already has a valid and correct tracking number attached to it?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Ebay claims a valid tracking number is invalid???

Your best bet is to talk to eBay by "live chat" at the bottom of the link below to try and sort this problem out :-

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/manage-returns-missing-items-refunds-s...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Maybe try uploading a screenshot of the tracking

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I recently had a similar situation - buyer opened a INR case, I checked the AP website (which she obviously had NOT done) to find a message that delivery was delayed. I sent her a screenshot of this and asked her to wait a couple more days (it was only about 2 days overdue). Of course, the next day the parcel was delivered, and because I had requested to be notified of any movement of the parcel (on the AP website), I knew delivery had taken place.

I had to request the buyer to close the INR case (not sure she would have if I hadn't asked), then she had the cheek to put in her feedback that my postage was slow. Note that I posted in the afternoon after she had paid at around 10pm the previous night.

So my advice - check the AP website --  enter the tracking number and you may find out what has happened to the parcel.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@egglesdtp wrote:

I recently had a similar situation - buyer opened a INR case, I checked the AP website (which she obviously had NOT done) to find a message that delivery was delayed. I sent her a screenshot of this and asked her to wait a couple more days (it was only about 2 days overdue). Of course, the next day the parcel was delivered, and because I had requested to be notified of any movement of the parcel (on the AP website), I knew delivery had taken place.

I had to request the buyer to close the INR case (not sure she would have if I hadn't asked), then she had the cheek to put in her feedback that my postage was slow. Note that I posted in the afternoon after she had paid at around 10pm the previous night.

So my advice - check the AP website --  enter the tracking number and you may find out what has happened to the parcel.

Any buyer who left feedback saying my postage was slow during a pandemic would get a feedback reply stating when they paid, when I posted (always next day), and a reminder that we're in the midst of a pandemic. And then they'd be blocked.

People can be absolutely ridiculous. I've had buyers pay on Sundays and after hours message me telling me to "please post today". I'm not sure which alternate reality these people live in, but obviously it includes 24/7 post offices.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

A buyer behaving in that way embarrasses us all. There is no better word for it than

ridiculous.

Of my recent online purchases (and I've been buying more online lately, as my priority is avoiding subterranean COVID-19 floating around in asymptomatic people, unthinking people, cornflake lawyers, "Independence Day"ers, and flat-out "I want to make a statement out of my ignoring the health advice"ers), about 90% have been delayed.

However, I am not astonished by this. I'm certainly not blaming sellers. I don't even blame Australia Post or couriers for delayed deliveries at this time. (I say "even" because AP, for instance, have improved their response in these chaotic times tremendously, and they deserve praise for having changed, adapted, and improved.) In the words of Lauren Cooper, I ain't bovvered.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Similar thing happened to me, buyer opened item not delivered case. The parcel was stopped by customs as it was a plant. I was given the option to give tracking number (I already had) and in ap app it even had customs as the last stop and then nothing. Not only was I forced to give her her money back, but she gave me negative feedback. I got the feedback removed and left deserving feedback for her
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Deserving?

Given a buyer can only get positive, you have not done anybody any favours. Just given the buyer an opportunity to report you for a false positive.

If Customs stopped the plant, where was Customs? Why are you selling plants internationally? Surely they would be dead before they arrived, anyway.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks, I would have talked to them eventually, although I hate the chats, as they are taking up too much of my time. However, Australia Post admitted that they lost my package and refunded me, so that I, in turn, could refund the buyer.

But it still does not explain why I could not attach a tracking number to the INR case nor why eBay did not register that there was a tracking number attached to the auction. If their system worked properly, the buyer should not have been allowed to open a case with the response options given. It also makes me wonder what would have happened if AP had not refunded me, or not the full amount, since the AP refund ceiling is $100 unless you buy additional insurance.

Incidentally, it happens to me quite regularly that tracking shows "in transit" and when I check with the buyer they have already received the goods. If the buyer were dishonest, Australia Post would have to process a lot of refunds.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

The situation with Ebay is getting ridiculous. Who the hell do they think they are... I've just received an email saying 67% of my tracking nos are invalid................Their stupid bullying has to stop. I try to obey all the conditions etc. ...Just too complicated now and am scaling down to say goodbye and good riddance.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply