Info needed for return request

Hi all, for the first time as a seller ( many years) I have had a return request.

Buyer  bought a book over a month ago  & wants to return it as he doesn’t like it & the print is too small.

What to do.?

Message 1 of 77
Latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

If you don't accept returns for change of mind,  I don't see why he should be allowed to get away with it.    If he hasn't opened a case yet, maybe the 30 days ??  will run out.

Probably we could do with a few more details, like was it really tiny print ? 

Message 11 of 77
Latest reply

Thanks, I’m at a disadvantage at the moment as I’m in the wilds of Bali & can’t always get Wifi.

Will see what his reply to my email telling him to send back at his own cost. I’m presuming he hasn’t opened a case, as I’ve just received Notice from EBay telling me refund request & I have 4 days to reply, which I’ve already done.

This is not opening a case is it?  Sorry to sound dumb but I don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to a return.

Message 12 of 77
Latest reply

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/returns-refunds#returns-refunds-sellers

Don't forget to block this buyer after this request is completed.

Message 13 of 77
Latest reply

I'm not a seller but if you've had a message from ebay itself, telling you about a refund request and giving you 4 days to reply, I'd say that sounds very much as if the buyer has opened a case.

Lucky that you have sent a reply and told the buyer it is a change of mind return.

I think it is extremely cheeky of any buyer to read a book and ask for a refund because they don't like it or the print size, especially after a month. If the print was too small I think a buyer might request a return immediately. This buyer knows exactly how to work the system, I suspect.

If you run into trouble, I'd contact chat for help as you have their message admitting they 'don't like it', which is basically change of mind return.

Message 14 of 77
Latest reply

I agree, Springy.

Apparently the print was too small, but large enough for the buyer to read the book and decide he didn't like it...

Message 15 of 77
Latest reply

first the 30 days:   30 calendar days after the estimated or actual delivery date or within the seller's stated returns window, whichever is longer.

and change of mind:

If the buyer is asking to return the item because it's damaged, faulty, or didn't match your listing description, then you need to accept the return. If they've opened the return for another reason, for instance if they ordered the wrong item or changed their mind, then you aren't required to accept the return – however, where possible we always suggest providing a great customer experience.

Message 16 of 77
Latest reply

Thanks, I’ve no idea how small the print was - it was sent a month ago.  Just a normal paperback, mass produced.  He must have been able to read it as his reason for return was He didn’t like it & he added about the print size in additional comments.  

Message 17 of 77
Latest reply

Sounds like he has opened a case.

You can go to your resolution centre to check and if so, all the details will be there.

If a case has been opened, but the buyer has put "change of mind" as the reason, then I guess you can accept it and the onus will be on the buyer to send it back.

If, however, the case says "not as described", then things are a bit more difficult.

Check there first and come back to us and let us if there is a case and what it says.

Message 18 of 77
Latest reply

OP has No Returns Accepted on their listings.

Doesn't have to accept change of mind if that's the reason given for case opened.

Message 19 of 77
Latest reply

No, but the OP might be afraid of negative feedback if she does not accept the return. It could and should be removed, but it does not always happen.

The buyer should pay for postage though.

Message 20 of 77
Latest reply