Ebay delivery guarantee launch

Just noticed the new "Ebay guanrateed delivery" offer banner at the top of my Seller overview page.

Will never opt in for such a scheme.

If the PO can't guarantee delivery within 2 days, why should I?

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay delivery guarantee launch

Oh dear!!  I Can remember the PMG.

Shoot me 😞

Melina.

Message 31 of 39
Latest reply

Yes I can recall the PMG too.
I just looked it up and it was dissolved in 1975 becoming two separate entities dealing with communications and mail.
I couldn't remember what year it changed tho. Wow! That long ago.
Message 32 of 39
Latest reply

@davewil1964wrote:

Maybe the government should sell the courier part of AP off

That wouldn't help the people who don't live in major Metro areas get parcels, as the eBay Post courier would be like all the other couriers and only service the profitable routes. But they'd still get their letters.

Oh Gawd....don't even think about selling the AP courier division (StarTrack)....and certainly not to eBay.

The drivers have worked as AaE, now StarTrack.....eBay Post would be the last straw.  If eBay had any input into the driver's contracts I can just imagine how many drivers would be walking out the door.  Couriers would not be pushed around like ebay sellers are!

And somehow I can't see Australian Federal government and State government departments continuing their contracts with ebay post,Smiley LOL

Message 33 of 39
Latest reply

With regards to the duplicate listings issue, I think it's easy for some sellers to get around this. For the guaranteed delivery listing, obviously you would charge accordingly to include Express post, and to make the listing a little different, just include an insignificant extra item in the listing, like a 1 page quick guide to usage of the product or a page of links to youtube and other sites on helpful handy hints on usage or a catalogue, etc. It's too easy to add something to the listing and you could charge an extra 20-50cents for the extra work, ie if Express post is an extra $4.00, charge $4.50. my personal feeling is that guaranteed delivery is certainly acheivable and I am looking at listing a handful of items as a trial.
Message 34 of 39
Latest reply

lol, Aus post cant even get a letter from here in Wollongong to western Sydney in 3 days. Took em 4 days for a registered letter

last year. Can drive there in 2 hours.

Now the guaranteed delivery thing, Will have some sort of penalty on the seller no doubt if it doesnt get delivered.

Now theres a big if and what, bad address, not home, rain, breakdown etc. Distance, remoteness.

Gotta b kidding this idea.

We already have the feedback ratings and shipping estimates etc.

Message 35 of 39
Latest reply

Seriously, AP I think, in the main, do a pretty good job.

We're fortunate in that we have a close relationship here, for a number of reasons, and also have a friend who is a bike riding Postie and delivers local mail.

This doesn't mean we know more than anyone else about processes, indeed we've had to ask advice here once or twice, but what we are privy to is just some of the 'internal' issues with the system, trusted human resources and sub contractors  being The big two. I can't discuss it here, but I'm sure you can imagine the issues when you employ thousands of people, directly, or as subbies, from all walks of life. Herein, I think, lies their biggest issues - and it just takes one cog in the wheel to 'break down' for whatever reason.

For eBay to even think of 'guaranteed' postage without intimate knowledge of the inner workings of someone like AP, is not just ridiculous, I think it's ill thought, presumptive, very careless and even arrogant.

But, I guess we're all going to find out, soon enough.

Organisations who make big blunders, and most do from time to time, who refuse to acknowledge them as such, but more importantly refuse to remedy them, usually pay a substantial price long term. I see that happening with this and other ill thought and badly implemented policy.

Melina.

Message 36 of 39
Latest reply

@clubesquirewrote:

This doesn't mean we know more than anyone else about processes, indeed we've had to ask advice here once or twice, but what we are privy to is just some of the 'internal' issues with the system, trusted human resources and sub contractors  being The big two. I can't discuss it here, but I'm sure you can imagine the issues when you employ thousands of people, directly, or as subbies, from all walks of life. Herein, I think, lies their biggest issues - and it just takes one cog in the wheel to 'break down' for whatever reason.

Why should Australia post have any more issues than any other large company that has a mix of employees and sub contractors from all walks of life?

No matter whether they are employees or sub contractors they are all still answerable to their supervisors, who in turn get their orders from the big bosses.....and some of their decisions are highly questionable.

Message 37 of 39
Latest reply

Good morning Lyndal,

"Why should Australia post have any more issues than any other large company that has a mix of employees and sub contractors from all walks of life?"

The question feeds into the latter part of your post, which I agree with. AP is wholly owned by Govco (this is a bad start) and is trying to compete, under very restrictive legislation applying to itself, with some very dynamic and high tech, service oriented private companies. I don't think there would be too many that would disagree with the thought that AP is ill managed and that resource allocation is poorly delivered.

For quite a few years now there has been high tension and a lot of animosity between management and staff, well above what you would ordinarily expect and vastly exceeding all industry benchmarks and values. And I guess it's little wonder when disgruntled employees are looking for a measly $20 per week pay rise and they see a few years back, when AP made a rare operating profit of 40mil, or something like that, and over half of it was written down to employment packages for just 6 executives.

So, there is a lot of unrest. This is just an example of much more including a certain culture of serfdom when it comes to the treatment of staff by executives. This unrest plays into the ability of AP to be truly productive and efficient with their processes.

We then toss into the mix, with all the ineptitudes we've become so accustomed to with Govco managed agencies of utilities, a highly unionised workforce, at big odds (combative) with management, and the work environment becomes putrid and cooperation through all levels breaks down. This is something, in my experience, that just doesn't happen in private enterprise, at least nowhere to the extent as within AP.

Many employees, especially the severely disgruntled do all that they can to throw a spanner in the works and there are many cases of very deliberate sabotage. We do read about some, just some in the newspapers. That's about as far as I can go here. The whole environment is toxic and not dissimilar to the worst of the worst, that being Qld Health.

As I said before, this is just the tip of the iceberg. But when you consider this very brief background, with the knowledge that AP has about 20,000 vehicles on the road and employs up to 50,000 people, I'm sure you can see the differences between it and most other companies, not Govco owned. Take into account too that Govco being the employee, employees indeed are from all walks of life and different ethnic backgrounds. Many do not speak good English, are not well educated and do not have a good work ethic. They also soon become encapsulated within the influence of serial agitators and unless they, all AP employees for that matter, are busted for something fairly serious - stealing as a servant etc., they remain within the system as just another piece of conditioned and disgruntled dead wood. Things are very unhappy just now, in what should be booming times, with  AP projecting massive operating losses and 'leaking' information to the affect that it will be shedding a further 2,000 jobs. Who really knows. This could also have something to do with AP's current push to franchise as much of its operation considered feasible to do so.

Private enterprise (read other companies) simply does not have, or more correctly will not entertain similar issues and they are driven to make a profit. They do not have the comfort and surety of the public purse.

Answerability? Lyndal, I think we all know what that looks like with any Govco utility. And, they do bow to unions, not so much with wage demands, but certainly with conditions and privileges.

Theres an old saying, 'sack half and make the other half work' and I'm nit suggesting thus is the case with AP, but it may apply in some measure. I mention it though because that was the statement made by a Toll executive a little while back when speaking publicly about AP. he almost caused a riotous walk-out in his own unionised yard, but he did manage to hold his job.

I probably went 'the long way around' but the reasons I've given, and just some brief uncomplicated knew, are why AP is quite distinctly different to most other companies. There are many other reasons, all quite convaluted and not for here.

Melina.

Message 38 of 39
Latest reply

Sorry about spelling and grammar. In a bit of rush this morning - to have a day off - yippeeeeee!!

Message 39 of 39
Latest reply