Getting blamed for Australia Post losing mail

I am getting really fed up with customers blaming me for items lost in the post. I sell mainly small items so tracking is not an option.  I've had a couple of negative feedbacks because of this, even though I have refunded or replaced the items. Mostly I get messages, sometimes very nasty. Does anyone else go through this?

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

@chameleon54 wrote:

It has got to be such an annoying problem that I have recently ordered some fake tracking number stickers to add to my letters. It will be interesting to see if this helps.

I think it will help you to get a few defects and/or negatives.

If it is one thing that seems to enrage buyers it is so called fake tracking numbers even when they are not fake but just not scanned by AP.

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

Lyndal, You are probably right if I was to upload the fake tracking numbers as genuine ones, but that is not the intention. I will just stick them to the front of the envelopes as a deterent to the online shoplifters who are becoming more of a problem.

I spoke to my local PO, to check if it was OK with them and they said the fake tracking stickers where becoming more common as AP has seen a big increase in compaints about supposed " lost mail ". Their view is that the problem isnt with AP, but with a recent rise in dishonest online buyers. Some of the scammers will probably wake up to the fake tracking numbers, but it might help for awhile.

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

I must be one of the lucky ones I think.I I have only had 1 item go missing in my 14 years on Ebay.That was an overseas item.I haven't had any complaints or refunds Either.I dont always use tracking but mostly do.I thank my lucky stars because going by some of the Ebayers on these boards the postal sytem is in chaos.

Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

I do not think it  a difference I would think those that Eshoplift plan to do it before the purchase and know about every trick under the sun. I would bet a dishonest person would know about fake tracking numbers. 

Personally I still sell somethings that are posted as a large letter and I get about 1 every 2 weeks 'go missing' I am sure some are legit and more than likely some may be a error by me I am only 99% perfect and some I am sure are robbing me. I just offer a refund/replacement right a way and so far that has been the end of it. My price include a small amount to cover this

Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

I have been doing the same as you, charging a bit extra on postage and then refunding. Trouble is I,m getting older and starting to suffer from grumpy old man syndrome. A couple of weeks ago I had a cocky young bug ger rub my nose in the fact he was claiming item not recieved and there was nothing I could do about it.

The stickers are a bit like a padlock on a shed. They wont stop the serious thieves, but they might discourage the opportunist.

Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

I do not think it  a difference I would think those that Eshoplift plan to do it before the purchase and know about every trick under the sun. I would bet a dishonest person would know about fake tracking numbers. 

Personally I still sell somethings that are posted as a large letter and I get about 1 every 2 weeks 'go missing' I am sure some are legit and more than likely some may be a error by me I am only 99% perfect and some I am sure are robbing me. I just offer a refund/replacement right a way and so far that has been the end of it. My price include a small amount to cover this

Around half of my items go as tracked parcels and half as untracked large letters. I have never had a claim for item not recieved for a tracked item, but seem to be getting rising numbers of claims for " lost letters" .  You would think if I am mis-addressing large letters, I would have a similar number of problems with tracked parcels.

Personally I just think the online shoplifters are becoming more brazen, as they know there is nothing we can do but suck it up and refund them. There I go again. ........ Grumpy old man syndrome....Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

Around half of my items go as tracked parcels and half as untracked large letters. I have never had a claim for item not recieved for a tracked item, but seem to be getting rising numbers of claims for " lost letters" .  You would think if I am mis-addressing large letters, I would have a similar number of problems with tracked parcels.

Personally I just think the online shoplifters are becoming more brazen, as they know there is nothing we can do but suck it up and refund them. There I go again. ........ Grumpy old man syndrome....Smiley Very Happy

I 100% get what you are saying I am a proud Grumpy old man 🙂 The large letters I send are small, cheapish, items. When I started back here I had very little money so they was to build up a little capital to play with. So I keep them there because they still earn me a few dollars but there is no doubt at all I get robbed if that amount increased to much, for me, it wouldn't be terrible because I could just stop selling them but when they was my main product it was very frustrating the amount that 'went missing'

As you rightly say it does not happen with tracked items though I recently had 2 go missing 1 turned up quick the other I do think was left in a not so safe place and has been stolen by a passerby or a light fingered post got an early Chrissy present but missing registered items is very rare. 

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

I guess one thing to do, is send registered post and either factor it into the buying price or add it to the postage. If I can send letter rate I pretty much always send it registered.

Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

@designers*n*more wrote:

I guess one thing to do, is send registered post and either factor it into the buying price or add it to the postage. If I can send letter rate I pretty much always send it registered.

Standard post plus registered is only marginally cheaper than a tracked parcel, without the extra physical protection a parcel affords.

Good thing I'm not paranoid. I send letter stuff at letter rates and the buyers get them. I know it's a radical idea, but I don't assume buyers are out to rip me off.

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply