How many sellers have had a gut full of chinese sellers lying about being australian seller

How many sellers have had a gut full of chinese sellers lying about being australian sellers with stock in sydney /darwin/ challora ETC

not only is it against ebays rules ( not that Ebay seems to care as there are thousands of them doing it) some have 800+ negative feedback within a year not only do they under cut the true AUSSIE seller because our beloved aus post will deliver their 500gm bag for 80 cents anywhere in australia yet we have to pay $6 to $8.50 for 500grm bag BUT THE BIG THING IS They suck millions of dollars a day out of australia via pay pal that never gets to recircculate within our economy no tax paid  so if anyone that reads this has connections within goverment or any one that can bring the hammer down on this dishonest unsafe ( as most of their products dont comply with our electrical certs or wels certs ) practice  and lets make enough noise that we bring this to ebays attention and get some action on this where is all that aussie patriotic pride that this country is renowned for ?????

Regards from FEELING RIPPED OFF

Message 1 of 66
Latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: How many sellers have had a gut full of chinese sellers lying about being australian seller

I agree with Ivak here...
We bought a $40 item about a year ago.
We smelled a rat when it had not arrived by the eBay EDD and found that the seller was registered in China but the item said it was in Botany, Sydney. So contacted the seller to enquire and received a broken English reply stalling for time and asking us to please wait.
So we opened an INR claim at that point and the seller immediately refunded us. About 2-months later the item turned up from China of course. We complained to eBay about the item misrepresentation but of course nothing happened at all.
So now if I am looking to buy anything on eBay I will actively seek out these dodgy Chinese sellers and treat them in this way. I reckon if eBay won't do anything and enough of us as buyers do this then they will lose to much to continue doing it.
Message 11 of 66
Latest reply

Re: How many sellers have had a gut full of chinese sellers lying about being australian seller

@clarry100 wrote:
We smelled a rat when it had not arrived by the eBay EDD and found that the seller was registered in China but the item said it was in Botany, Sydney. So contacted the seller to enquire and received a broken English reply stalling for time and asking us to please wait.
So we opened an INR claim at that point and the seller immediately refunded us. About 2-months later the item turned up from China of course. We complained to eBay about the item misrepresentation but of course nothing happened at all.
So now if I am looking to buy anything on eBay I will actively seek out these dodgy Chinese sellers and treat them in this way. I reckon if eBay won't do anything and enough of us as buyers do this then they will lose to much to continue doing it.

I agree with you clarry (& Ivak).

If something is listed as being in Australia, then it should be here. Bottom line. No buyer should have to go scrolling through other sections to investigate.

The postage time is sometimes a dead give away a seller might be lying about location, especially when ETA is set at about a month. 

I know the usual advice from people here is if ebay refunds for an item not received & it later turns up, the buyer should pay for it and I agree with that as a general rule.

But if it has been a case of deception, with a seller listing an item as in Australia with a reasonable shipping time & it turns up 2 months later from overseas, then bad luck. I think the only way a seller like that will stop is if they lose money by doing it.

Message 12 of 66
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@clarry100 wrote:

I agree with you clarry (& Ivak).

If something is listed as being in Australia, then it should be here. Bottom line. No buyer should have to go scrolling through other sections to investigate.

The postage time is sometimes a dead give away a seller might be lying about location, especially when ETA is set at about a month. 

I know the usual advice from people here is if ebay refunds for an item not received & it later turns up, the buyer should pay for it and I agree with that as a general rule.

But if it has been a case of deception, with a seller listing an item as in Australia with a reasonable shipping time & it turns up 2 months later from overseas, then bad luck. I think the only way a seller like that will stop is if they lose money by doing it.

In our case the postage time was given as about 2-weeks which at the time I thought was a little long. But since we were in no rush I ordered it anyway. Then of course the story above unfolded in the coming weeks.

Message 13 of 66
Latest reply

For me, one of the dead giveaways that an item is coming from China is the number of variations, and repeated identical listings. Often I need go no further than the gallery pics to know where the item is coming from.

Message 14 of 66
Latest reply

@readysetgo2u2015 wrote:

How many sellers have had a gut full of chinese sellers lying about being australian sellers with stock in sydney /darwin/ challora ETC

I am not really conserned where an item is. I usually look at estimated delivery time and if it can be delivered when I need it everything else does not matter.

When it really matters to get an item asap I always ask a seller to confirm it will be delivered within estimated timeframe. I usually warn a seller that if they are not excatly honest with their timeframes I will leave them a negative feedback just for that.  It works all the time.

My last purchase was one of this. It was Xaiomi smartphone that were listed only by what seems to be Chineese sellers but estimated time was less than 8 days, Its seller  confrimed it would  be delivered within this timeframe even though they sent me a message after purhase that sometimes they need to ship it from China. I do not know if they actually did it with this item but it was delivered within 5 working business days and it came via eParcel.from NSW

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 15 of 66
Latest reply

I agree; there are several giveaways to indicate when the seller is Chinese and sending from China, even though the item location may declare "SYDNEY", "BRISBANE", "ULURU", etc. It's always worth checking the negative feedback - something I do almost without thinking about it. It's almost a given that "wasn't sent from Australia - was sent from China" or something along those lines will show up in the feedback, along with "shipping took long time" and various comments about the quality of the items purchased.

The wording of the listing often gives a hint, as well as a few other subtle things.

If I'm in no hurry for a low-cost item that I can't find within Australia, I will look at Chinese sellers. (I may also do so if the items in Australia are very obviously the same item being sent by Chinese sellers, being sold for considerably more without any added value.)

Most of the time, when I have a medium- to relatively high-value smaller item (as in, not a car) to buy - unless it's an antique item or something to add to my dinner service - I buy from Australian retailers. Mostly I want to see the item in person. I like hands-on experience or viewing for many things, and I want Australian warranty and the knowledge that if there's a problem, the seller is on average no more than 30 minutes away (but frequently more like 20 minutes away).

For instance, a heater with a problem (blowing the fuses), a SodaStream machine not clicking the bottles in place, a Nespresso coffee machine whose frother wouldn't froth... These were easily resolved issues with exchanges on the spot or - in the case of the Nespresso machine - sending it away for repairs (free postage) while a loan machine was issued in the interim... because I couldn't survive without that coffee machine in the first delirium of its arrival!

For me, then, the reasons to avoid (in the main) purchasing from Chinese sellers on eBay are:

• lack of warranty
  • significant possibility of item being fake or non-genuine;
  • with electronic goods - safety issue;
  • with electronic goods - voltage and frequency;
  • problems with returning items for repair;
  • problems with returning items for exchange;
  • timeframe for arrival of goods;
  • quality of parts, components, etc.;
  • lifespan of item (it may look fine at first glance, but only time will tell);
  • actual capacity etc of item (e.g., cheap USBs);
  • fit and cut and quality of fabric for clothing;
  • Australian small sellers unable to compete in flooded categories;
  • lack of good customer service; and/or
  • buying Australian where possible is better for the economy.

Message 16 of 66
Latest reply

Oh boy, I hear you, especially about your nespresso milk frother not frothing. Ours just died but it is out of warranty.Smiley Frustrated

The coffee part still works. And my soda stream needs re-gassing. For a minute I thought I was reading a list of my own stuff when I saw your post.Smiley Very Happy

For sure, for things with moving parts or electricals and so on-I like to buy from real stores.

I've bought quite a few things from China-small things- and I have never, ever been let down. The items arrived on time, I had no hassles. But in every case, they were listed as Chinese sellers & the ETA made it clear it was coming from China.

The only exception I've had was for a book. I don't know where it was coming from actually. It was listed as Sydney but had an ETA of a month. I too checked feedback & every second person mentioned the long wait & the fact they suspected it was drop shipped. I was pretty sure of that too but as it wasn't something I needed urgently & I couldn't find it elsewhere, I bought.

I knew the score I suppose but I do hate what I think of as sneaky sellers. They may not always exactly lie but they don't disclose the whole truth either.

Message 17 of 66
Latest reply

springyzone, I decided - after the Great Milk Froth Catastrophe - to buy a red Aeroccino milk frother as I'd heard that the quality of the froth was better. It took a bit of doing to find one in red (to match my Latissima machine), but I managed it. (And yes, the froth is good.)

It's not as though I don't have other coffee alternatives, but I was in love with the pods at that time. I wasn't about to be cappuccino-less or caffé latte-less, not if I could help it.

Re the SodaStream, have you switched to the 6kg gas cylinders? The adapters and large gas cylinders are available from a company in Springvale VIC. It's much better value in the long run than having those itsy bitsy little SodaStream cylinders exchanged every three or four weeks.

I've bought feather pens from Chinese sellers (awful ink quality, but it's about the display, really)... My father's bought a cello bow (quality was okay, but definitely not as good as the one I imported from Romania if I remember correctly)... I've also helped my parents buy some stove guards (after Glad Stove Guards became unavailable) - they were much much thinner, almost like tin foil, so definitely not of the expected / stated quality! But they were better than nothing.

I've ordered some biodegradable soup spoons from a Chinese seller as well, as a test run to see whether they're genuinely compostable/biodegradable, and whether they hold their shape during use with hot soup. That is going to be interesting...

Message 18 of 66
Latest reply

Wow, thank you so much for that info. I actually used to live in Springvale (decades ago when I was young) and it is still only a 20 min drive away.

I'm missing my daily cappuccino although I do love my green tea too, so I am making do.

China is great for wedding bombonniers and a lot of craft type items. I have had some very friendly and helpful service from some Chinese sellers.

I wasn't that impressed with some shower caps i bought-much thinner than the usual type I buy here, but I gave good feedback because they came in the estimated time, they had been sent quickly and marked as such and in all honesty, what could I expect for 99c with free postage.Smiley Happy

I've also got a lovely glass tea pot that came from China (err, not through ebay). I paid a small fortune for a Tupperware one that cracked on its second use. Unfortunately I had left it in the box a few months before I used it, so nope, not covered. The Chinese one, at about a sixth of the price, has given me better service.

But phones & electricals etc, nope, no way.

Maybe I should have picked up that Rolex for $10 when I was over there though.Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 66
Latest reply

We purchased a Xim Apex.

The seller had 2 listings - 1 with a location of Australia, Australia and 1 Hong Kong, Hong Kong

The one located in Australia was $10 dearer and had an EDD of 3-10 days. The one from Hong Kong had an EDD between 3-7 weeks.

We bought the one advertised as being in Australia and it arrived in 3 business days so very happy with that

ozstockman wrote

I am not really conserned where an item is. I usually look at estimated delivery time and if it can be delivered when I need it everything else does not matter.

When it really matters to get an item asap I always ask a seller to confirm it will be delivered within estimated timeframe. I usually warn a seller that if they are not excatly honest with their timeframes I will leave them a negative feedback just for that.  It works all the time.

My last purchase was one of this. It was Xaiomi smartphone that were listed only by what seems to be Chineese sellers but estimated time was less than 8 days, Its seller  confrimed it would  be delivered within this timeframe even though they sent me a message after purhase that sometimes they need to ship it from China. I do not know if they actually did it with this item but it was delivered within 5 working business days and it came via eParcel.from NSW

Message 20 of 66
Latest reply