Ebay shipping Final Value fees are a rip off

I just sold some shoes for 99cents.

I had postage as $14 because this is what it will cost to send them as they are heavy.

Ebay have charged me $1.39 for shipping fees, ..10 cent final value fee on the sale of the shoes & then off couse add in paypal fees of .66cents.

This leaves me out of pocket $1.16, yes its only a small amount, but how can ebay be allwoed to do this.

They say its to keep post costs down, but it costs what it costs. Aust Post pacel cost have at leat doubled our 5 years.

I accept that my item only sold for .99 cents. It the fact that they take so many fees out, that leave me out of pocket.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

J

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

US sellers don't have to pay any fees on international postage, only domestic, so there's no point in their refusing to sell internationally as it's not costing them any extra, unlike Australians and those in the UK, who as usual are being ripped off to the max. Ebay are nothing more than a mob of greedy, money-grubbing tossers IMO, and I'm so over the lot of them.
Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

Yes, 

The thing to do is to have a Excel spreadsheet.

Assuming you are in the 40 free listings category and pay 9.9% final fees on fashion items

Fist column - cost of the product to get to your stock 

Second column - postage cost -$14

Sale price - $0.99

Ebay cost 9.9% - (0.99 +14)*0.099= $1.49

Paypal cost - $0.30 + 2.4% of total amount - 0.30 + (14.99*.024) = $0.66

In this case, you earned $0.99 and paid $2.15  in costs if the client paid with Paypal, which is a no brainer. 

How can you be succesful if you put something for sale and don't even calculate how much fees you are going to have to pay beforehand? 

If you had added a minimum price of $2.50, you would have paid $1.64 (ebay) + $0.68 (paypal) = $2.32 so $2.50 would be the minimum you could see it for, only to pay the costs, in case you already had the item or got it for free. Otherwise you also must add how much it costed you to to the cost and final price.

If you want to sell something and make a profit, be savy, learn about the real costs of things before you list it and this won'y happen again...

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

ok

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

I hear you. Same thing happened to me so I had a winge to eBay and they refunded

their shipping fee back to me. Whenever I complain about this sort of stuff to the ACCC

they don't want to know about it. They just write back,"if its eBay we doubt whether they

would be doing anything wrong." and that's it.

Blind Freddy could see that this is unfair and isn't that what the ACCC is all about?

customers (buyers and sellers of eBay) getting a fair go?

After you contact eBay to get you refund why don't you explain the whole story to the ACCC (as you can see you are

will not be the only person who has written to them (I'm sure I'm not the only one either), as if we keep

hounding them with eBay complaints they will eventually do something....

P.S. I have come again to this community just before I complain to eBay about a similiar problem as you....

people power!!!

Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

The eBay fee on shipping, I would imagine, was brought in when the decision to split eBay and PayPal into separate entities. Before when Paypal was owned by eBay, they got their cut of shipping fees from PayPal payments. Now that they no longer own PayPal they would be missing out on a multitude of fees from shopping, hence why they started charging FVFs on shipping.

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

Fair enough but most sellers starting out on here have got no real idea of sales but I dare say they do want to know. It's easier for people like us who have been doing Ebay since 2007 with a lifetime of experience to say this. So why should a newbie seller on eBay trying to do the right thing be allowed to be out of pocket by ebay (a multi-billion dollar company)? If I was the CEO of eBay morally I would be concerned about this and I would ensure that sellers like the OP could never be ripped off because that's not how I would want me business to be like. The system should be fool-proof (sorry OP I'm not saying you are a fool because I have made the same mistake many times too).

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

Yes, that is a good point (and I'm not attacking you... I am making a case out of the inexperienced seller) but if you are a one off seller (and if eBay say they only want long term sellers then they should ban one-off sellers from selling on here) then you probably don't have a printer or have run out of ink and cannot printout a label so you have to go buy it at the post office. No seller on eBay should ever be out of pocket (whether their fault or not) after going to all that trouble to get an item to a buyer all in the name of eBay. If you were an eBay shareholder you would have to be concerned with the way eBay handle these (and other) cases.

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

My brother had multiple ebay accounts (all with 100% pos fb by the way) and totally stopped selling on greedbay cause he does not agree that greedbay has any wrights to take fees from postage, its is totally wrong.

If everyone did the same , well what would greedbay do then?.... Twiddle their thumbs...?

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

@designers*n*more wrote:

The eBay fee on shipping, I would imagine, was brought in when the decision to split eBay and PayPal into separate entities. Before when Paypal was owned by eBay, they got their cut of shipping fees from PayPal payments. Now that they no longer own PayPal they would be missing out on a multitude of fees from shopping, hence why they started charging FVFs on shipping.

The fees in shipping came in long before the decision of the 2 companies to split. This thread started 13 months ago, fees on shipping came in 8 months prior to that. The reason eBay put fees on shipping was due to sellers selling an item that is worth $100 for 1c and $99.99 postage.

I don't pay any fees on what I sell. The buyer pays them all. Most just don't know it. I charge extra for postage (and have 5 stars for postage costs), I tack on extra to my auction start price so that I still make a tidy profit with enough left over to pay the fees. If I buy something for 90c, then it sells for $25+, then I have more than covered any fees and still get good profit.

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

You don't need to be worried about offending any of the people you are referring to as none of them have been here for ages, so are unlikely to read your comments.

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply