Ebay just refunded a buyer in New York $280 for a watch I sold with tracking never rec so he says

I believe this buyer has just scammed me and ebay of course favours the buyers when I look at the tracking number states item awaiting del scan if so why refund him and what happens when item turns up that's if he doesn't already have the item he has watch & money back he lied when he stated he rang post office a few times then said later he went there 3 times I am totally disgusted with ebay will cancel all my adds today I find it a waste of time the last 2 years 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Ebay just refunded a buyer in New York $280 for a watch I sold with tracking never rec so he say

If it's not delivered and was sent registered, quickly contact the postal service and see if you can have it redirected.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Re: Ebay just refunded a buyer in New York $280 for a watch I sold with tracking never rec so he say

It may have been delivered and not scanned. Just a thought. Definitely follow up through the postal system. Time is your enemy with regard to posties remembering deliveries

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Yep, delivered to his front door and never scanned by the courier.  Very common opportunity for buyers to take advantage of this mistake and at your expense.  That buyer knew the ropes.

The 'joys' of selling internationally... stopped that years ago, not worth the effort or grief.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay will tell you it's up to you to get the money back from the buyer. So much for Seller protection!

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

At nearly $300, did you take out insurance? If not, why not? It's quite possible that the buyer has received it, but sadly, you can't prove it.

I posted an item a few years ago, took out insurance, assumed the buyer received it because I never heard from them, it wasn't marked as delivered, so I claimed on the insurance. Do I feel guilty? No. They should have done their job properly.

To be honest, I started the claim when it wasn't marked as delivered, in case it hadn't been delivered and it would speed the process up to refund the buyer.

In future, anything over $100, or less if you wish, take out insurance. It's worth it to stop this happening again.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for input mate I live in Australia cant get in touch with the Queens Village post office in the US ebay not very helpful I believe this member has probably done this before I have sold over 3000 items never lost one until now am not a racist but the only problems I have had on eBay have been dealings with Asians when I saw his name I had misgivings then which turned out to be right I believe I asked for a signature when posted must contact eBay again 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

You don't go direct to the USPS......go through Australia Post.   Only they can contact the USPS and follow up on the whereabouts of the item.  If you asked (and paid) for a signature on delivery then you should get it.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Your $280 watch and postage is a hefty loss.  Like a retail shop, factor this loss akin to shop lifting.  Your chances of payment are slim to zero.  The liklihood of these 'transactions' increase with international selling and you need to consider this in your risk management.

When eBay moves to their new payment platform, they will take away the ability for PayPal as intermediatary for warranty and this can by a good and a bad thing depending on whether you are the buyer or seller.

It is good you are sharing your story as it helps other sellers avoid some pitfalls in the selling process.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Have you tried www.parcelmonitor.com

Gives loads more tracking events and times when sending your parcels off to any country worldwide.

This site will give you much more in depth tracking events and times possibly than the USPS,  of your parcels journey to the destination.

Having more tracking events and more information,  can be handy in unfoiling those 'oppurtuntistic dishonest little cretins' 

and there false claims.

I'm a seller too under my indivudual selling account,  and have had this scenario happen to me countless amounts of times.

It's just toally demoralizing for someone to gain your property/finances  by deception.

When you have taken care in packing the item, going over the item to make sure it's fit to send off, and then sending it off promptly.

All the best with this situation.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply