First sale under managed payments - 13.5% fee

After having managed payments activated for me today, I have had my first sale.

Item price was $68.00 and postage is $9.95. Total $77.95

Ebay now takes all fees upfront, so according to my the new tab under my Seller Hub, the nett balance due to me is $67.42, which I believe works out at 13.5%. I think this works out the same as when Ebay and Paypal took their different precentages separately?

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Yes, there doesn't appear to be any great saving worth celebrating.

Our boat isn't sailing until Augsut 10th.

How is postage worked out ?
When you purchase an ebay label is the amount taken from your linked bank account ?

Did your buyer pay using PayPal or aren't you told ?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Don't take it all too seriously.
Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Ours starts on 3rd August.

Another question - is there a simple way to process a partial refund (eg. excess postage) as there is in Paypal?

As the first to announce your activation, you're going to have quite a few questions thrown at you.
Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

@dontmissthese - I don't buy postage labels, so cannot help with that query, sorry.

I also can't see how the buyer paid.

@wideworld - there is nothing I can see at the moment on how to process a partial refund.

As an additional note - Ebay indicated that the buyer has paid and to send, but when I look at the order, it says "payment processing".

I think, however, that might be the payment being processed to my bank account, not that I am waiting on the buyers payment.

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Ebay now takes all fees upfront, so according to my the new tab under my Seller Hub, the nett balance due to me is $67.42, which I believe works out at 13.5%. I think this works out the same as when Ebay and Paypal took their different precentages separately?

I think the difference for most sellers is around 0.1%, which will make little to no difference for the majority of sellers - there are some who will be better off than that (eg sellers of tech over $250), and some who will be worse off now that there is no FVF cap, just a much lower percentage after $4k, but the saving will be barely noticable for the average seller - one of eBay's examples shows a mere $100 difference, from almost $11k in fees for sellers in collectible categories (which is the highest tier of FVF, along with media and fashion). That's in the ballpark of what I pay ebay over certain periods, and yeah, I've  already spent that impending savings on a coupla books. Smiley LOL

I'm yet to have my transition date confirmed, but apparently some are being switched without any email confirmation (anecdotally - this could also be a matter of missing the emails or they were filtered to spam folders, and obviously you need to be registered and verified for any switch to occur, anyway). 

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

I just sold a guitar for $1900 and was charged a whopping $262. Am beyond disgusted and after 21 years with eBay am taking all my expensive guitars off the platform, corporate greed has turned them into just another rip off institution with zero customer care or service.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

@cerisesant,

It might seem like quite a slice out of your takings, but that is 13.47% of $1,945 ($1,900 + $45 postage).  I can't think of cheaper online auction/selling platforms, as most of them do seem to charge rather more than this.

Auction houses would certainly charge quite a bit more. I understand Amazon is not at all kinder to their sellers and charges more.

You may be better off selling on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace. Where you sell depends very much upon your personal situation, whether you need a quite large pool of potential buyers, whether you prefer a local buyer, whether you're a professional seller or someone selling their personal items, and what sort of items you are selling.

After you do some calculations, it may even turn out that eBay is at present the best option for you - but only you can decide that.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Maybe some reading before selling would have helped?

Fees are not hidden.

Start selling on eBay | eBay

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

21 years selling means you should be very well aware of what fees you would be charged, which you agreed to when listing

As said, even if you were not a very experienced seller, the fees are no secret, not hidden and you do not have to list if you do not like them

eBay will not notice if you remove your listing or not, you agreed to the fees charged so that is all they care about............funny how you still have several items listed, seeing as how disgusted you are

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

I don't understand why people are complaining about fees

Everybody pays the same and you include these in your selling price, Makes no difference if the fees are 5% or 40% - as long as you are selling and get the price you want it makes no difference

As for cheaper marketplaces ......:

Catch - higher fees, payments in 2 weeks

Kogan - similar fees - payments 2-3 weeks

MyDeal - similar fees, payments in 3-4 weeks

So, if you compare eBay with other marketplaces, is the best, by far.

Of course small and seasonal sellers might not like it, but eBay is now, more for businesses and not for hobby sellers

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply