Ebay shipping Final Value fees are a rip off

I just sold some shoes for 99cents.

I had postage as $14 because this is what it will cost to send them as they are heavy.

Ebay have charged me $1.39 for shipping fees, ..10 cent final value fee on the sale of the shoes & then off couse add in paypal fees of .66cents.

This leaves me out of pocket $1.16, yes its only a small amount, but how can ebay be allwoed to do this.

They say its to keep post costs down, but it costs what it costs. Aust Post pacel cost have at leat doubled our 5 years.

I accept that my item only sold for .99 cents. It the fact that they take so many fees out, that leave me out of pocket.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

J

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Think of ebay as your enemy not your friend!  The only people who would list an auction start at .99c are people who want to build their feedback score in a hurry and can wear the cost.....or newbies.

And if the ACCC are not interested in pursuing ebay for this criminal fee grab on postage, the only option is for sellers to take a class action suit against ebay......any takers???

Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

@repoohsj52 wrote:

Think of ebay as your enemy not your friend!  The only people who would list an auction start at .99c are people who want to build their feedback score in a hurry and can wear the cost.....or newbies.

And if the ACCC are not interested in pursuing ebay for this criminal fee grab on postage, the only option is for sellers to take a class action suit against ebay......any takers???

If I had a dollar for every time someone has said that since it came in May LAST YEAR, I'd never have to work, nor sell on eBay again. I highly doubt you'll get any takers because while most of us don't like it, we have accepted that that's the way it is.

Good luck with your one man class action, I'll look forward to reading about it in the paper.......

Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@repoohsj52 wrote:

If I had a dollar for every time someone has said that since it came in May LAST YEAR, I'd never have to work, nor sell on eBay again. I highly doubt you'll get any takers because while most of us don't like it, we have accepted that that's the way it is.

Good luck with your one man class action, I'll look forward to reading about it in the paper.......

Especially given the ACCC AND Members of Parliament have adjudged it legal.

Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

I get what your saying Tippy, the shipping fees did come in well before the 2 companies split. But what I'm trying to say is, that the decision to split the 2 companies would have been made a long time before it actually took place! Before we were even told about it and it's at that point eBay brought in the fees on shipping once that decision was made, although we still were not informed of the decision. They wouldn't have just decided to split the companies on the spur of the moment so to speak, there would have been a lot of discussion/planning. It makes sense. eBay just sugar coat it by saying it's because of sellers who charge high shipping. When the 2 companies were together eBay was still getting their cut because PayPal charged fees on the total amount paid not just the item amount. 

Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

Yes there is somethibng you can do.

You can tell ebay it isn't good enough and then use one of the many much cheaper sites out there to sell your item.

Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

@cheetngetcortwrote:

Yes there is somethibng you can do.

You can tell ebay it isn't good enough and then use one of the many much cheaper sites out there to sell your item.

How helpful....you drag up a thread that is more than 3 years old to post useless information.

You may like to tell us where we can sell our items on a much cheaper site.   We all know we can list on cheaper sites, but that does not mean that items will sell.

Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

wathsala
Community Member

paying 16% from total value of 120.00 dollars they even charged fees for postage ,as fees, i have made a lost .. what a shame so i am  going  back to Gum tree, 

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

Don't slam the door on the way out.

If you havent priced your items considering all costs don't blame Ebay, 

PS.  This is a 6 year old thread

Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

@wathsala wrote:

paying 16% from total value of 120.00 dollars they even charged fees for postage ,as fees, i have made a lost .. what a shame so i am  going  back to Gum tree, 

how are you paying 16%?

The most you should be paying is 13.4% + 30cents.

Maybe you are under the impression that fees are now 13.4% eBay and 2.6% when a buyer pays with PayPal.  However, SELLERS DO NOT PAY A PAYPAL FEE WHEN A BUYER PAYS WITH PAYPAL (CAPS for emphasis and not shouting).

Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

Nah.     

You should have shouted.

Message 30 of 37
Latest reply