IS A BONE A BONE?

FAUX MEANS FAKE/FALSE.

MANY SELLERS HAVE PUT THE WORD "FAUX" BEFORE THE WORD "BONE"  IN THEIR ITEM DESCRIPTIONS.

IF, TO KEEP EBAY HAPPY, THIS COMPLIES WITH EBAY'S SO-CALLED IVORY POLICY, IT ALSO PROVIDES A LOOPHOLE TO BUYERS.

IF A BUYER PURCHASES A FAUX-BONE KNIFE, RECEIVES IT AND DISCOVERS THAT ITS REALLY BONE, SAID BUYER IS TECHNICALLY ENTITLED TO A FULL REFUND BECAUSE ITS "NOT AS DESCRIBED"

DADDYKOOL

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

IS A BONE A BONE?

No, that's not eBays policy, it's your abridged version.

Message 41 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

OK.   Here it is in full.    I thought we were only discussing bone

From here -

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/wildlife.html

Due to many complex laws and regulations both Australia and internationally, the sale of any form of ivory is strictly prohibited on eBay.

Restricted 

Restricted

• Bone from non-ivory producing, non-endangered animals as long as the species is clearly stated in the listing description and not in violation of the seller's specific state laws

• Man-made resin, or vegetable ivory as long as the listing description specifies what the item is made of

• Fossilised mammoth teeth or bone, as long as they are listed in the Fossils category. Fossilised mammoth tusks are still prohibited.

Not allowed

Not allowed

• Bone from animals that produce ivory, including elephants, walruses and whales

• Carved and uncarved ivory

• Fossilised ivory

• Raw ivory

• Fossilised mammoth tusk

Message 42 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:

DK, here is a suggestion. Do you have your own site or blog that you can direct people to. Now there is nothing about linking to outside sites (as long as the items cannot be purchased there) that is against ebay policy.

So create a blog, list the suspect knives on there with title and the price. Put a link to the blog in each of you ebay approved listings saying something like more knives available click on the link to view. Then if they want them you can make a private listing for the buyer without a title that will grab ebays attention.

Thank you for your suggestion re external links etc, BUT that's also against eBay policy.

DK

Message 43 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

@imastawka wrote:

OK.   Here it is in full.    I thought we were only discussing bone

From here -

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/wildlife.html

Due to many complex laws and regulations both Australia and internationally, the sale of any form of ivory is strictly prohibited on eBay.

Restricted 

Restricted

• Bone from non-ivory producing, non-endangered animals as long as the species is clearly stated in the listing description and not in violation of the seller's specific state laws

• Man-made resin, or vegetable ivory as long as the listing description specifies what the item is made of

• Fossilised mammoth teeth or bone, as long as they are listed in the Fossils category. Fossilised mammoth tusks are still prohibited.

Not allowed

Not allowed

• Bone from animals that produce ivory, including elephants, walruses and whales

• Carved and uncarved ivory

• Fossilised ivory

• Raw ivory

• Fossilised mammoth tusk

Thanks very much for your valued advice and showing me what I already knew.

Perhaps others may gain benefit. And yes, we were discussing bone. Not Faux-Bone. 

Man has been using bone and Crown Stag (legal on eBay) handles on knives for centuries. Including Human (not endangered).

Essentially, I'm not allowed to tell my customers the truth in Australia. (Or what's described on the side of the box for that matter).

However, I would thank you for your valued input.

D.K.

Message 44 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

You just need to sell lots of items so that you make lots of money for them and become a "protected" seller

and then you can list all sorts of things.

There is a Aussie computer seller on here that have clearly stated in their description that you can purchase

from their website  and then for good  measure have their website stated,(they have being reported on

numerous occasions but not a single listing has ever been removed as they make good FVF for this site).

They are a protected seller that's not Chinese,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Unfortunately this site has rules that favour their "protected" sellers and hang the rest,(as long as you bring

in good money via FVF or are a Chinese seller then you can list whatever you like as policies don't apply then.

Get an expert opinion of what bone was used for the handle and then clearly state it in the listing,(that

complies with the listing policy as long as it doesn't violate your state law),good.gif

Message 45 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

what is the problem again,you cannot have 1 of your many knifes not allowed to be listed , a couple of times now.. 

for the tenth time ,whatever your product is made from ,it does not matter ebay bods or whoever do not want you to list this knife ,its not a legal problem. if ebay policy is not to sell green paint on there site then dont sell green paint., it has nothing to do with laws, state law or fedeal law or even your mother in law. the next time it wont be a month but  it could be 1 year suspension , unless you change the wording or dont sell that 1 knife you have out of 50 odd knifes [its not worth it] its like customs once they check you for a problem they will check everything you do from now on , and ebay will be the same ,you are on there special list , now is it worth you to maybe have trouble with your other 49 items  you are going the write way about it. 

Message 46 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

@joethenuts wrote:

what is the problem again,you cannot have 1 of your many knifes not allowed to be listed , a couple of times now.. 

for the tenth time ,whatever your product is made from ,it does not matter ebay bods or whoever do not want you to list this knife ,its not a legal problem. if ebay policy is not to sell green paint on there site then dont sell green paint., it has nothing to do with laws, state law or fedeal law or even your mother in law. the next time it wont be a month but  it could be 1 year suspension , unless you change the wording or dont sell that 1 knife you have out of 50 odd knifes [its not worth it] its like customs once they check you for a problem they will check everything you do from now on , and ebay will be the same ,you are on there special list , now is it worth you to maybe have trouble with your other 49 items  you are going the write way about it. 

I am legally entitled to legally sell anything that I can legally import.

I CHOOSE to sell them.  it is MY right as a seller. People need them.

Every single Seller on eBay has the same right.

if I can prove that an item I import has been through Australian Customs, then why do I need to prove it to eBay?

Simply saying "don't sell it" is compounding the issue if the only thing you sell is green paint or bone handled knives.

Yes, it DOES have to do with Australian Law, because every single thing I obtain from my Suppliers is intensely scrutinised by Customs.

No, it's NOT the same knife that was picked up a couple of times, you did not read my original post.

may I respectfully suggest you read it again.

i do however thank you for your extremely valued input.

Message 47 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

i truly understand your problem .

but its there site and if they dont want bananas sold on there site well thats up to them . personly i think all your knifes are the same , but i dont own ebay , they have a problem with that particular knife for what ever reason, just like they can say to me we wont allow green paint sold on ebay.  

Message 48 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

no it is not. You are allow to link to external site to give more information on products as long as they are not for sale there. Read the policy yourself or just ignore my perfectly good advise and continue to wallow in your misery, either way I care not
Message 49 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

Hello everyone, 

Please remember it is against the Discussion Board usage Policy to post hostile or disruptive comments including interpersonal disputes!

You can review the policies below.

Discussion Board Usage Policy

Content Policy

Thanks

Luna-2304

Community Moderator

Message 50 of 55
Latest reply