Info needed for return request

Hi all, for the first time as a seller ( many years) I have had a return request.

Buyer  bought a book over a month ago  & wants to return it as he doesn’t like it & the print is too small.

What to do.?

Message 1 of 77
Latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

I am not a seller. but I think Dom is right. The ball is now in his court. Maybe he will decline to pay for postage, in which case you can then decline the return too because you don't have to pay for return postage for change of mind.

But if he accepts, I think you will have to go ahead with the return because you have already stated you accept the return if he pays for return postage.

(I think you should reply in the return case rather than by PM, but eBay does have access to PMs too if necessary.)

Message 31 of 77
Latest reply

No - PM's - definitely no PM's.

Leave it up to him - he wants a refund after a month - probably having read the book - he will have paid postage both ways - somehow I doubt he will - and if no return - no refund.

He either takes the offer - or not.

And as Stawks has already noticed - the seller has - no returns - so it is a generous offer.

Message 32 of 77
Latest reply

Thanks, I’m happy to refund for the book on it’s return, but definitely will not pay postage for him not liking it.  
I think at this stage it’s really about the ethics of the case.  If you went to a store & told them you didn’t like it, I doubt you’d be getting your money back.

I guess I’ll wait & see what he does.

Message 33 of 77
Latest reply

The books the OP has sold seem to be cheap... , some cheaper than postage. I don't know which book the buyer has bought, but he might indeed decline if he has to pay more for return postage than for the book, or about the same price.

Message 34 of 77
Latest reply

I think tracked postage to return is probably the cost of the book in the first place.

I think he'll decline

Message 35 of 77
Latest reply

So do I.

Message 36 of 77
Latest reply

Lynne - there would still be an overarching pre-determined reason for the return request.

It would be something like "Item Not as Described", or "Change of Mind". Don't look at what the buyer has written in the case notes, you need to look at what the actual reason is for the case. Based on that, you can determine your path.

Message 37 of 77
Latest reply

But... he can't say that the item is not as described if the OP didn't state in the listing that it was large print for example. If the print is not really extremely small (smaller than average) he doesn't have a case in my opinion.

If the OP tells us the item number, maybe we can have a look online (Amazon in particular often has previews of books inside).

Message 38 of 77
Latest reply

@lynne8221 wrote:

So, having sent email telling him I’ll refund on return of book, can I now just decline request & await developments, or do I have to await a reply from him.  I’m conscious of the 4 days that EBay has told me I have.  Have I complied with that by sending him the email?  Do I now do nothing & it’s his turn?  
And I did not have anything about print size & he did not ask me.  Just bought the book, received it, no correspondence from him & 29 days later refund request as he “didn’t like it”.

I would allow the buyer a short amount of time to respond to your message, if no reply I would simply decline the return.  I would certainly be making sure the matter is resolved, prior to the return timing out.

Message 39 of 77
Latest reply

OK - from his discussion

Ordered by mistake
• Arrived damaged
Don't like it
• Missing parts or pieces
Changed my mind
• Item is defective
• Received wrong item
• Doesn't fit