Info needed for return request

Hi all, for the first time as a seller ( many years) I have had a return request.

Buyer  bought a book over a month ago  & wants to return it as he doesn’t like it & the print is too small.

What to do.?

Message 1 of 77
Latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Thanks, yes he has opened a case, day 29.

He has put in his reason as “didn’t like it”  & in the comments “print too small.”  I’m assuming this qualifies as change of mind & have sent him an email that I will refund book price only on return of book via tracked postage.

Do I need to do anything else at this stage. What happens if he doesn’t reply - what’s my timing with EBay.

I can’t do much of anything as my Wifi in Bali keeps dropping out & I’m not due home until the 18th.  

Message 21 of 77
Latest reply

Lynne, 

your buyer has indeed opened a return case. 
You must reply to your buyer via the system in the return case. 
Your usual eBay messages won’t do.
And don’t ever reply using your personal email. 

You have 4 days to reply to the case …. But…. We need to know what reason your buyer used to initiate the return. 

If you miss the 4 day deadline, eBay may refund without your day-so. 

Don’t let this happen …. Get onto it. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 22 of 77
Latest reply

There's no way I would accept a return.    He "didn't like it"  is specifically covered in ebays return policies:

quoting....

Refunds by law: In Australia, consumers have a legal right to obtain a refund from a business if the goods purchased are faulty, not fit for purpose or don't match the seller's description. More information at returnsreturns - opens in a new window or tab.

As an Australian consumer, you have a legal right to return items purchased from a business and to receive a repair, replacement or refund if the items:

• Are faulty or develop a fault within a reasonable period of time after purchase
  • Aren't fit for purpose (i.e. they don't do what the seller said they would do)
  • Don't match the seller's description or sample
  • Are of unacceptable quality; or
  • Fail to meet other mandatory consumer guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law.

You may be required to return the goods and to provide proof of purchase. Remember, your rights to a return, replacement or refund for faulty or non-compliant goods are in addition to any other rights under the seller's return policy or any warranty that comes with the goods.

Consumer guarantees don't apply if you:

• Simply changed your mind, found the product cheaper elsewhere, or decided you don't like or need the product
  • Misused a product and have caused or contributed to the failure of the goods, for example, by damaging or misusing the goods.  .... unquote
Message 23 of 77
Latest reply

Thanks for your help.  Once it became a case I sent another message through the system in the return case.  His reason on the case was “didn’t like it”  & in his comments he put “print too small.”  I’m assuming this qualifies as change of mind?

Told him I will refund price of book only if he returns by tracked mail.

Told him I have a no returns policy for change of mind but will refund on return.

What’s my timing & do next now?

Message 24 of 77
Latest reply

Thanks, I’m having trouble with emails & trying to find info as Wifi here in Bali is sketchy at best & I’m not home until the 18th.  Can I just refuse the case based on what you ‘ve listed above or do EBay then step in & refund anyway.  I’m confused as to how it progresses from here now I’ve replied to him.

Message 25 of 77
Latest reply

When a buyer opens a return request, we'll notify you by email (to your registered email address) and through eBay Messages - opens in new window or tab. You have 3 business days to respond to the request and resolve the buyer's issue. We've outlined your response options below. In certain cases, we may automatically accept a return request on your behalf.

If you're unable to sort things out within this time, the buyer may ask us to step in and help find a solution. In some cases, if you haven't responded to the return request, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you without requiring the buyer to return the item.

Message 26 of 77
Latest reply

What kind of excuse is ' didn't like it ' - how would he know if he didn't read it. lol

I can only gather nowhere in the description was stated - ' large print ' - and can also only gather he didn't ask before buying.

Stick to the return postage at his cost - with tracking.

Have a great stay in Bali.

Message 27 of 77
Latest reply

As  it is a change of mind, return request, there is no need to message the buyer unless you wish to offer a partial refund.   

The buyer is responsible for the return postage cost, which has to be tracked and return address will be provided by ebay.

Really your only decision is to accept or decline the return, personally I would decline the return and deal with any -FB later

Message 28 of 77
Latest reply

So, having sent email telling him I’ll refund on return of book, can I now just decline request & await developments, or do I have to await a reply from him.  I’m conscious of the 4 days that EBay has told me I have.  Have I complied with that by sending him the email?  Do I now do nothing & it’s his turn?  
And I did not have anything about print size & he did not ask me.  Just bought the book, received it, no correspondence from him & 29 days later refund request as he “didn’t like it”.

Message 29 of 77
Latest reply

The ball is in his court.

Message 30 of 77
Latest reply