Fake - Rainbow Rose seeds

Warning dont buy the Rainbow Rose Seeds that a few sellers have. The are fake, dont waste your money.

For one thing hybrid Roses will not come true from seed. Thats how we get new colours in Roses. If you grow any Roses from seeds (except species) you could have any colour and even poor quality plant and flower.

The Rainbow Rose, you will see the flower on the seller page, is multi-coloured. The reason its done by splitting the stem and placing in water with dye.

Search the interent and will see a number of articles about the Rainbow Rose. I wish E-bay would act and delete these listings. I have a sent number of warning to E-bay over a week ago but so far no action on their side.

Be warned buyers, there are fake item on E-bay.

Message 1 of 75
Latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

person would 'ave to be low in intellect to fall for that scam.   lol.

fairly sure that some florists use the same technique, to get the brown rose effect

for weddin' bouquets. 

Message 2 of 75
Latest reply

I agree.

But recent sale, 16 bids for 50 Rainbow Rose seeds went for $13.50 US.

The buyer will get a big suprise in a year or two, once they flower. Maybe the seller by then will make their money and disappear?

Message 3 of 75
Latest reply

Thanks for that, I did wonder how they do it, but only vaguely interested since I remember from biology class many years ago that there was lots of research going on to create blue roses.  I figured that if it was that hard to create a blue rose, I wasn't going to get rainbow ones from Hong Kong for $2.75!

Message 4 of 75
Latest reply

Yes the HongKong $2.75, see they have sold 228 items, nice profit of $627.

Wonder how many more buyers will be ripped off?

Message 5 of 75
Latest reply

One seller has 100 seeds for $1.87 and free postage.

I am tempted to buy some just to see what I do get in 2 or 3 years, probably a nice crop of privet or lantana or if I am really lucky a field of bindi-eye.

Message 6 of 75
Latest reply

mindtoobusy
Community Member

LOL @ Bump!!!  Goodness 100 seeds for $1.87 - Bargain price - could be anything :^O

What I don't understand is how they get through Customs.  I would have thought they would be an item that couldn't be brought into the country.

I have some memory of there being something on the threads ages ago about these seeds and people were reporting them.

I previously didn't even know you could grow a rose from seed - I can easily kill of ones I've bought from nurseries, so not sure how I would go with seeds.  I mean first of all you have to plant them - and that's probably where I would fail to begin with.

Hope lots of people report them and ebay get around to doing something sometime - who knows - miracles do happen!!!

Message 7 of 75
Latest reply

If they are Rose seeds, you will get a Rose, but it could be any colour and also be of poor quality.

Why waste your money, just go to your friend who has Roses growing and collect the seeds yourself.

Why waste your time and effort to grow a Rose from seed. You would be better to take some cutting in winter.

Message 8 of 75
Latest reply

Many seeds are allowed into Australia. Certain plants are banned due to they may bring into the country diseases.

The trouble is by the time the buyer grows their Rose seeds and they flower in a couple of years. The buyer have made off with hundreds or thousands of dollars. They seller will just disappear.

Come on E-bay, do something about this fake item!

Message 9 of 75
Latest reply

I also get sick of all the scam seed listings but there is nothing you can do about them. It is such a shame that so many people fall for them, especially beginner gardeners. The roses are fairly obvious but there is also a seller that always photoshops the pictures and gives a fake name to their seeds which are often NOT rare, then sells them for over the top prices. Luckily they style of listing is a give-away to me so I can see not to look at the listing straight away.

Giving new, made-up names to seeds muddies the waters and leads to draconian seed laws like those passing in the UK at the moment.

Latest reply