Ebay shipping Final Value fees are a rip off

I just sold some shoes for 99cents.

I had postage as $14 because this is what it will cost to send them as they are heavy.

Ebay have charged me $1.39 for shipping fees, ..10 cent final value fee on the sale of the shoes & then off couse add in paypal fees of .66cents.

This leaves me out of pocket $1.16, yes its only a small amount, but how can ebay be allwoed to do this.

They say its to keep post costs down, but it costs what it costs. Aust Post pacel cost have at leat doubled our 5 years.

I accept that my item only sold for .99 cents. It the fact that they take so many fees out, that leave me out of pocket.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

J

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Is there anything you can do?

Yes. Either increase your starting price or your postage price to ensure you have covered all eBay fees.

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

yep..do what i did..No more listings...

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Precisely why I would never list anything at 99c start bid unless it was able to be sent as a letter, bidding wars are no longer a given on Ebay.  Be more realistic with your starting prices, obviously the shoes are worth more than that, even rubber thongs would be underpriced at 99c.  If you had listed them at $5 start bid, you probably still would have sold them and at least made a small profit.

This is why Ebay introduced FVF on shipping, (apart from the obvious money grab).  Too many people were listing at 99c with inflated postage costs (not saying yours was inflated) to avoid paying higher FVF.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Yes, it's unfortunatly one of the drawbacks of having an item up for Auction & starting at 99c. ( even though ebay do suggest it ) "Carp" in my opinion !! With Sales  plumeting across the board & Ebay's Fee structure it's no longer viable. Either start your Auctions higher, or Buy it now.  The only winner in that situation is ebay.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

If you use EBay's postage, it should only cost $11.70 for a 3kg satchel.
Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

@horizon1907 wrote:

The only winner in that situation is ebay.

And it's a win win win for eBay.

Not only are they getting paid a cut on shipping fees, they are also saving money by no longer having to pay their staff to investigate & police sellers over-charging on postage to avoid FVFs, plus through it they are getting what they want by 'encouraging' sellers to list (often dishonestly) with so-called 'free' postage by offering a 'top rated' carrot for free postage whilst removing any benefit to sellers that list with genuine postage costs.

It's ironic, eBay used to claim it was working hard to stamp out dishonesty/rorting/exploitation via postage charges, yet now they are the ones that are using & abusing it. Shame on you ebay.

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

and did they pay with paypal, thats about another 40c

Only start an auction with the lowest price you are happy with. If you get more its a bonus.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

there would NOT be one single ebay seller worldwide, that would agree with ebays policy in taking a slice from a sellers shipping costs...

ebay say they listen to people...are you listening now ebay?

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Hi Been buying for years overseas from same sellers,and now they wont post inernational,because of fees on postage. It doesnt make sencse,we pay fees for stuff we sell, how does postage fall into that category?? We dont keep the postage money,to pay the fees on it. someone should arrange a worldwide ebay selling STRIKE ?see if they dont change tht bull,greedy gits
Message 10 of 37
Latest reply