If I set a bidding price on an item at .99, and someone doesn't go any higher than that what do I do

smeedala00
Community Member

If I set a bidding price on an item at .99, and someone doesn't go any higher than that, or they do not offer an acceptable price for me  what do I do?

Thank you

Joe

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: If I set a bidding price on an item at .99, and someone doesn't go any higher than that what do

it happens often if you are perusing the boards. You can end up anywhere, depending on what you click on.

eg Click on a feedback here you can end up on the US site. I assume the same applies in reverse.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Re: If I set a bidding price on an item at .99, and someone doesn't go any higher than that what do

an attempt at globilising the platform, at our perils I guess... The internet in the next few years will undergo a major revamp, I feel, the 'customer', who always win at the end, will put the lot thru a sieve and there won't be much left except for email, relevant -and genuine- info, etc, the bare essentials... The gouging of theavent, the beginning of the WWW will soon be a thing of the past and the biggest will not resist the 'new era clean', scores will be setteld, the more honest will survive, whatever their size...

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

....pigs will fly....

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

sounds like an old bob dylan song (and I guess others) , no offence intended.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
i understand the idea of starting prices at 99c to generate interest and hopefully bids (and item gets bid up) but i will never list anything with a starting price of less than what i am happy with (profit)

What baffles me (as a buyer) when i buy an item and they post it with a higher cost than what they actually get from the auction, or they actually get their postage costs wrong

I recently won an auction for something that cost me $3 with $1.40 postage ($4.40 total cost) and the item came in a padded envelope with $7.20 post meaning he actually lost $3.80 plus fees.

I didnt feel bad though. The guy packed the item shockingly and if he laid it out better could have easily fit it in the bag as a large letter (under 2cm thickness)

the moral of the story is work out your costs and postage properly.. and fees.. and base your starting price on what you are actually happy to end up with in your hand
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I would feel bad about it, and email them to say that i would make up the difference (Just to "rub it in their face"....Smiley Surprised). Most sellers I would assume would say not to worry about it.

It takes the right item to start at no reserve. I have sold items at below cost before but I didn;t really care beacause I was sick of looking at the stuff. Plus it may have drummed up a little more business.

Old postage stamps can be purchased at 50% face value (usually around 75% face) but it takes it a lot of sorting and licking.

With ebays system postage costs are a choir to manage.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

not at all offended, I love Dylan and late Lou Reed also, and many other great Robin Hoods...

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

If I set a bidding price on an item at .99, and someone doesn't go any higher than that, or they do not offer an acceptable price for me  what do I do?

Thank you

Joe

-----------------------------------------------

Simple. Don't list at 99c

Always start at your minimum acceptable price.

From what i can make out, people who start off at 99c often get burnt. A lot of things don't get a rush of bidders at all and even if they do, the price might still only go up to about $1.50 and you're probably not going to be happy with that either.

I've picked up a few items at 99c or not much more and doubt the sellers were that thrilled with their sale.

Start higher where you will be happy.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply